Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Thoughts on an XFX ATI HD 5770?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 27, 2011 2:15:55 PM

Hi folks, a quick question for y'all!

Looking to upgrade my computer (not a full-blown overhaul, but just replacing parts) and scratching my head over what graphics card to get. I currently have an XFX nVidia 9600 GSO which is rather dated now and struggles on various games. The graphics card I am considering replacing it with is a XFX HD 5770 (details here).

After seeing an article on Tom's Hardware about the comparisons, it seems like a decent choice. A good mix of FPS, low power usage and little noise it seems at a decent price (currently about £105). As a note, I'll be running this (like my old card) at 1680x1050 and seems more than capable of handling it.

As a note, here are the parts I'll be changing along with the graphics card (with before and after, click item name to see it on eBuyer):

  • Corsair 1x2GB DDR3 1033MHz RAM -> Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit
  • 1x Seagate 320GB SATA II HDD -> 2x Seagate 1TB SATA II HDD 32MB Cache in RAID setup
  • Windows XP 64-bit Professional -> Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition
  • XFX nVidia 9600 GSO -> XFX HD 5770 1GB GDDR5

    And that's it for replacements. I'm sure about the other parts except the graphics card, hence would love some input on this! Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this :) 
  • More about : thoughts xfx ati 5770

    February 27, 2011 2:31:26 PM

    If your power supply isn't crap the GTX 460 is a much better value.

    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/227634

    Remember at idle both of these cards are not consuming much energy. At maximum load when gaming you'll care a lot more about the 20-40% the GTX 460 is faster than the 42 watts of electricity it's saving you.

    Upgrading your video card isn't going to do much good if your processor is not sufficient to power it.

    Going from XP to 7 will improve your performance in some games by itself since DX10/11 versions of games usually run faster and look better than DX9.
    February 27, 2011 2:47:23 PM

    Thanks for the comments.

    The PSU I currently have is a Corsair 450W while the CPU is a AMD Athlon II X4 620 (2.61GHz).

    Funnily enough, a GTX 460 was my initial choice! The one you linked is interesting but was looking at the 1GB version, though I have no experience with the company "Zotac" (never even heard of them before today!), always been used to Asus, XFX, Sapphire and MSI, and it was the MSI GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 I was looking at initially - £18 more expensive than the Zotac one you linked but more memory.

    Hope this helps!
    Related resources
    February 27, 2011 3:29:13 PM

    Both the 768 and 1gb version are much faster than the 5770. The MSI is well worth the extra money.

    If you can't overclock that Athlon II to like 3.0 ghz it'll bottleneck. Even at 3.0ghz it'll be somewhat of a bottleneck though I think you should be able go get to 3.2. If you have a good motherboard and the CPU cannot be overclocked more go with a Phenom II X4 BE or 1055T.

    PSU should be fine.
    a b U Graphics card
    February 27, 2011 10:08:26 PM

    If it was me I would pour the money into a solid 5770, and sell your old parts off on ebay or something, and pour that money into a faster Athlon X4. You will find better balance that way and you wont have to sweat the power and heat issues that come along with a GF 460.
    February 27, 2011 10:18:43 PM

    Don't listen to this idiot; for $15 more than the 5770 the 460 destroys it.

    Funny how this AMD fanboy doesn't mention power and heat issues with his CPU upgrade suggestion.
    a b U Graphics card
    February 27, 2011 11:27:40 PM

    minitron815 said:
    Don't listen to this idiot; for $15 more than the 5770 the 460 destroys it.

    Funny how this AMD fanboy doesn't mention power and heat issues with his CPU upgrade suggestion.


    The 460 is not a massive leap over the 5770. It is more powerful, sure, but not the way you seem to make it out to be, and he may, or may not be able to yield good stability and temps doing overclocks on his cpu, so that quick fix may not apply to him. Upgrading to the 5770 and the upping the cpu to a better Athlon II X4 wont cause the same kinda heat, stability, and power issues that going to a GF 460 and overclocking his current cpu would cause. Really it shouldn't cause any real heat jump in fact, since the Athlon II X4 cpus run pretty cool and a lot of the newer 5770 cards run well under 68 degrees Celsius at load due to better coolers over the original models. Needs to be said though some 5770 cards dont have the best coolers out there (the original and single slot ones mainly), and can get warm during load. Exact same rules apply to the 460 too though. Some have great coolers, some don't. A 5770 can be had for around US $100 if the OP looks around on the used side of things or finds a good deal on ebay, and is not dead set on just the XFX one. As for ebuyer.com, these two 5770 cards are the cheapest ones on the site you were shopping on:

