Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need radeon hd 6870 card replaced...have no idea what to get. :(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 26, 2011 10:29:30 PM

I built my first computer about 4 months ago and I had this problem: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304770-33-artifacts-g...

Well as it turns out, I RMA'd the card and after inspecting my card, this is what they told me: "we found your card surface mount component damage was physical damaged. Please see the attached pictures for your information. Due to the manufacturer has the strict policy on the damaged card therefore your video card void warranty. I will send it back to you shortly. Thank you and please understand."

Yes, I know that sentence doesn't even make sense.

I never did anything that would cause such damage...I didn't even touch it much except for when I first put it on my mobo and obviously when I took it out to send it back.

Anyways long story short, I am not getting the card replaced by them and I need to buy a new one. Yes, I am very disappointed but at the same time I don't want the computer to go to waste without a graphics card.

The problem here is that a friend of mine picked the parts (I am a noob at these things), and since I cant get a hold of him atm, I don't know what to get..so I came here. :D 

I want something that is like the card I had gotten ( link to it here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304770-33-artifacts-g... ). I want to make sure that I will be able to use it with no problems (specs are also on the link). Preferably an nvidia (now that I've had a problem with AMD's HIS card)..and around the same price ($220ish).

I hope you guys can help, thanks!
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2011 11:24:22 PM

Well, HIS and AMD are 2 completely separate companies, so there's no reason at all to discount AMD over HIS's warranty policy. Most companies are not going to warranty against physical damage to a card as it's considered physical abuse.

Honestly, I'd give Asus a shot with this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you're just dead set against using another AMD product, I'd suggest this card from Gigabyte: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I'm aware it's a bit over your stated price, but it's performance exceeds that of the HD6870, and is a current generation card from nVidia.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2011 11:33:44 PM

I second the Asus recommendation, the DirectCU cooling is an awesome cooling solution. Consider any of the second-revision 6870s, for that matter.

And if you're willing to pay about 15 extra dollars, you could always go with an XFX 6870... they have a double lifetime warranty.

"Once the product is registered, XFX warrants that should the graphics card purchased require service or repairs as the result of defects in materials or workmanship, XFX will make those repairs for free. If the card cannot be repaired, it will be replaced. However, the warranty does not include refunds."

Don't let a sour experience with one manufacturer turn you off completely from AMD GPUs.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 26, 2011 11:34:57 PM

Thanks, I'll wait and see what other people have to say/recommend. That Gigabyte would work fine with the rest of the stuff I have though right? Like for example, is the PSU enough? Sorry, I just want to make sure I don't go through another problem again. I am fairly new at this and my first experience building a computer hasn't been a bed of roses. :)  Thank you.

EDIT: Thanks wannaturnuptheheat, I'll check out your recommendations as well.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2011 11:40:22 PM

That PSU is more than enough, you could literally Crossfire 6870s on it (not sure on the 560's power draw, but since your mobo only has one x16 slot it's a theoretical value anyway, I wouldn't recommend Crossfire).

Again, though, don't knock AMD from your future components because of one manufacturer. I know it's a hard way to have your first build go, but sometimes cards are messed up from the get-go, and not all companies are willing to part with their money. There are Nvidia card manufacturers like that too, rest assured.
m
0
l
February 26, 2011 11:48:24 PM

How do you guys feel about the reviews on the asus card though?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2011 11:55:06 PM

Asus has some of the better products on the market in terms of quality and performance. They also use some of the best coolers.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2011 11:56:48 PM

technicolors said:
How do you guys feel about the reviews on the asus card though?


It's Newegg. One person complained that it failed (one out of HOW MANY satisfied customers?) And remember what I said about some parts being DOA (or DOP [purchase], if you buy it in-person?). It can't be helped.

One person complained it doesn't perform as well as a card about $50 more expensive. WELL GEE WHO SAW THAT ONE COMING.

After that you get into the 3-stars, and those are always the people who complain about superficial things (they don't like its aesthetics, it doesn't magically run at 40 degrees celsius under load, and so on), and it gets better from there on out.

Spend as much time looking at Newegg reviews as I have, and it gets to be second-nature. Really, that one's pretty good -- 4.something-Egg average? Good frickin' deal.
m
0
l
February 27, 2011 1:12:16 AM

Well I am convinced, I'll go with the ASUS one. Thank you both!

While I am here, I have a bit of a situation...The temperatures have changed from my cpu/mobo/HDD from the time I made that first topic. Should I be worried? I am thinking that they have increased because it's not winter here anymore so its noticeably hotter in my room. It might also be that the fans are now just a bit dusty?

Here are the temps:

old: http://i51.tinypic.com/2jhbwx.png

current: http://i56.tinypic.com/5bccz.png

Once again, thank you guys and hope all goes well. :D 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2011 1:15:17 AM

technicolors said:
Well I am convinced, I'll go with the ASUS one. Thank you both!

While I am here, I have a bit of a situation...The temperatures have changed from my cpu/mobo/HDD from the time I made that first topic. Should I be worried? I am thinking that they have increased because it's not winter here anymore so its noticeably hotter in my room. It might also be that the fans are now just a bit dusty?

Here are the temps:

old: http://i51.tinypic.com/2jhbwx.png

current: http://i56.tinypic.com/5bccz.png


Meh, can't help you with the CPU (AMD guy, my CPU idles around upper 30s/low 40s and I'm not even worried), and your HDD temps about match mine (and that's with a HAF 912 case and a 200mm fan sucking air into the case directly past the HDDs). My room is fairly toasty... so no, I see nothing especially wrong there...

Although good call, you should be cleaning your fans every couple of weeks, if not more often than that.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2011 1:19:37 AM

I tend to look at the 1-2 star reviews. Basically, as long as there are no major complaints (constant image corruption, no POST [power on self test] issues, fan failure concerns, etc), I'll buy. Good reviews, though nice to see, don't really tell you anything about overall product quality. Most leaving 2-4 star reviews tend to focus on aesthetics too much. Does it really matter how a graphics card looks, if you're not going to see it after you install it?? Unless you're sensitive to noise, does it really matter if the fan is audible so long as the card stays cool?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2011 1:22:27 AM

sykozis said:
I tend to look at the 1-2 star reviews. Basically, as long as there are no major complaints (constant image corruption, no POST [power on self test] issues, fan failure concerns, etc), I'll buy. Good reviews, though nice to see, don't really tell you anything about overall product quality. Most leaving 2-4 star reviews tend to focus on aesthetics too much. Does it really matter how a graphics card looks, if you're not going to see it after you install it?? Unless you're sensitive to noise, does it really matter if the fan is audible so long as the card stays cool?


Oh, don't get me wrong, I comb the low-egg reviews to see if something is consistently DOA, any major issues like you said, and so on... But when the review spread is that curve from a ton of 5-Eggs to a handful of 1-Eggs, I just write it off to typical DOA complaints (especially if I read through them and everyone's like "OMG DOA NEWEGG/THIS COMPANY SUXXORZ!!! >: '( )
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2011 1:33:41 AM

wannaturnuptheheat said:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I comb the low-egg reviews to see if something is consistently DOA, any major issues like you said, and so on... But when the review spread is that curve from a ton of 5-Eggs to a handful of 1-Eggs, I just write it off to typical DOA complaints (especially if I read through them and everyone's like "OMG DOA NEWEGG/THIS COMPANY SUXXORZ!!! >: '( )


I do look for trends in reviews....like excessive positive or negative reviews that are very closely worded. Some companies have been caught posting positive reviews for their products. Also, if there's a positive review the day the product goes on the market, I'll avoid it.
m
0
l
!