PSP likely $299

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

<snipped from interview>

GS: Tell me about the PSP. Who are you aiming that product for?

AH: We think it is the early-end adopter of entertainment product and
content. That puts it very firmly in our experience in the 18 to
34-year-old male category. But I think we've learned from the PS2
experience that there is a huge potential market in the teen's area. I
think it's the biggest single segment on PlayStation 2 now, and has
been, interestingly, very present right from the launch.

GS: Which tells you what?

AH: What I think it taught us is that there has been a shift. If you
read any of the data, it will tell you that teens have more disposable
income, more of their earned income, and more interest in
entertainment than they ever had before--and we saw the benefits of
that.

The traditional approach in terms of launching platforms would have
been: for PlayStation 2, that $299 is a prohibitive price point for
the teenage market, so it's definitely going to be older adults with
more disposable income.

entire interview here:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/14/news_6098390.html
12 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > The traditional approach in terms of launching platforms would have
    > been: for PlayStation 2, that $299 is a prohibitive price point for
    > the teenage market, so it's definitely going to be older adults with
    > more disposable income.

    I would hope they'd keep it closer to the 199 price point. I am one of
    those adults with disposable income, but i really have cut back on spending,
    because i AM getting older and now i'm look toward future investment.. and
    not just playing games all my life. Well at least pack in a game for that
    price... or a free peripheral of some sort... guess we'll have to wait and
    see.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > The traditional approach in terms of launching platforms would have
    > > been: for PlayStation 2, that $299 is a prohibitive price point for
    > > the teenage market, so it's definitely going to be older adults with
    > > more disposable income.
    >

    > I would hope they'd keep it closer to the 199 price point. I am one of
    > those adults with disposable income, but i really have cut back on
    spending,
    > because i AM getting older and now i'm look toward future investment.. and
    > not just playing games all my life. Well at least pack in a game for that
    > price... or a free peripheral of some sort... guess we'll have to wait and
    > see.

    Whatever happened to the pack-in game?
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Mattinglyfan <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net> wrote:
    >Whatever happened to the pack-in game?

    Relegated to the limited offers these days. I think it was cut
    because it was more important to make the price point than to have a
    pack-in. (And of course, everyone has different tastes.)

    --
    "_The Endless Fire:_ It was later found out that the fire had been started
    by a civil servant, who thought he was casting the ZEMDOR spell ('turn

    "Andrew Ryan Chang" <archang@sfu.ca> wrote in message
    > Mattinglyfan <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net> wrote:
    > >Whatever happened to the pack-in game?
    >
    > Relegated to the limited offers these days. I think it was cut
    > because it was more important to make the price point than to have a
    > pack-in. (And of course, everyone has different tastes.)

    While I agree everyone has different tastes, free is free. I remember the
    2600 came with Combat. Hardly a great game in comparison but great for a
    pack-in. Didn't all of these systems come with a pack in?

    2600 - Combat
    Intellivision - ????
    5200 - ?????
    Vectrex - Minesweeper
    Nintendo - ?????
    Super Nintendo - ??????
    Sega Genesis - ?????
    N64 - ?????

    > --
    > "_The Endless Fire:_ It was later found out that the fire had been started
    > by a civil servant, who thought he was casting the ZEMDOR spell ('turn
    > original into triplicate') but who, instead, cast the ZIMBOR spell ('turn
    one
    > really big city into lots of tiny little ashes')" -Encyclopedia
    Frobozzica.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Mattinglyfan wrote:

    > Didn't all of these systems come
    > with a pack in?

    > Super Nintendo - ??????
    Super Mario World, initially.

    > Sega Genesis - ?????
    Altered Beast, initially. I think the pack-in game was changed to Sonic the
    Hedgehog at some point.

    > N64 - ?????
    No pack-in, as I recall. I believe Mario 64 and Pilotwings were the only 2
    games available on Day 1 of the US launch, and Wave Race was available a few
    days later.

    FYI, the initial pack-in for the Sega Saturn (in the US) was Virtua Fighter.
    At some point, Sega started giving away a 3-in-1 disk with new Saturn
    purchases. Virtua Fighter (remix?), Sega Rally, and Virtua Cop, if memory
    serves correctly.

    TurboGrafx-16 was bundled with Keith Courage in Alpha Zones.

    I believe that the PlayStation was the first major, mass-market, post-crash
    (1983) console in the US to be launched without a pack-in. So I think that
    Sony started the no-pack-in trend.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > GS: Tell me about the PSP. Who are you aiming that product for?
    >
    > AH: We think it is the early-end adopter of entertainment product and
    > content. That puts it very firmly in our experience in the 18 to
    > 34-year-old male category. But I think we've learned from the PS2
    > experience that there is a huge potential market in the teen's area. I
    > think it's the biggest single segment on PlayStation 2 now, and has
    > been, interestingly, very present right from the launch.
    >
    > GS: Which tells you what?
    >
    > AH: What I think it taught us is that there has been a shift. If you
    > read any of the data, it will tell you that teens have more disposable
    > income, more of their earned income, and more interest in
    > entertainment than they ever had before--and we saw the benefits of
    > that.
    >
    > The traditional approach in terms of launching platforms would have
    > been: for PlayStation 2, that $299 is a prohibitive price point for
    > the teenage market, so it's definitely going to be older adults with
    > more disposable income.
    >

    > entire interview here:
    >
    > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/14/news_6098390.html

    At $299 the PSP will not be in a good position, it doesn't matter what it
    does spec wise. IMHO the Portable 'Gaming' Market is for the most part
    younger players and pre-teens. Which means Parents are buying the Product.
    Parents like price points and backwards compatiblity with thier exisiting GB
    Product line.