    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/248749
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/189741

    Also minitron815, don't presume I am a AMD fanboy just because I recommend the 5770 on matters like this. You do not know me, or anything about me, or even what all hardware I use in my home. I have 6 systems running in my house, and all of them use a variety of hardware from both AMD, Intel, and Nvidia, and I am a registered member of Club SLI. The OP said specifically a desire of "A good mix of FPS, low power usage and little noise it seems at a decent price" and honestly the 5770 can provide that a bit better then the 460 can if you go for a well priced 5770. It would then leave him with more cash to pour into a better cpu in the process.
    February 28, 2011 3:58:32 AM

    "Upgrading to the 5770 and the upping the cpu to a better Athlon II X4 wont cause the same kinda heat, stability, and power issues that going to a GF 460 and overclocking his current cpu would cause"

    Well going from an Athlon II to a Phenom II will be adding 30 watts; hardly any different from the 42 watts more the 460 consumes. The GTX 460 is much faster before overclocking and it's pretty much a given that you can overclock all GF104 chips at least 20% without trouble.

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/296?vs=315

    The 460 stomping over the 5770. Nice $15 investment.
    a b U Graphics card
    February 28, 2011 5:47:33 AM

    minitron815 said:
    "Upgrading to the 5770 and the upping the cpu to a better Athlon II X4 wont cause the same kinda heat, stability, and power issues that going to a GF 460 and overclocking his current cpu would cause"

    Well going from an Athlon II to a Phenom II will be adding 30 watts; hardly any different from the 42 watts more the 460 consumes. The GTX 460 is much faster before overclocking and it's pretty much a given that you can overclock all GF104 chips at least 20% without trouble.

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/296?vs=315

    The 460 stomping over the 5770. Nice $15 investment.


    No one even said anything about upgrading to a Phenom II X4.... The point was to offer cheaper options that are economically sound, while also providing good performance at a low power draw and nice temps. If you found a GF 460 for him that was only $15 more then the cheapest 5770 I posted a link to, on a site he can actually order from since he is not in the USA, please do post a link or two, thanks. If not, then dont post, because your not helping at all, just wasting peoples time.

    And also, showing us in your link that going to a GF 460 over a 5770 will get you 3-15 fps gain in most games totally maxed out that they tested just proved my point, that the jump in performance was not massive. Thanks for posting that for me.
    February 28, 2011 4:58:12 PM

    I could cherry pick like your fanboy ass and point out how the GTX 460 has a 29 fps (29%) advantage over the HD 5770 in HAWX or 37 fps advantage in Civ 5.

    I would rather people look at the benchmark themselves and notice that the GTX 460 beats the HD 5770 by 15-30% across the board which is pretty huge for $15. If you don't think 75 fps is significantly more than 60 fps you're even more stupid than you look. Actually your stupidity astounds me I don't think you could look any worse.

    A good HD 5770 is $135 USD while a good 460 is $150; that's before MIR where they can be about the same price.

    a b U Graphics card
    February 28, 2011 9:05:30 PM

    minitron815 said:
    I could cherry pick like your fanboy ass and point out how the GTX 460 has a 29 fps (29%) advantage over the HD 5770 in HAWX or 37 fps advantage in Civ 5.

    I would rather people look at the benchmark themselves and notice that the GTX 460 beats the HD 5770 by 15-30% across the board which is pretty huge for $15. If you don't think 75 fps is significantly more than 60 fps you're even more stupid than you look. Actually your stupidity astounds me I don't think you could look any worse.

    A good HD 5770 is $135 USD while a good 460 is $150; that's before MIR where they can be about the same price.


