AMD Phenom 955 overheating?

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
My phenom x4 955 keeps going at high temperatures and the fan is quite loud which is kinda creeping me out as my old pentium 4 would never go this loud.

System Specs:
Amd phenom 955
Ati radeon 6770 1gb
4gb DDR3 1333mhz ram
500gb Samsung spinpoint f3 hard drive
Corsair cx 430W v2 Builders series (1x 120mm in psu outtake)
Msi 870a-g54
DVD RW drive.
1x 80mm fan (rear outtake)
1x 120mm fan (front intake)

Here is the idle stats

capturelaa.jpg

and here is the stats when playing minecraft. Which is quite a light game. It goes very loud. Is this normal?

afterusingminecraft.jpg

maxtemps.jpg

greg2709

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I have a 955, and temps were approaching 61 degrees celsius under load. I reapplied Arctic Silver paste to the CPU and saw the temp drop about 4 degrees under load. After failing a Prime95 test after half an hour, I bumped the RAM voltage up .05, and now I rarely go above 53 degrees on the CPU temp. (This is using a Scythe Mugen 2 cooler, by the way).

I don't know if there's any scientific reasoning that suggests bumping up RAM voltage would result in the CPU running cooler, but that's what happened with me.

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
hmm i dont know how to do that exactly. But i already reapplied thermal paste. Temperatures didnt drop much.

what i did is i had 2 alchoholic cloths and i cleaned the bottom of the heatsink and also i cleaned the top of the cpu.

I then added a pea size amount of akasa thermal paste as that was all i had (well my friend had) and i added a pea size. then i put the heatsink on the cpu and i twisted it a tiny bit to make sure it spread everywehre, dunno if it idid, i asume so though.

And then i fitted it on again. It seemed the first time i didnt put the latch on or the lever on properly because i was scared of it breaking...

but yes when im playing minecraft it goes at 52degree C after a while. Is this dangerouse?

At what temperature should i be worried at? Give me a range.

For example at this temperature you should be wary, and at this temperature close and shut down everything.

thanks, im just really worried, so noise is normal for the phenom 955 huh?

Also i think temperatures decreased after adding the thermal paste, but not too sure. But yes when i put the lever on, which i was scared of breaking at first, it definately decreased in temperature. Before where it would go to around 58 degree C it now stays at around 52 degree C.

55ºC or above is a problem for me.

Go to your BIOS, look for the CPU Voltage option and change it from "Auto" to 1.3V, press F10 to save "y" to accept, your rig reboot immediately, after that try too long on and test for stability with LinX or pime95

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
ok i will set it to 1.3 some time today, my little brother wont let me touch the computer right now, playing some silly flash games, and will probably throw a tantrum if i turn the pc off....

btw by setting it to 1.3, that means that the maximum it can reach is 1.3 right?

So does that potentially basically underclock my cpu or something?

are you sure its not dangerouse to my cpu?

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
ok i tried to change the voltage, its set to auto but the auto is greyed out and i cant change it. What should i do?

ok i also found out cool n quiet is set to auto. Should i enable it or leave it at auto?

Edit:

i also found out by taking the side pannel off my case, the temperatures when playinbg minecraft are only around 46-47 degree.

Also the case is in a confine little space where most of the case is in like a little boxy area, do you think that makes a difference or is it just a bad case?

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I found out how to change the voltage of my cpu via bios, but when i try to go to 1.38Volts it goes red and says its not reccomended.

should i ignore this message and just go all the way to 1.3v like reccomended?

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
ok i did it, pretty much the same, core voltage is at 1.4V, temperatures while playing minecraft on highest settings with case pannel shut is 50-53 degree C....

should i really go down to 1.3 even though the bios doesnt reccomend it... im worried it might mess up.

usually on 53 degrees though... i dont mind the noise.... but i would like to keep temperatures down. Noise is something i can live with.

is 53 degree dangerouse. Should i lower the voltage?