    I"m sure there will be some demographic business traveller types that will
    pick one up....but IMHO PSP will not make a big enough dent in the big N's
    market to worry them too much, esp with Nintendo's powerhouse portable
    franchiese's like Pokemon and the novice - medium RPG/Strategy titles

    My 2cents

    Cheers,

    Gary
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > At $299 the PSP will not be in a good position, it doesn't matter what it
    > does spec wise. IMHO the Portable 'Gaming' Market is for the most part
    > younger players and pre-teens. Which means Parents are buying the
    Product.
    > Parents like price points and backwards compatiblity with thier exisiting
    GB
    > Product line.

    While I agree that $299 would be a hard sell, I disagree with everything
    else you said. The portable makret WAS for the most part kids and young
    teens. However that has been changin for a while now, particularly since
    Nintendo launched the SP. I have never seen so many people my age with
    Gameboy's before, in fact before the SP I never met another sould who had
    one, save for little kids. To me this porves what I have belived for a while
    (and evidently what Sony believes), that there is a huge intapped market of
    adults who want portable games, they just haven't been presented with the
    right porduct yet. The SP was a half step....

    > I"m sure there will be some demographic business traveller types that will
    > pick one up....but IMHO PSP will not make a big enough dent in the big N's
    > market to worry them too much, esp with Nintendo's powerhouse portable
    > franchiese's like Pokemon and the novice - medium RPG/Strategy titles

    The PSP will create a whole new market for itself. And the side effect of
    that will be that younger gamers will being to want to the system that's
    more "grown up" because every little kid wants to be "more grown up".

    The DS is a very respectible answer to the chnaging market, iMO.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Gary" <ghartl@curwe.com> wrote in message

    > > GS: Tell me about the PSP. Who are you aiming that product for?
    > >
    > > AH: We think it is the early-end adopter of entertainment product and
    > > content. That puts it very firmly in our experience in the 18 to
    > > 34-year-old male category. But I think we've learned from the PS2
    > > experience that there is a huge potential market in the teen's area. I
    > > think it's the biggest single segment on PlayStation 2 now, and has
    > > been, interestingly, very present right from the launch.
    > >
    > > GS: Which tells you what?
    > >
    > > AH: What I think it taught us is that there has been a shift. If you
    > > read any of the data, it will tell you that teens have more disposable
    > > income, more of their earned income, and more interest in
    > > entertainment than they ever had before--and we saw the benefits of
    > > that.
    > >
    > > The traditional approach in terms of launching platforms would have
    > > been: for PlayStation 2, that $299 is a prohibitive price point for
    > > the teenage market, so it's definitely going to be older adults with
    > > more disposable income.
    > >

    > > entire interview here:
    > >
    > > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/14/news_6098390.html
    >
    > At $299 the PSP will not be in a good position, it doesn't matter what it
    > does spec wise. IMHO the Portable 'Gaming' Market is for the most part
    > younger players and pre-teens. Which means Parents are buying the
    Product.
    > Parents like price points and backwards compatiblity with thier exisiting
    GB
    > Product line.
    >
    > I"m sure there will be some demographic business traveller types that will
    > pick one up....but IMHO PSP will not make a big enough dent in the big N's
    > market to worry them too much, esp with Nintendo's powerhouse portable
    > franchiese's like Pokemon and the novice - medium RPG/Strategy titles
    >
    > My 2cents
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Gary

    I think they already said that the PSP will me marketed more towards the
    18-34 age group because they no the little kiddies won't be able to afford
    them, parents or not. They are counting on the the older crowd to adopt it
    pretty much the same they have adopted iPods, PocketPC's etc over the years.
    A device with multi-functionality that has an easy user interface.

    RickB

    "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > > The traditional approach in terms of launching platforms would have
    > > > been: for PlayStation 2, that $299 is a prohibitive price point for
    > > > the teenage market, so it's definitely going to be older adults with
    > > > more disposable income.
    > >

    > > I would hope they'd keep it closer to the 199 price point. I am one of
    > > those adults with disposable income, but i really have cut back on
    > spending,
    > > because i AM getting older and now i'm look toward future investment..
    and
    > > not just playing games all my life. Well at least pack in a game for
    that
    > > price... or a free peripheral of some sort... guess we'll have to wait
    and
    > > see.
    > >

    > Whatever happened to the pack-in game?

