KJ67o

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
So I'm building a rig. It consists of the following:

i7 2600k
Asus Sabertooth p67
MSI gtx 570 twin frozr iii sc
most likely 16gb ddr3 1866 (if not, then 8gb)
the hdd will be 2 500gb sata 3 at raid 0. (was also considering getting a 1 tb hdd and a 60 gb ssd, but figured raid 0 will be just as good and cheaper).

I'm going to be gaming and want to see whether or not I could push the settings on max for bf3 and how the fps will play out.

I'm wondering if an i5 2500k with gtx 560 ti sc sli will be better than the one I currently have set up.

I also want to be running fraps and will be using autocad and inventor due to the fact that I am an engineering student.

Thanks!

Solution
You could also do a quick guestimate of how much of your time you'll spend using the engineering packages. In my student days, I had a copy of AutoCAD but rarely used it, so if I'd spent money on a system for that purpose it would have been wasted. A machine scoped for gaming will run engineering packages to an acceptable standard (probably more than acceptably, really) and you'll save some cash too. Your university / college should have systems capable of running the packages as well, so if you factor in usage on them (I know you may have to queue, but hey, students have time! ;) ) then your time on your own system may be even less again.

You can also try the i5-1500K / single 560Ti build and see how that works. Keep the option open...

KJ67o

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
But how long do you think 560 ti sli will do in the next year or so compared to a single 570. Keep in mind both are msi sc. 570 twin frozr III and the 560 ti twin frozr II

Two 560 Ti in SLI are more powerful than a single 570, so they will be acceptable to play games longer, especially if you're like me and play at 1920x1080 with detail settings as high as they will go. I definitely don't like playing at smaller resolutions or lower detail levels.

glingo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
If you're only gonna play games why buy the 2600K? the 2500K is just as fast (in games) and with the money you save you could buy a 60GB ssd for your OS, or buy 2x560Ti instead of a single 570.

no matter which combination you choose it will certainly be more than 'acceptable' at 1080p.
my i5 760 and Radeon 6870 already handles most games with max details... I don't play BF3 though...

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
You could also do a quick guestimate of how much of your time you'll spend using the engineering packages. In my student days, I had a copy of AutoCAD but rarely used it, so if I'd spent money on a system for that purpose it would have been wasted. A machine scoped for gaming will run engineering packages to an acceptable standard (probably more than acceptably, really) and you'll save some cash too. Your university / college should have systems capable of running the packages as well, so if you factor in usage on them (I know you may have to queue, but hey, students have time! ;) ) then your time on your own system may be even less again.

You can also try the i5-1500K / single 560Ti build and see how that works. Keep the option open for SLI in the future, then get another 560Ti. Instead of going SLI straight off the bat, get the most powerful single card you can afford, then you can SLI another in the future and have even more capability.

Solution

KJ67o

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
sorry I haven't replied, but been pretty busy lately.. Anyways I'm planning to buy in couple days and the Twin Frozr III (gtx570) has sold out.. I've seen asus, msi, and evga cards out there and now I'm sitting on ASUS ENGTX560 DCII (2x for SLI) since same price as the 570 twin frozr III. However, the core processors are less. Should I just stick with the 570 or stick with what I got.

CPU: i5 2600K
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-775M 775W
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (2x)
MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67