    Like I said, give him some links to one that is only $15 more then the cheapest 5770 I linked to, and make sure it's in his location, not on newegg or some other vendor in the USA. GF 460 sales in the USA wont do him any good. So if you want to help the guy, get him some viable links so he can order one at the price you are saying he can get one at. Otherwise, just politely shut up already, you are wasting peoples time on here posting just to argue and rant how everyone who doesn't recommend or prefer what you do is a fanboy, just like on the other threads you have been posting on yesterday. Oh and yeah, you do realize that going around obsessively badgering everyone into buying Nvidia and Intel products every other thread is the very epitome of being a rabidly retarded fanboy, no? Just wanted to check to see if you have realized that about yourself yet. At any rate, we are done here fanboy.
    February 28, 2011 10:34:27 PM

    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/227634

    Slightly more than $15 but much better than what you linked. It was from the same site; I just bothered to actually look at the 460s.

    People ask for recommendations and I don't intend to mislead them by recommending AMD processors or this crappy video card. I recommend good products regardless of company or vendor such as the 6950 2gb.

    Just don't buy this piece of crap HD 5770 like this scrub above me recommends.
    a b U Graphics card
    February 28, 2011 11:24:10 PM

    minitron815 said:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/227634

    Slightly more than $15 but much better than what you linked. It was from the same site; I just bothered to actually look at the 460s.

    People ask for recommendations and I don't intend to mislead them by recommending AMD processors or this crappy video card. I recommend good products regardless of company or vendor such as the 6950 2gb.

    Just don't buy this piece of crap HD 5770 like this scrub above me recommends.


    I am not a currency exchange expert, but I think the difference between the 5770 I linked to at £98.99 and the GTX 460 you linked to at £118.99 give you a price difference of about USD $30. That is a bit far off from being just slightly more, as your original statement of a $15 difference became $30.... So, can you do better, and actually find him one at the supposed USD $15.00 difference you had originally stated? If not, can you find a equivalent to the GF 460 for him at a USD $15 difference? I mean hey, you wanted to talk a lot of BS and toss out numbers, so now its time to back it up and deliver on that, and not with any of this "slightly more" bs.

    February 28, 2011 11:33:01 PM

    It's $30 in exchange rate but that doesn't mean the difference is going to be noticed by him; this gets into the whole purchasing power parity and cost of goods comparisons. I'll bet going from HD 6870 to HD 6950 costs $50 there instead of the $30 here. Basically that 19 BP difference is the equivalent of our $15 difference here for video cards.

    Either way for the extra $30 for 15-30% increase in performance is well worth it.

    You still haven't explained to me how the GTX 460 will cause heat and stability issues or backed up your whole "jump in performance was not massive" crap.
    a c 169 U Graphics card
    February 28, 2011 11:54:23 PM

    if i were op, i would ditch the raid setup for a single 1tb hard drive (raid with those drives will be unreliable unless you buy the raid version drives which are more expensive), forget the 1333mhz ram, just add the same type of ram to what you have. Now with the $ you saved on the HDD and ram, upgrade the GPU to geforce 460 or amd 6850 instead of the 5770, will be MUCH better at that res.. The CPU isnt horribble but could be better. Re-seating the cpu with AS5 thermal paste and OC it to 3ghz should be possible with the stock cooler so long as the case has sufficient airflow. And now you have a decent gaming PC.
    a b U Graphics card
    March 1, 2011 12:27:18 AM

    minitron815 said:
    It's $30 in exchange rate but that doesn't mean the difference is going to be noticed by him; this gets into the whole purchasing power parity and cost of goods comparisons. I'll bet going from HD 6870 to HD 6950 costs $50 there instead of the $30 here. Basically that 19 BP difference is the equivalent of our $15 difference here for video cards.

    Either way for the extra $30 for 15-30% increase in performance is well worth it.

    You still haven't explained to me how the GTX 460 will cause heat and stability issues or backed up your whole "jump in performance was not massive" crap.



    USD $30 is quite a bit of a difference from $15 regardless of what country you are in. For some peoples budgets it can make all the difference between buying a upgrade or not. Not everyone has all the cash in the world to toss around, and again, he could always put that extra cash towards a cpu upgrade. A 3-15 fps difference depending on the game is not a "massive" performance increase, especially if both cards are running said game over 40 fps anyway. A massive performance increase would be more along the lines of the 18-30 fps on up. If the game is capped at 30 fps, like Split Second, Transformers War for Cybertron, or Force Unleashed 2, then it wont even matter. I never said the 460 was not more powerful, only that it is not massively more powerful, which is a well known fact, one that your link even provides enough evidence to. There is good solid reasons as to why the 5770 is constantly listed on Tomshardware on the Best PCIe Card list as a price/performance favorite. I guess you must have missed that. Too busy name calling and berating people constantly on the forums I guess ehh? Maybe you need a review refresher ?