    Playstation 2 w/Network Adapter and ATV off road Fury ONLY $149

    LOL
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > "Andrew Ryan Chang" <archang@sfu.ca> wrote in message
    > > Mattinglyfan <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net> wrote:
    > > >Whatever happened to the pack-in game?
    > >
    > > Relegated to the limited offers these days. I think it was cut
    > > because it was more important to make the price point than to have a
    > > pack-in. (And of course, everyone has different tastes.)
    >
    > While I agree everyone has different tastes, free is free.

    There can be arguments made either way for whether a pack-in game should be
    included. In the early years of video games, it was pretty much a given that
    a system included a game--they all did. The cartridges were never actually
    "free"--there was always some cost to the manufacturer associated with the
    cartridges, which was (invisibly) passed on to the consumer. They could've
    removed the pack-in game and saved a few bucks, but it would've looked cheap
    on the part of the company if they didn't have a game in the box with their
    system while all their competitors did.

    The concept of a "core" system (one that didn't include a game) didn't
    really take off until the Genesis dropped to $149--taking the game out of
    the package was what enabled them to drop the price to begin with. The SNES
    followed suit shortly afterward. For a few years afterward, companies
    usually offered at least two options--one package with a game, and a cheaper
    package without a game. The Genesis and SNES weren't the first systems to do
    this--both the Atari 2600 and the NES were also sold without a game in the
    later years.

    I think PlayStation and Nintendo 64 were the first major systems to be
    released as a "core" package right from the get-go. Now, it's pretty much
    standard for a new system to not include any games. This goes back to what I
    said earlier about pack-in games adding to the cost of the system--companies
    are already losing money on the hardware; putting a game in the box would
    only add to their costs, and at the same time it's impossible to appeal to
    everyone with that game anyway. It's better to just let people buy whatever
    game they like, than to force them to pay more for the package just so they
    can get a game that they might not like.

    It's very interesting to see how the marketing has evolved over the years.
    Earlier systems had started off with a game or two in the box and later
    offered the core system as a cheaper alternative (and a perceived price
    drop). Now, the logic is reversed--companies offer the core system first,
    and later on they may throw an established game in the box instead of
    dropping the price. It's easy for them to do that these days, since the game
    is usually popular and has made money for the company already, and the games
    are on discs (as opposed to cartridges, which cost a lot more to produce),
    they can increase the customer's perception of value without adding very
    much to their production costs.

    > I remember the
    > 2600 came with Combat. Hardly a great game in comparison but great for a
    > pack-in. Didn't all of these systems come with a pack in?
    >
    > 2600 - Combat

    Yep, Combat was included for the first few years. A few years later, they
    changed over to Pac-Man. Some systems actually had both Combat and Pac-Man
    for a short while.

    > Intellivision - ????

    Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack, intially. Later changed to Astrosmash.

    > 5200 - ?????

    Super Breakout. Changed to Pac-Man shortly afterward.

    > Vectrex - Minesweeper

    Mine Storm, actually.

    > Nintendo - ?????

    Gyromite and Duck Hunt. Another package was offered shortly afterward with
    Super Mario Bros., then both Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt, and later some
    other bundles were produced as well.

    > Super Nintendo - ??????

    Super Mario World, initially. Later there were a variety of bundles. One had
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, another had a combination of Super
    Mario World and Super Mario All-Stars, another had Donkey Kong Country,
    another had the Super Game Boy (adapter to play Game Boy games). There were
    probably a few other packages, too.

    > Sega Genesis - ?????

    Altered Beast at first. Like the SNES, the Genesis also had various bundles
    later. Sonic the Hedgehog replaced Altered Beast after a couple of years.
    Later they had a package with Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and another with Streets
    of Rage 2. There may have been others as well.

    > N64 - ?????

    Nothing at first. They had a Donkey Kong 64 bundle for a little while after
    that game was released, and maybe one with one of the Pokemon games too.

    --
    Sal Manfredonia (smanfred@optonline.net)

    "Having more fun than a human being should be allowed to have!" -- Rush
    Limbaugh
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > > I would hope they'd keep it closer to the 199 price point. I am one
    of
    > > > those adults with disposable income, but i really have cut back on
    > > spending,
    > > > because i AM getting older and now i'm look toward future investment..
    > and
    > > > not just playing games all my life. Well at least pack in a game for
    > that
    > > > price... or a free peripheral of some sort... guess we'll have to wait
    > and
    > > > see.
    > > >

    > > Whatever happened to the pack-in game?
    > >

    > Playstation 2 w/Network Adapter and ATV off road Fury ONLY $149
    >
    > LOL

    Right on time. ;)
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Freethinker" <fake@address.net> wrote in message news:<aqLpc.31023$bS1.26970@okepread02>...

    > FYI, the initial pack-in for the Sega Saturn (in the US) was Virtua Fighter.
    > At some point, Sega started giving away a 3-in-1 disk with new Saturn
    > purchases. Virtua Fighter (remix?), Sega Rally, and Virtua Cop, if memory
    > serves correctly.

    To tell the truth, the three games were Virtua Cop 2 (awsome with the
    light gun), Virtua Figher 2 and Daytona USA (pop up galore, but great
    game play).

Console Gaming PlayStation Games Video Sony Video Games