Status
Not open for further replies.

tougas

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I currently have the P67 sabertooth and i love this board but unfortunately it doesnt support the new gtx 680 so i will probably upgrade my board soon so i was wondering if anyone has bough the new z77 chipset mobo and what the thoughts were on it. Even non-owners thoughts are welcome. Thanks guys!

Solution
@tougas....

NO your board will NOT bottlekneck a 680. the 680 CANNOT fill the PCI-e 2 @16 bandwidth (8gb/sec) so upgrading to a PCI-e 3 @ 16 (16GB/sec) WILL NOT IMPROVE PERFORMANCE.

even at 2GB/sec (PCI-e 2 @ 4x) the bottlenecking is minimal and only a hand full of games are effected.

There is absolutly no need to get PCI-e 3.0 for ANY single card avaliable at the moment. Unless ur going to Crossfire / SLI these cards or get one of the currently unreleased 690 / 7990 cards its a waste of money.

tougas

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
The 680 requires a PCIe 3.0 for full capabilities. I just wish i knew what i know now before i bought it back in the day. The p67 is a great motherboard dont get me wrong but i guess i just get bored and need to frequently update or upgrade. I may just hang on to this one a bit longer lol well see.

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
well, if it's a matter of personal preference, I have a sabertooth board as well and love it also, though most people consider them overpriced. Personal preference is just that, it's the right to say "i just don't care how relevant this upgrade will be, i want it and i'm getting it." :)

tougas

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
thats about where i was. I had a small little mid tower case and i was playing a game and skyping with my gf and saw my temps reach 60c on my cpu and ram and decided i needed a full tower. now with all this space i just want to make it cramped like my mod tower was lol. i just heard mix reviews on sli-ing my 560ti so im torn between that and a new card all together. but if i go new ill be going all the way new so the 680 would be my choice

tougas

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
lol yea exactly. i just dont find the 680 as attractive as some of the older GPU's i miss the old circuit looking cards the looked so much more techie from outside the case. theyre all covered with a plastic shroud now. its depressing.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
i am 95% sure a GTX680 cannot fully saturates a PCI-E 2 at x16.

from all the benchmarks i have read. it seems only to be an issue when running SLI. and the PCI-E 2 will drop to 8x8. vs PCIe3 at 8x8

PCIE 2 @16 is roughly = to PCIE 3 @ 8

i would keep the board run the tests and benchmarks then if your not happy change to a Z77 and run the same benchmarks.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
And Here again. NOTE its RE the 7970 but as performance is quite close so is the bandwidth limiations.

"QUOTE:Ultimately what is clear is that 8GB/sec of bandwidth, either in the form of PCIe 2 x16 or PCIe 3 x8, will be necessary to completely feed the 7970. 16GB/sec (PCIe 3 x16) appears to be overkill for a single card at this time, and 4GB/sec or 2GB/sec will bottleneck the 7970 depending on the game. The good news is that even at 2GB/sec the bottlenecking is rather limited, and based on our selection of benchmarks it looks like a handful of games will be bottlenecked. Still, there’s a good argument here that 7970CF owners are going to want a PCIe 3 system to avoid bottlenecking their cards – in fact this may be the greatest benefit of PCIe 3 right now, as it should provide enough bandwidth to make an x8/x8 configuration every bit as fast as an x16/x16 configuration, allowing for maximum GPU performance with Intel’s mainstream CPUs."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5458/the-radeon-hd-7970-reprise-pcie-bandwidth-overclocking-and-msaa

In summary there would be no improvement for getting a PCIe 3.0 compatible mobo unless your looking to SLI 680's or getting a 690 when it's out. I would stick with the P67 and get the 680 if it comes time that u want to SLI then look at getting a PCIe 3.0 board and IVY bridge CPU if u feel the need.

monsta

Splendid
Wait till Ivy Bridge is released , see how much better the Z77 platform is with it and then you can see if its worth it.
The release date is on the 23rd of this month , so soon we will have a chance to see the reviews.
I just dont think you will have a bottleneck at all , your current system is excellent from looking at your config, and you will have excellent performance using a 680 and it will beat the pants off your 560ti.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
@tougas....

NO your board will NOT bottlekneck a 680. the 680 CANNOT fill the PCI-e 2 @16 bandwidth (8gb/sec) so upgrading to a PCI-e 3 @ 16 (16GB/sec) WILL NOT IMPROVE PERFORMANCE.

even at 2GB/sec (PCI-e 2 @ 4x) the bottlenecking is minimal and only a hand full of games are effected.

There is absolutly no need to get PCI-e 3.0 for ANY single card avaliable at the moment. Unless ur going to Crossfire / SLI these cards or get one of the currently unreleased 690 / 7990 cards its a waste of money.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.