Anyone tried Onimush Tactics?

Last response: in Video Games
May 17, 2004 3:23:50 AM

I've played pretty much everything there is to play and I'm running out of
stuff to play. I'm a HUGE fan of Strat/Tactical RPGs and I'm wondering if
this game is better than the reviews give it credit for.

Preston

More about : onimush tactics

Anonymous
May 17, 2004 2:16:05 PM

On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:23:50 -0700, Preston Crawford
<me@REMOVESPAMBLOCKprestoncrawford.com> wrote:

>I've played pretty much everything there is to play and I'm running out of
>stuff to play. I'm a HUGE fan of Strat/Tactical RPGs and I'm wondering if
>this game is better than the reviews give it credit for.
>
>Preston

It's fairly boring. The game doesn't even feature facing. The
special attacks don't seem to special, and it looks terrible all the
time.

If you already played Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy
Tactics, and even the slightly out of genre Advance Wars games, maybe
you might want to give it a look. I'd be more inclined to try the
Megaman Battle Network games, or even the Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon games
before resorting to Onimusha Tactics. Even the very weak Eye of the
Beholder for GBA is a little better than OT.

Of course, if you have a PS2, you can just play Disgaea and La Pucell
for pretty much the rest of your life. Granted it's not portable, but
going places is over-rated.

PBC

m.m.m.m.m.m.m....What was my e-mail address?
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 2:16:06 PM

On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:16:05 -0400, p_conrad wrote:

> On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:23:50 -0700, Preston Crawford
> <me@REMOVESPAMBLOCKprestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>
>>I've played pretty much everything there is to play and I'm running out of
>>stuff to play. I'm a HUGE fan of Strat/Tactical RPGs and I'm wondering if
>>this game is better than the reviews give it credit for.
>>
>>Preston
>

> It's fairly boring. The game doesn't even feature facing. The
> special attacks don't seem to special, and it looks terrible all the
> time.

That's what I was afraid someone was going to say.

> If you already played Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy
> Tactics, and even the slightly out of genre Advance Wars games, maybe
> you might want to give it a look. I'd be more inclined to try the
> Megaman Battle Network games, or even the Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon games
> before resorting to Onimusha Tactics. Even the very weak Eye of the
> Beholder for GBA is a little better than OT.

Yeah, I have Pokemon and I'm going to start that soon. I'm playing Advance
Wars 2 right now. So I guess I'm just trying to collect more games worth
playing since the writing on the wall from E3 is that the GBA is an
abandoned platform.

> Of course, if you have a PS2, you can just play Disgaea and La
Pucell
> for pretty much the rest of your life. Granted it's not portable, but
> going places is over-rated.

Well, my problem is I don't really have the time to sit down and play
RPGs. That's why portable RPGs work better for me. I'd love to play those
above games and have considered getting a PS2 just for them, but I just
can't see myself spending the requisite time in front of my TV playing
them.

Preston
May 18, 2004 3:16:31 PM

On Mon, 17 May 2004 08:33:16 -0700, Preston Crawford
<me@REMOVESPAMBLOCKprestoncrawford.com> wrote:

>Well, my problem is I don't really have the time to sit down and play
>RPGs. That's why portable RPGs work better for me. I'd love to play those
>above games and have considered getting a PS2 just for them, but I just
>can't see myself spending the requisite time in front of my TV playing
>them.

I know what you mean. The portability factor is great, and I finish
more games on the GBA than I do on other systems for that reason. The
Nipon Ishi games are so crude in terms of graphics, hopefully they can
make the jump to portables on the next generation.

You can play La Pucelle or Disgaea in little bits most of the time,
but if you want to make a run through Dark World, or Item World, you
need to run through 10 levels without a save. You can breeze to the
exit, but it's in your best interest to really be thorough. A
portable with a hardware suspend feature would be a great thing to
have for these games!

Did you play Tactics Ogre? Personally, I think that is the best game
for the GBA - period. Some people like FFT better, but not me. It's
better to play Tactics Ogre for a second or third time than to play OT
once!

PBC

m.m.m.m.m.m.m....What was my e-mail address?
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 8:46:00 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:16:31 -0400, p_conrad <pm_mcmomnmrmamd@cheatsearch.com>
wrote:

>You can play La Pucelle or Disgaea in little bits most of the time,
>but if you want to make a run through Dark World, or Item World, you
>need to run through 10 levels without a save. You can breeze to the
>exit, but it's in your best interest to really be thorough. A
>portable with a hardware suspend feature would be a great thing to
>have for these games!

It's the one real disappointment I have with the SP... although some games have
an option to activate "sleep" mode to put it into a very low power state, I
really wish they'd have added another button/switch-position on the SP itself
that would activate this mode for ANY game. It really shouldn't be that hard
to have done, and should work with any existing game.

Regards,
Graham Holden
g-holden AT dircon DOT co DOT uk
(to reply by email, replace AT and DOT as appropriate).
May 18, 2004 11:42:31 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:16:31 -0400, p_conrad wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 2004 08:33:16 -0700, Preston Crawford
> <me@REMOVESPAMBLOCKprestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>

>>Well, my problem is I don't really have the time to sit down and play
>>RPGs. That's why portable RPGs work better for me. I'd love to play those
>>above games and have considered getting a PS2 just for them, but I just
>>can't see myself spending the requisite time in front of my TV playing
>>them.
>
> I know what you mean. The portability factor is great, and I finish
> more games on the GBA than I do on other systems for that reason. The
> Nipon Ishi games are so crude in terms of graphics, hopefully they can
> make the jump to portables on the next generation.

I wish they'd make the jump THIS generation.

> Did you play Tactics Ogre? Personally, I think that is the best game
> for the GBA - period. Some people like FFT better, but not me. It's
> better to play Tactics Ogre for a second or third time than to play OT
> once!

Yes. I love that game. I thought it was a better game than FFTA also. I
plan on playing it again sometime, but I was just looking for something
new.

Preston
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 1:43:37 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 16:46:00 +0100, Graham Holden
<look@bottom.of.post> wrote:

>It's the one real disappointment I have with the SP... although some games have
>an option to activate "sleep" mode to put it into a very low power state, I
>really wish they'd have added another button/switch-position on the SP itself
>that would activate this mode for ANY game. It really shouldn't be that hard
>to have done, and should work with any existing game.

I agree completely. I really wanted to play the Yu Gi Oh Dungeon Dice
game, but the scenarios run too long without any possible save.
Because I tend to play in small bits, that makes the game all but
useless to me. When you consider that the first generation Palm
Pilots had this feature - standard, there's no reason it shouldn't be
included in every hand-held system.

PBC

m.m.m.m.m.m.m....What was my e-mail address?
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 9:53:05 AM

Preston Crawford <me@REMOVESPAMBLOCKprestoncrawford.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.05.19.02.42.29.884864@REMOVESPAMBLOCKprestoncrawford.com>...
> On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:16:31 -0400, p_conrad wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 17 May 2004 08:33:16 -0700, Preston Crawford
> > <me@REMOVESPAMBLOCKprestoncrawford.com> wrote:

onimusha tactics is a great suprise for me, i think it's great!
!