Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Bottlenecking my components?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 17, 2012 4:42:53 PM

is my motherboard bottlenecking my components?

when playing games it tends to lag and this is on high.

Motherboard

MSI 880GM-E41 AMD 880G (Socket AM3) DDR3 Micro-ATX Motherboard

CPU

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition 125W C3 (Socket AM3) Processor

Graphics

MSI GTX 560Ti TWIN FROZR II 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Ram

8GB Corsair Vengeance Blue (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Single Memory Module - CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B

The motherboard only cost me £43 i don't know if i skimped out on a good motherboard and has effected my performance or maybe even the memory?
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2012 4:56:39 PM

your bottleneck is the graphics card
April 17, 2012 5:13:39 PM

Damn really? I only bought it 4months ago for £160.

Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2012 5:20:13 PM

what resolution are you playing on and what games
with higher resolution you need more video memory
April 17, 2012 5:23:58 PM

1920x1080

World of Warcraft can vary , usually I fluctuate from 20 to 40 fps in busy areas , wow is a old game I was expecting my pc to destroy this lol .

Skyrim runs a little laggy on high

a c 135 V Motherboard
April 17, 2012 5:31:35 PM

alvine said:
your bottleneck is the graphics card

I disagree, but there's a way to find out. Turn your graphical details down. If FPS goes up, then yes, your graphics card is holding you back. If FPS stays the same, the CPU is your bottleneck. This is what I am inclined to suspect. Your results in WoW also suggest a CPU bottleneck to me. Crowded areas are not graphically complex, but do require the CPU to do a lot more work. Have you overclocked your CPU at all? You should be able to hit 3.6GHz fairly easily, and 4GHz is not unreasonable, if you have a decent cooler (e.g. most any tower-style 120mm cooler such as a Xigmatek Gaia).
Skyrim could be a little of both. The very highest settings on everything may be a bit much for the GTX560Ti, but you should still be able to play on near max with that card. If not, it's probably the CPU.
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2012 5:40:38 PM

Get a new motherboard and you shouldnotice better frames, trust me i was in your shoes a few months ago. I had a M4A88T mob and a 955, after i put it in the new Sabertooth 990FX i noticed a 15fps increase over my 45-50 avg. Better chipsets make a difference
April 17, 2012 6:19:05 PM

thank you jtt283 for your input. i did some tests in world of warcraft.

before doing this test i did find a guide on here to overclock my cpu and i got it to 3.8ghz running good so far.

everything on ultra 16 x anisotropic and 8 x multi sampling i was getting 30 fps standing still in stormwind near the AH.

i turned the particle and textures down to low i saw a increase to around 34fps.

i tried turning the shadow down to low and there it was an increase to 60 fps?. any idea what this means? graphics cant handle the shadows, or cpu cant handle the amount of shadows?. edit. its only on ultra is high resolution dynamic shadows for the entire scene?. when shadows are on high it goes to 52 fps.

cheers rockdpm ill keep it in mind. im not sure if i want to spend lots on new components before i know what i need.
!