Will the Z77 chipsets work with the 2500k i5?

kevin5fan

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Hi so I'm builing my first PC and I decided to get the i5 2500k. I am looking foward to the Ivy Bridge CPUs, when they come out will the prices be higher then the current Sandy bridge processors? Or will the prices be close. If I can wait I probably will get a ivy bridge i5 CPU, anyone might know the prices during the release?

Also I found this MSI Z77 motherboard that looks really nice

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130643

Just wondering if it was good. If you know something that is better and at the same price please tell me. And also if I go with the Sandy Bridge CPU first and then I purchase the Ivy Bridge in the future will uninstalling the Sandy Bridge and installing the Ivy Bridge be difficicult? Becuz i prepare to overclock the sandy bridge if it get it first. Will I have to like reset the BIOS if I update the CPU with a Ivy Bridge? Just wondering

constepatdyak

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
All are socket 1155...ivy and sandy. the new ivys will probably be like 10% more than the current prices, but after the supply and demand balances out it will be the same as sandy. Why would it be difficult? just remove cpu and put the new ivy cpu in. no bios reset, it's a z77 board for ivy

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Yes there will likley be a bios update for Z67 and Z77 mobo's once ivy bridge is out. no big deal tho.

NOTE there is absolutly no advantage to running a Z77 over a Z67 with the 2500k.
And i doubt there will be an advantage of running an IVY Bridge CPU in a Z77 vs Z67 either. but we will have to wait to see on that one.

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

???

monsta

Splendid
Ivy Bridge should be released on the 23rd of this month , worth waiting a few days to see if its worth purchasing, the pricing should be similar.
With a 2500K the Z77 motherboard will work with it out of the box....simple answer is yes