Tags:
  • Asus
  • BIOS
  • Computer
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
April 17, 2012 6:24:00 AM

Hi all,

So I built a new computer and I seem to be having this 1 problem; when I turn on the computer, it takes about 15 seconds for the computer to go 'beep' as opposed to a normal computer which takes between 1 and 5 seconds.
I checked my RAM and it was fine, but to make sure I tried different RAM - still no luck.
I tried updating the bios, and alas to no luck.

So I sent it back to the manufacturer and they seemed to of replaced the board with a new one, put it all back together (after waiting for a month!) and still the same issue. I would try swapping the processor, but I don't exactly have bounds of money to go buy a spare just for a test.

So any ideas on the issue, or any fixes. Quick replies would be handy as I might request a DOA on the board and get an upper model (ie, the Pro, or the V-GEN3)

----------------------
i5 2500K @ 3.3GHz
8GB Ripjaws X
Asus P8Z68-V-LE
Gigabyte Radeon HD6870
Antec TruPower 650
120GB Corsair Micro Force Series 3 SSD
1TB WD Caviar Black
Antec 1100 Case
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit/Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64-bit

More about : asus p8z68 long time load bios

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
April 17, 2012 1:37:08 PM

For me, with almost the same setup (different GPU and PSU, and no SSD), the BIOS loads in ~5 secs. like it should. I know that's not really helpful as far as fixing the issue, I just thought I'd tell you what my experience is. I WILL say that maybe 1 out of every 5 cold boots, or so, does seem take a little longer for some reason, but nothing else is wrong, so I just don't worry about it.

EDIT: On a side note, it's kind of annoying to OC on this board because you can't set a manual Vcore in the BIOS. All you have to work with is offsets, no matter what other settings are enabled/disabled or set to auto. A minor annoyance, if you understand offsets, but I wish I could just set a manual Vcore and be done with it.
m
l
April 17, 2012 2:05:57 PM

Takes mine 15 seconds to POST as well. And I'm even using an SSD to cache with Intel RST. 35 seconds till Windows loads. I've read the ASUS boards are notorious for this but I've tried every suggestion I've read about and still no joy.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2012 2:33:29 PM

when i bought the board was when the last one needed RMA'd at the store; took my whole box in.
when the tech put it in my box to boot, i remarked about the amount of time it took to post. he told as above; its an asus thing they boot slow.

i updated to bios since and it *seems* faster but it could be that i am use to it by now.
April 17, 2012 2:46:08 PM

I actually stopwatch it every week. It was the same after the new BIOS update a couple of weeks ago. I'll probably go gigabyte next time and I'm definitely not fussing around with that stupid Intel RST crap again. SSD all the way for my next build. I even emailed ASUS and they asked me to update my firmware and drivers :-/.....ORLY?
m
l
April 17, 2012 8:46:28 PM

Same problem here. 15 sec before beep. So there is no fix for this?
m
l
April 17, 2012 10:04:51 PM

Darn, so Asus just has a dodgey post. I have an SSD, everything loads quickly except for the bios, what a let down on a new build.
If anyone finds a solution, let us know?
m
l
April 17, 2012 10:32:19 PM

Just updated the BIOS to the update a couple of weeks ago and the POST takes about 12-13 seconds now, so slightly faster.
According to my brother (who has a Gigabyte board), his POST is a lot short, but the actual BIOS takes a while to load, so his takes 10-15 seconds total too. So really there's not too much difference between the speeds of Asus and Gigabyte
m
l
April 20, 2012 6:47:32 AM

Same here, the only difference is when i reboot the system just hangs.
i have to do a complete power down to get the system to start.
funny thing is i ha a gigabyte MB (GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev. 2.0)
with an Intel i5 2500k and had the same exact issue.
i returned the board and the cpu for my current setup and still the same issue.
im just wondering if it could be the ram or the power supply that would cause this.
my setup is as follows

Asus P8Z68-v LX latest bios installed
Intel i5 2500k
Crucial Ballistix 8gb kit BLS2CP4G3D1339DS1SD0
Sandisk 120gb SSD SATA3 drive
Antec Earthwatts 650w PSU
Diamond Multimedia ATI Radeon HD 5670 video card

i tried with video card, without video card, with HD, without HD, single memory stick , it just does'nt seem to matter
i am taking the whole system back to Micro Center to see if they can figure it out.

if anyone finds a solution please post, i will do the same
m
l
April 20, 2012 10:14:18 AM

Mine restarts without a problem, in fact it's quicker, takes about 5 seconds to finish the bios as apposed to 12-15. Strange that yours is hanging, update your bios and if still not, then taking it to Micro Center may be a good idea :D 
m
l
April 27, 2012 9:17:06 AM

Best answer selected by dagunn007.
m
l
April 27, 2012 2:43:32 PM

vysoto said:
Same here, the only difference is when i reboot the system just hangs.
i have to do a complete power down to get the system to start.
funny thing is i ha a gigabyte MB (GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev. 2.0)
with an Intel i5 2500k and had the same exact issue.
i returned the board and the cpu for my current setup and still the same issue.
im just wondering if it could be the ram or the power supply that would cause this.
my setup is as follows

Asus P8Z68-v LX latest bios installed
Intel i5 2500k
Crucial Ballistix 8gb kit BLS2CP4G3D1339DS1SD0
Sandisk 120gb SSD SATA3 drive
Antec Earthwatts 650w PSU
Diamond Multimedia ATI Radeon HD 5670 video card

i tried with video card, without video card, with HD, without HD, single memory stick , it just does'nt seem to matter
i am taking the whole system back to Micro Center to see if they can figure it out.

if anyone finds a solution please post, i will do the same

Finally figured out my issue
i was using a internal memory card reader which has internal usb2 connection. apparently the newer MB don,t like it.
funny thing is the original equipment i returned was probably just fine. so 3 MoBo, CPU, ram and several $ more and all the time it was the memory card reader Duh !!!!!!!!!
m
l
!