    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446...
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/19/gigabyte_hd_5... (normal 5770 included in the test)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-...

    Also, I never said the 460 would cause stability issues, only that your suggestion of him overclocking his current cpu could possibly, and that depending on which 460 he got, the power draw at load could force his current psu to work harder, generating more heat. Factor that in with overclocking his current cpu on a average cooler possibly, and depending on if the 460 he got had a nice cooler or a average one, yeah, clearly there would be a increase in heat compared to just buying a 5770 and a better Athlon II X4. So again, put up or shut up. Find him a 460 or a equivalent at an ACTUAL USD $15.00 DIFFERENCE as you had originally stated. Not a $30 difference.
    March 1, 2011 12:42:34 AM

    He has a Corsair 450W; it will run the 460. The 42 watts more it draws compared to the 5770 is negligible with that power supply. Something anyone informed would know.

    I think it's funny how you think wattage is the only indicator for heat. The HD 5850 draws less power than the GTX 460 but produces much more heat. Then again you're an ignorant retard so I shouldn't expect you to know this.

    "A 3-15 fps difference depending on the game is not a "massive" performance increase, especially if both cards are running said game over 40 fps anyway. A massive performance increase would be more along the lines of the 18-30 fps on up."

    You would notice a much bigger difference between 40 fps and 55 fps than 90 fps and 120 fps. If one video card gave you 40 fps and another gave you 55 fps in the same setup the one that gives you a 15 additional fps has a significant performance advantage. But you keep cherry picking and skewing your numbers; I doubt anyone who actually looks at http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/296?vs=315 will believe your bullshit.

    For $30 more the GTX 460 is MUCH BETTER than the HD 5770.

    So again:

    You still haven't explained to me how the GTX 460 will cause heat and stability issues or backed up your whole "jump in performance was not massive" crap.
    a b U Graphics card
    March 1, 2011 12:53:45 AM

    minitron815 said:
    He has a Corsair 450W; it will run the 460. The 42 watts more it draws compared to the 5770 is negligible with that power supply. Something anyone informed would know.

    I think it's funny how you think wattage is the only indicator for heat. The HD 5850 draws less power than the GTX 460 but produces much more heat. Then again you're an ignorant retard so I shouldn't expect you to know this.

    "A 3-15 fps difference depending on the game is not a "massive" performance increase, especially if both cards are running said game over 40 fps anyway. A massive performance increase would be more along the lines of the 18-30 fps on up."

    You would notice a much bigger difference between 40 fps and 55 fps than 90 fps and 120 fps. If one video card gave you 40 fps and another gave you 55 fps in the same setup the one that gives you a 15 additional fps has a significant performance advantage. But you keep cherry picking and skewing your numbers; I doubt anyone who actually looks at http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/296?vs=315 will believe your bullshit.

    For $30 more the GTX 460 is MUCH BETTER than the HD 5770.

    So again:

    You still haven't explained to me how the GTX 460 will cause heat and stability issues or backed up your whole "jump in performance was not massive" crap.


    I'm sorry, I already did, and I did not cherry pick any numbers, as I never posted any specifics, just stating that your own link provided proof in my favor, you just missed it all. So again, stop trying to change the price/performance subject. Put up or shut up. Find him a 460 or a equivalent at an ACTUAL USD $15.00 DIFFERENCE as you had originally stated. Not a $30 difference. When you can, lmk, and I will reply back. Until then, you will get nothing more from me as YOU are being nothing but a unhelpful waste of time for everyone.
    March 1, 2011 1:00:09 AM

    It's not helpful for him to get sound advice with a video card purchase? For $30 more the GTX 460 is MUCH BETTER than the HD 5770.

    You can keep skewing and cherry picking numbers in your head to convince yourself the GTX 460 isn't a significantly better than the HD 5770 and I'll just keep posting the link for others to see.

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/296?vs=315

    Apparently these benchmarks showing a 15-30% performance increase doesn't mean the GTX 460 demolishes the HD 5770.

    Keep posting and keep getting destroyed; this is fun.
    a b U Graphics card
    March 1, 2011 2:33:07 AM

    @OP: If you didn't get the answer you needed, please create a new thread, as this one has gotten out of hand.
    !