Computer Overheating after intense clean

DinkyDogg

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
For a few weeks now, my pc's been heating up immensly quick under any load.
I've pretty much redone the system (reapplied new thermal paste, added more fans, removed all components and cleaned, moved to a better location) and its still heats up

Doing nothing its sitting at a comfortable 46 degrees celcius, but with window media player it gets up to 60, and playing a game eg. WoW on medium graphics itll get up to about 97 degrees ( i have a g15 with temps and it freezes on final temp on crash)

To put it in perspective, i used to be able to run crysis on all max with only 3 fans at about 56 degrees, but note, with 5 fans it still over heats

Any advice on how to overcome this problem would much be appreciated

DinkyDogg

Andy2008

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Maybe the air flow in the case has become unbalanced with the extra fans. Does the temperature improve if you disconnect the added ones? Or perhaps you've accidentally re-installed a fan the wrong way round?

shrex

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
airflow configuration wont make that much of a difference neither will thermal paste. It sounds like the heatsink isnt mounted properly, if its push pins it can be hard to tell whether their all the way in and also because their plastic they can stretch which will reduce pressure. You may need to get a bolt thru kit.

DinkyDogg

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
@andy2008
The fans are in the correct balance, without the front and side one, its sits at 50/60 degrees doing nothing, with them, it gets down to 38. under load the extra fans gives me abit lower temps, mayb 78 or 81 rather then 100

@LePhuronn
I dont think ive done it wrong, not cause i think im pro, but cause its got a plastic lever that squashes it against the cpu, i thought it maybe a bit of the paste getting into the cpu cause abit got squashed out when i replaced the heat sink.

@mlcloud
yes is was

@amdfangirl
Ill take a picture tonite

@shrex
Bolt through? as in theres a plastic bolt that goes through it and has a lever to make it stick down? mines got one of those, though your prolly talking bout something else

DinkyDogg

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
The G15 is useing Speedfan as its application, i got advised to use another one, but it shows the same temps, although updates the temps at slower speeds.

EDIT: am now using CORETEMP as my temp tool, and shows abit more love, with it being 71 instead of 78 in wow

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
More fans isn't always better, if your aircurrents within the case are in any way going opposite to each other, intersecting each other or not being probably sucked out of the case, the computer turns into an oven internally and your fans can be using thier so called cooling capabilities against you. As another poster said, take pirctures of it and post it along with informationr regarding which direction each fan blows air inside of it.

DinkyDogg

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
mmm that fan guides good i like it, pretty much same setup as mine minus the top exhaust XD o well...
I seem to have the problem fixed, i got a am3 heatsink from my mate and put it on, which now doesnt go over 56 Degrees celciius.
LePhuronn may have been right, it may have been a badly seated heatsink.
Just happy to be able to run wmplayer and a game at the same time :).
Thanks for all your advice, especially LePhuronn, and thanks to shrex for the guide, gonna redo my fans now