mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Hi, im Mark, and i'm new here!
I want to build a gaming pc, because im getting bored with gaming on console.
I wouldn't classify myself as an extreme newb on the subject, but im not that much of a hardware expert. I've beem wanting to build my own pc for a while now, and i have a budget of arround 900 dollars(600 euros).
I've been googling arround quite a bit, and this is what i've come up with.
CPU: intel core i5 2500k, for arround €130
GPU: Nvidia GTX 460 1gb for arround € 180
RAM: 4gb corsair ddr3 RAM, For 40 euros
MOBO: asus p755d evo for €150

Now, I already have a nice keyboard, mouse and display from my old pc,
And I think I can use my hdd from my old pc as well. I also already have windows 7 premium laying arround so i dont have to buy that as well.
Are there a lot of expenses that I've missed here? Or do you have a diffrent suggestion thats way better or cheaper then what i've written down here?
I'd like to be able to max out most games, but im not expecting to play crysis on max.

So if you would like to add stuff to my build, it would be aprreciated really much!

striker410

Distinguished
good build, But i would substitute the gtx 460 for this 5850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102932&cm_re=5850-_-14-102-932-_-Product
It's like the best deal on newegg right now. Significantly cheaper than the 460, same performance if not better.
Also, you have the wrong motherboard. That motherboard supports LGA 1156, you need an LGA 1155 like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229&cm_re=asrock_extreme4-_-13-157-229-_-Product
Remember you will need a quality PSU, something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016&cm_re=ocz_modxstream-_-17-341-016-_-Product
and don't forget the case. The case depends, because you want one that both looks cool and has good airflow.

Hope it helps!

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Thanks, so that's basically all I need to buy, before I bring it to the pc shop and have it built for me? Do i need a sound card ??

striker410

Distinguished
You do not need a sound card, as that motherboard has very good built in sound.
Also, why bring it into the shop? Assembling a pc is very simple, and there are many tutorials on this website. I encourage you to get a quote on how much it would be to have them build it, as it may be worth the extra money to just build it yourself.

Just my 2 cents.

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Thanks, but do you really need to like solder wires and glue stuff, or is it just a matter of sliding things into place??

striker410

Distinguished
Lol, If you have to bust out a soldering gun, you are gonna blow something up.

It's a very simple process, with the most challenging being applying the right amount of thermal paste in my opinion. Nowadays, computers are almost made to be built by the average consumer.

But, there is a small chance you could mess something up if you arent careful. That's why I suggested getting a quote from your computer store see how much they charge.

Here is an excellent tutorial on how to build your very own pc: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Thanks a TON for the support, really appreciated!
I just have a feeew questions left though;
1: would there be a noticable increase in speed/gaming stuff with 8gb ram instead of 4 or would it be a waste of money?
2: would 2 of those GPU's you suggested work good in SLI or can I get a better single GPU for the same price?
3: How would this rig run most games? Maxed out on 1080p? With the exeption of really heavy games like crysis 1.

Oh yeah, so what I understood from that tutorial you sent me it's basically just clicking stuff into place and nothing really complicated?
Also, would that MOBO you sent support 5.1/7.1 dolby digital surround? I have a very expensive headset so that would be cool if they worked together!

Again, thanks alot for helping out a total newb here!

striker410

Distinguished
No problem, we try.
1. Most games cannot take advantage of more than 4GB, but 8GB is what most people are picking if they can afford it, so that when a game comes along that needs more than 4GB, they can run it.
2. The 5850's can be put into crossfireX (AMD's version of SLI), but some people say it's a driver nightmare. Also, I believe you budget was $900, so that might be kind of difficult. But keep in mind you can always add one later!

(also, I forgot to take into account that you aren't in the US. If you can get a better deal on the GTX 460 then the 5850, choose the 460.)

3. At 1920x1080, you should be able to play all games (except for CRAZZYYY ones like Crysis and Metro 2033) on high/max. BFBC2 for instance should run at 60fps on high.

The ASRock Extreme4 does in fact support 7.1 surround.

If you wish to crossfire in the future, you will need a higher wattage PSU, like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&cm_re=corsair_650-_-17-139-020-_-Product

Once you decide for sure what you want, help us out and post the links here so we can check them out!

