First time builder [resolved]

mad_hatter

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
I had planned to only upgrade the graphic card since the Nvidia 7300 died but the one I purchased required a higher power supply than the 375 my dell xps 410 had.

I purchased a corsair 650w and a EVGA GEFORCE gtx 550 ti since I wanted something to handle Skyrim.

I received them today and put them in exactly as the instructions stated. The tower did nothing but blink amber.

I called Corsair again and they told me to do a paper clip test. At first the fan on the power supply spun, quit, then spun again but I figured I might have done it wrong. Then I watched a youtube tutorial and retried, This time the fan spun until I shut it off.

Only thing I can think of is that it is the motherboard and I need to upgrade that as well. The specs for the huge paperweight I have are.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-xps-410-desktop/4507-3118_7-31986893.html

Only one seagate in it
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86ghz

I'd like a motherboard that is under $130 (Saved $75 so far but I know that probably isn't enough) and will handle the upgrades I already have.
Thanks to anyone in advance for helping the builder newb.

mad_hatter

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
The Power supply suddenly started to work when I took out the memory cards and put the memory back in. I have no idea why this worked but I was trying to take things out one by one to see if that would work and apparently it did.

Now I just have to find out why it's saying floppy disk failure.

Thank you to everyone who helped, I really appreciate it.

mad_hatter

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
It says "no boot drive found"
I ordered a replacement boot repair disk to see if that would work.

Since this is no longer about motherboards, I'll go to the appropriate forum.