P67 or Z68

wiggywinger

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
A quick question if you please.
Is a p67 board compatible with ivybridge or would it be better to go Z68?
Apart from the compatibility issue I don't need the cacheing as I have a SSD and the video thingy is not important, from what I can gather these are the only major differences between a P67 and a Z68

They are both compatible.

I would go with Z68 because of the features.
There are 3 major differences between the P67 and the Z68.

Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) lets you to use a small SSD (<50GB) to work as a caching drive to speed up the boot, start up of apps and access times.

IGP Support (Integrated Graphics on Processor) the Z68 boards have build in support for the IGP. The main advantages of this is that it will allow you to use the IGP for things like backup graphics and help with trouble shooting issues. Also with the Lucid Logix Virtu software you switch between the IGP and the dedicated video card for the best performance for the application that you are running.

Intel SATA III controller is better performing then the old Marvell controller that is used on the P67 boards.

Z68 is also great overclocker!

Z68, H67 and P67 are Ivybridge compatible. H61 is not.

Those are the differences between the Z68 and the P67.

They are both compatible. However if you're aiming for Ivybridge you should get a Intel 7 series chipse so that you have full support for PCIe 3.0 and other IvyBridge goodies. 6 series chipsets will not have full support

G

having the use of the igpu on the Z68 is nice for the possibility of having a problem with the discrete grfx card and still being able to have video.

G

fixed it for ya :)

Not all 6 series motherboards have been manufactured to meet 3rd generation PCIe electrical specifications. Most of the Z68 should have been but not necessarily on the P67 or H67

There's also enhanced DDR3 support and higher memory speeds

G

the electrical specs are the same, 150 watts. . oh but you mean DATA bandwidth. each chipset Z68, H67, H61 and P67 have the same support; like asus for an example:
[PCIe 3.0 Support Model List]
many manufacturers in the last six month have been providing it; it is more common than not; it is still cpu dependent.

and since the memory controller is on the cpu, it isn't the chipset that dictates the memory speed. though sandy bridge cpus can handle ddr3 1600 as long as its 1.5v to not void the intel warranty.

seriously, there is nothing exciting about the ivy bridge chipset; 2 more sataIII and usb3 ports. wipee!