Whats Bottle-necking Me?

g4b3

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
My question is, why can't I run Crysis 2 or Starcraft 2 very well? My drivers are up to date, and my hardware should be able to play theses games fine. Any ideas?

My Specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
8 GB G.Skill Ripjaw X
990XA-UD3 Gigabyte Motherboard
GTX 560 Ti
Antec 650 watt PSU
Western Digital 7200 RPM HD

g4b3

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
My ideal fps would be 60. I can barley get 30 . . . and changing the graphics options makes little to no difference . . . it will run the same on ultra as it will on the lowest.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
You should be able to run Starcraft 2 fine. My friend had good fps with his 5770 on 1920x1080. Crysis 2 Directx 11 requires more power from your GPU. 560 ti will only get you around 2x-30 fps at 1920x1080...

calmstateofmind

Distinguished

That's odd. You should be seeing performance changes...

I'm thinking it's a driver issue. Try using Driver Sweeper to check for unneeded drivers for your graphics card.

Btw, are you OCing your card at all?

calmstateofmind

Distinguished

If that's the case then s/he should reapply some thermal paste to the CPU and make sure the CPU fan is correctly installed. But I don't believe that's the case, seeing as the problem isn't experienced at any other time - only when playing games, and the performance stays the same. If it were throttling, a difference in FPS/performance would be more drastic, and the game would start off with high performance then drop dramatically...but that isn't the case.

123Geeks

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011

g4b3,

Try going beyond your OS and into the motherboard's BIOS....check to see if there is an update for your BIOS and carefully flash your BIOS if there is one...check to see if your motherboard is properly clocking your RAM correctly...ie. if you bought DDR3 1600 RAM 9-9-9-24 make sure it is clocked properly at 1600 (I could use more info on that) AMD chipsets are picky with RAM settings on AUTO (you can also do that in the BIOS settings)...(segway) Also go to AMD's website and download the latest driver's for your motherboard's chipset...they also have a few other software packages that are useful (AMD Overdrive, ect)...Error check and disc defrag HDD...hmmm...Are you overclocking CPU?....

Good luck!! Hope this helps....

123Geeks