BSOD with new build (i7 2600)

corleone11

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
It's been a week since my new build has been up and running pretty smoothly. I hadn't had the chance to test the systems potential until tonight
so I decided to run a little test, which I didn't consider to have been too vigorous. I began by ripping a Blu-Ray movie using DVDFab 8 which uses
CUDA Technology from my GPU to supposedly speed up video encoding. Whilst ripping the Blu-Ray disc, I opened Firefox web browser and visited
YouTube and viewed three videos simultaneously, one in 1080p res and two in the default 480p res. Upon opening the third video, my computer froze,
then suddenly the dreaded BSOD :eek: . I was also running Asus AI Suite II sensor and CoreTemp to monitor my temps.
Do you guys consider this to be enough to cause a BSOD :??: My rig has the following specs:

Mobo: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
CPU: intel Core i7 2600
GPU: Gigabyte 560Ti OC
RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz
PSU: Corsair HX650
CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Armageddon
Case: NZXT Phantom with 5 case fans

All help and suggestions (and insults ;) ) are welcomed

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Well that is perhaps pushing your system beyond what the average punter would require. HD Encoding really taxes a system at the best of times. It is possible that various applications tried to access critical components simultaneously which may have caused Win 7 to BSOD.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
How is your ram set up? is it one 2x4GB and one 2x2GB or did you put 3x4? also the voltage? It sounds as though it was utilizing some of your ram and when you needed to run more it hit a bad ram stick and died. Generally a BSOD is a memory issue.

Download and run memtest86 and see what that shows.

corleone11

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Yeah thought so. But i thought a rig with this spec would somewhat handle it....apparently not :(

corleone11

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

My RAM setup is 2 4GB sticks and 2 2GB sticks. Although this is my first build, i did do alot of research ;)
I undesrstand that in order to get accurate error reporting with memtest, i need to have only 1 RAM module installed at a time.
Also, it's recommended to have it run for at least 2 hours per module - i have 4 sticks, so that's 8 hours :eek:
That will have to be a weekend thing due to work commitments :sarcastic:

I'll report back here once i've done it.........
Thanks for your help guys!