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I kinda forgot, that budget is only for basic hardware like Mobo, cpu, gpu, and ram. I already have all the other supplies. The pc store told me they'd assemble that for €50, so im just gonna do it myself :p
I already have 4gb of ddr2, so what would i benefit from the most? 8gb of ddr2 or 4gb of ddr3??
I also saw that the GTX 460 is just 10 euros more then the 5850, but my guess is that the 460 will be better for me since I plan on SLI right? Also, would buying 2 cards with 2gb of video-ram be overkill?(so 4gb vram in sli) or would i benefit from it.. And finally: which card is most suited for overclocking? The GTX 460 or the 5850?

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
One more thing, i wouldnt need to buy a new case right? I have this old packard bell laying arround, but would the hardware just fit in ANY case i buy or do i need to be on the lookout for certain features?

striker410

Distinguished
At just 1080p, you will NEVER need 4gb of vram. That option is for people with 3-5 screens, and really need that vram.
Also, the 5850's can SLI, but it's know as CrossfireX (google it).
And get DDR3 ram. DDR2 is much slower. 4 GB is plenty.

A GTX 460 can overclock higher, but the 5850 is above and beyond it even at stock clocks. Get the 5850, it's better than the 460 by a bunch.

Also, if you are planning on making a high performance pc, you will need a new case.
Nowadays, cases not only look cool and hold the parts, but serve a very important function. Cooling. These parts get hot under load, and you need a bunch of fans to move the heat away.
The best budget case out there right now is the HAF 912: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
No fancy lights, but it definitely gets the job done in terms of cooling.

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I hope you see this message, because I've been posting here since a day ago and I dont see my new messages appearing :s but yeah, here goes:
So if I made a list of absolutely everything I needed to buy in order to build this pc:
Gpu, Cpu, Mobo, Ram, PSU, A case and thermal paste, a dvd reader thingy, and thats all? If I just have those things i can just piece 'em together into a pc?? I already have a SATA hdd, so will that just work?
If I need anything more, please tell me, it feels like im leaving a lot out.

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Probably my final questions:
Will the PSU you recommended be enough for two of those sapphire 5850 hd's in CrossfireX, 4gb ram and an intel i5 2500k? 650w doesnt seem enough to me..
And: what do you think is the bottleneck in this build?
My best bet is the HDD, does it offer a huge performance boost if I invest in a better hdd/ssd?

D

Deleted member 362816

I have a corsair pro psu running 2 gtx 580's in sli its a 750 watt the brand matters alot on psus.

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
How much are those? I cant find it on newegg, could you send me a link or tell me how much they run for? Thanks man!

striker410

Distinguished
^that 650 I linked will be just fine. A 5850 Crossfire only pulls around 500w anyway. And all an SSD does is make the computer start up faster/make games start faster. Wait to get an SSD when the price drops.

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Yea but that PSU you linked is 650w right? If the GPUs alone use up 500w, is there enough power for the rest of the system??

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
(God i'm so stupid lol)
But back to an earlier comment from me, are there any more parts i need to order or is it just
Cpu
Gpu
Mobo
Ram
Case(with built-in coolers)
PSU, thermal paste, and a dvd reader? If i have those parts can I then just piece 'em together into a PC?
BTW, you guys are awesome for helping me out!

striker410

Distinguished
You aren't stupid, you are new at this, and I poorly worded my statement. And I think you are ready! If you have any leftover budget, be sure to grab some good games. I am partial to BFBC2 :D 15 bucks on steam!

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Awesome, I love battlefield BC2 on the 360, kinda hyped for battlefield 3 actually.
I guess Ill start ordering the parts, and ill let you know how the build's going along! Thanks a ton for helping me!

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I just heard I can get the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition for the same price as the i5 2500k.
But seeing the i5 is a quad core and the phenom II X6 is a six-core, my question is: what's the better processor? I5 2500k or Phenom II X6??

mw2fan

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Okay, thanks.
Purely from a gaming perspective, what would be a better rig?
A: Core i5 2500k with 2 sapphire radeon hd 5850s in crossfire, or
B: Core i7 2600k with 1 sapphire radeon hd 5850?
I guess the smartest move is to go with rig B, and then buy another 5850 when I have enough money..