Single v Dual GTX 5xx Cards

captj

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Hello, considering gpu for single or dual monitor gaming. Which makes more sense single GTX 580, dual 570, dual 560 ti? I am just confused on price vs real gain for single or dual monitor gaming. any advice would be appreciated

I7-2600k OC
Corsair dominator 1866 6GB
corsair 120gb SSD
corsair 1200 PSU
Azza hurricane case
Liquid cooled CPU / GPU s
single maybe dual asus 27 inch screens

Solution
It's my opinion that you go for as much graphics card as you have budget for. The 580 is a great card by itself. Granted, it won't provide the framerates of two 560s, but you can always SLI later because you'll have an open slot on your motherboard. Consider 2 580s 6 months from now beat 3 560s or 3 6870s.

Also, I'd say don't go with two monitors for gaming. The reason this is not so great is the crosshair or focus of any game you play will be split between the monitors when you have two monitors. Each monitor has .5 to 1 inch bezel. This will sit between the on-screen image. If you use 1 monitor you don't have this. 3 monitors is ideal for the multi-monitor gaming setup because the focus is in the center of the center monitor...

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
i would grab 2x MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr II, they outperform a GTX 580, scales really well in SLi, runs cool and quiet ;)

EDIT: no need to water cool those cards and no need to watercool a 2600K imo either because they run so cool.

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Yep dual 6870s or GTX 560s is the way to go @ a single GTX 580 price range, and Derbix is right - watercooling isn't necessary for those cards / sandy bridge
(though go for it if you're doing it for fun / something to tinker with).

Also 1200w PSU is massively overkill - grab an 850w. (Plenty for up to dual 6950 / GTX 570s)

Also I don't really understand the dual monitor gaming setup - you need three for a multi-screen setup to truly be worth it, in which case you'll need dual 6950s or better for the 2gb frame buffer.

captj

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Gents,

The liquid cooling is just for fun. I agree I can work this system with 850 or 900 PSU, thanks for the sanity check. I really have been confused about the 3 monitor setup vs single monitor setup. Is a single monitor a potent enough gaming experience or is multi that much more? I have only ever ran one. Is it true that 3 by 27 inch Asus monitors will run better on 2 GTX 560 cards or are the 6xxx series a more reasonable choice. I gather the crew is an agreement that a single GTX 580 is out of the running even for a single screen option?

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
If you're running 3 screens you really need dual GTX 570 / 6950s or better, as their 2GB VRAM and extra performance is necessary for the massive resolution you would be running. Even dual GTX 560s / 6870s will be choked trying to keep up with this demand at high settings.

A single GTX 580 is out of the running regardless because it's more expensive and less performance than GTX 560 sli / 6870 CF, simple as that.

The GTX 580 current pricing limits it for those with unlimited budgets who want the best of the best for SLI / Tri SLI GTX 580s. It doesn't make sense in a single card setup.

Single monitor gaming (@ high res 1920x1080 and above) is still very much the norm for PC gamers - eyefinity multi monitor setups and the like are really expensive and will require a top of the line PC, constantly upgraded over time to be able to keep giving good performance over time.

I'd suggest a nice 27" 2ms @ 1920x1080 or above as the way to go.

PSU wise grab a Corsair HX850 or XFX Black Edition 850w

As for the choice between 6870 or GTX 560, they're tied for performance, choice is up to you depending on price at the time and personal preference . They even tie in Tomshardware's GPU recommendations for their price range.

It's my opinion that you go for as much graphics card as you have budget for. The 580 is a great card by itself. Granted, it won't provide the framerates of two 560s, but you can always SLI later because you'll have an open slot on your motherboard. Consider 2 580s 6 months from now beat 3 560s or 3 6870s.

Also, I'd say don't go with two monitors for gaming. The reason this is not so great is the crosshair or focus of any game you play will be split between the monitors when you have two monitors. Each monitor has .5 to 1 inch bezel. This will sit between the on-screen image. If you use 1 monitor you don't have this. 3 monitors is ideal for the multi-monitor gaming setup because the focus is in the center of the center monitor. With 3 monitors, you wouldn't be looking at the monitor bezel between monitors like you would using two monitors.

Solution
1) To physically attach three monitors with current Nvidia cards, you will need two cards. AMD eyefinity can with effort, attach three. But one card may not be sufficient for three monitors.

2) Most games play on one monitor only, but this will change, I think.

3) In general, I like a single card when it will do the job. Power requirements are lower and cheaper. Also, some games do not scale well with multiple gpu's.
At upgrade time, you will have options. A second card, or sell and get the next best thing. The top end cards seem to hold value longer.

4) For the best gaming, I think a single 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor is best. But--- they cost about $1000. They contain about the same number of pixels as a pair of 1080P monitors.

5) For a single 2560 x 1600 monitor, a GTX580 will run fine. That is what I use, along with a secondary monitor. I recommend it.

6) Middle of March should launch the GTX590, a dual gpu card that can handle 3 monitors.

7) 27" monitors will be 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080(1080P) resolution.
----------------------------------------------------------

You are getting a 2600K to be able to overclock. A 2500K should be able to overclock just as high. The Hyperthreading is all but useless for games.
I suggest you save $100 and put it towards a great graphics card. If the $100 is not that important to you, get the 2600K.

Go for a 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb. Your P67 motherboard will have 4 ram slots.

Look for the Intel 120gb 510 SSD due to launch on March 1. It should be faster. I don't know if it will be worth the $280 list price.

captj

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Thanks gents. I think I will go with a single 27' Asus monitor with a GTX 580 and leave open the potential for multiple monitor GTX 580 down the road.

I hadn't put to much thought into a 2500k over the 2600k, but it is something to consider.

That will be a mighty fine setup!