IBM ThinkPad 600E complete restore help!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2005 10:27:06 AM

I received this thinkpad as a gift.. It is an IBM ThinkPad 600E
2645-8BU. When i first turned it on a box appeared that says errors..
I did run the test and the error that was found was 8611. I did find a
way to get by that by esc twice and f1 it ect. ect. However since this
was a gift I have no disks nor info about this thing. I also have an
error that states,
dev 086
err 22
Fru 0100
Now what do i do? Somehow i did manage to get to the windows page. If
this helps it was a black screen and it said which operating systm.
It gave me the options of 98 and xp pro. Unfortunatly the only disks
that i have are xp home and windows me. Also when i was able to load
xp pro when the desktop came up i had no mouse controls. Is there
anyway to just start all over from scratch and uninstall the pro and
98.. Waiting patiently...... :?:
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2005 10:27:07 AM

I'm to lazy to look up the error codes, just go to thinkpads.com and at
the bottom you will find a link for the ibm 600e tech manual. You
should upgrade to the latest bios(link also found on thinkpads.com).
You will need a good battery to upgrade the bios. To reformat your
hard drive go to bootdisk.com and download the general boot utility. I
would load WinME since XP might be too slow. If you want to play DVD I
would recommend loading winME and getting a margi dvd-to-go decoder.
It will run better on ME than XP.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2005 3:24:24 AM

The 8611 is trackpoint/keyboard
The other error does not ring a bell offhand, but start by replacing
the keyboard.
System boards are cheap and easy to replace, if the screen is good go
for it.

On Wed, 11 May 2005 06:27:06 +0000,
lmbhaslhm@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (lmbhaslhm) wrote:

>I received this thinkpad as a gift.. It is an IBM ThinkPad 600E
>2645-8BU. When i first turned it on a box appeared that says errors..
>I did run the test and the error that was found was 8611. I did find a
>way to get by that by esc twice and f1 it ect. ect. However since this
>was a gift I have no disks nor info about this thing. I also have an
>error that states,
>dev 086
>err 22
>Fru 0100
>Now what do i do? Somehow i did manage to get to the windows page. If
>this helps it was a black screen and it said which operating systm.
>It gave me the options of 98 and xp pro. Unfortunatly the only disks
>that i have are xp home and windows me. Also when i was able to load
>xp pro when the desktop came up i had no mouse controls. Is there
>anyway to just start all over from scratch and uninstall the pro and
>98.. Waiting patiently...... :?:

a b D Laptop
May 13, 2005 2:25:34 AM

I can't help with the errors,, but I have been running XP pro on my 600E, 366 MHz, 586 MB?
for over a year and it runs well..

Good Luck
Jim
An Old Parrot Head
In The Conch Republic
Just South of Reality
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2005 6:07:36 AM

> would load WinME since XP might be too slow. If you want to play DVD I
> would recommend loading winME and getting a margi dvd-to-go decoder.
> It will run better on ME than XP.

NO!!!! Win ME is a buggy piece of cr**. Win XP is reasonably fast (better
than 2000), and most importantly, stable.