Sign in with
Your question

Memory Controller Limitation on Mobo Issue

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
April 17, 2012 9:31:43 AM

I recently started my first build. and although its mostly working i am having some issue i hope someone here can help with.

When i insert all 4 sticks of ram, the system does not boot up, it continually restarts after 2-3 secs.
However i have tested all four sticks and they work fine as long as i use any 2 sticks of ram.

What i have been told by corsair tech support is that there is a limitation with my mobo memory controller.
but even after downclocking my ram to 1033mhz it is still unable to start. Any ideas as to a workaround?

Specs.

MSI Z68A GD55
Intel i5 2500K
Corsair 16GB kit (4x4GB)
Corsair H80
Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD
CM Silent M2 850W PSU
Palit GTS450 x 2
2 x WD 2TB drives.

Thanks in advance
a b } Memory
April 17, 2012 9:48:13 AM

Strange. Corsair should have been more helpful, but arguing that is a little moot.
Your chipset and mobo support up to 32GB, so it's not specifically "non support".

I'm suspecting either a power issues (lack there of) or a motherboard fault.

Try each of these to troubleshoot:
- Double check you have all the connectors (specifically power to the mobo) securely connected.
- Remove one GPU (or both and use only onboard - this reduces your power draw dramatically) and then try the 4 modules
- Clear CMOS properly (unplugged from the wall, etc) with all 4 modules installed.

If none of this helps, reply with the exact part #'s for the Corsair modules
m
l
April 23, 2012 12:31:07 PM

psaus said:
Strange. Corsair should have been more helpful, but arguing that is a little moot.
Your chipset and mobo support up to 32GB, so it's not specifically "non support".

I'm suspecting either a power issues (lack there of) or a motherboard fault.

Try each of these to troubleshoot:
- Double check you have all the connectors (specifically power to the mobo) securely connected.
- Remove one GPU (or both and use only onboard - this reduces your power draw dramatically) and then try the 4 modules
- Clear CMOS properly (unplugged from the wall, etc) with all 4 modules installed.

If none of this helps, reply with the exact part #'s for the Corsair modules

Thanks for your quick reply! i have tried what you've said above and i even tried updating my BIOS, just in case but im still not able to boot up with all four sticks. still the same issue with the continuous boot cycle.

I have the CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9.
m
l
a b } Memory
April 23, 2012 3:30:38 PM

Hmmm
If you've tried the above, AND you've tried the modules individually to make sure each works, then I'm starting to believe you have a defective mobo.
This should be a new purchase, so hopefully easily RMA'd with the vendor?
m
l
!