Sign in with
Your question

How to Connect a sata hard drive to Pantium 4 motherboard

Last response: in Components
August 1, 2011 8:34:58 AM

I have bought a HCL PC in the year 2006, with Pantium 4 Motherboard with 80GB sata HDD(segate). Now I wish to change my hard disc to a 500GB sata hard disk but when I went to buy the same to a local computer store, they said 500GB sata hard disk will not match with Patium 4 processor is this true? or there is any technique to connect the 500 GB sata hard disk to a pantium processor? pleas help.

Abhijit

abhijit.pandit[at]gmail.com
a b V Motherboard
August 1, 2011 9:11:28 AM

Not true.

I just dropped a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 in a machine with a motherboard designed for a Pentium 4 (northwood C-core) in a socket 478 originally built in 2003, but motherboard replaced in 2006. The board has an 875 intel chipset and it is that which defines the size limit of the drive that is addressable, not the processor in the socket.

I have another old machine with an SIS chipset and a Pentium D (again, socket 478)with a pair of SeeCrate 500GB drives in it.

Your computer store is talking tosh.

Q
m
l
August 1, 2011 9:31:00 AM

The processor is not the problem here. Not at all. Actually it's very lame statement of their side.
But a current 500 GB HDD is with a SATA interface, so check if you have SATA connectors on your mobo.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 1, 2011 12:46:40 PM

If you are relaying their advice word for word, they are not giving you correct information. If you have an SATA hard drive now, you can upgrade to practically any new SATA drive. What they may be implying is that the older Pentium system may not make good use of new drive that size and speed, and they are trying to talk you into more upgrades or even a whole new system. That is fine (sales people), but it is not up to them to make that decision, it is up to you to decide whether or not your Pentium system is good enough for what you do. If you are happy with your systems performance, then you will be quite happy with the new 500gig drive.
m
l
!