Sign in with
Your question

Bizzare internet issues, internet only works with router?

Last response: in Networking
August 12, 2010 1:44:47 AM

Hey guys, when I'm at my wits end I come to Tom's because I've come to a point where I don't know what to do. So here's my problem, and any insight would be very welcome.

I have two computers, both on a wired connection, and a laptop on a wireless connection. A couple weeks ago, whenever I turned on my computer I wouldn't have internet connectivity and neither would anyone else, we would just be able to see the network. A simple modem/router restart fixed the issue.

It eventually got to an obnoxious habit,so I went out and bought a new, Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router, WNR2000v2. It was working for a few days fine, but now other symptoms have a risen. I am getting the loss of internet connectivity until I restart the modem/router...and my internet when it is working has come to a crawl. I do speed tests, and I'm getting about 300kbps, and I should have a 3MB connection, and test somewhere between 2.5-3 on good days, 2MB on bad days. If I plug my modem directly into the computer, I have no internet connectivity. Only when I plug my computer back into the router, can I get any internet service. I am provided internet from a small, local company, and they have assured my modem is working fine, and I have no reason to believe it is not.

I can handle a computer and the Windows OS pretty fine, I build computers without troubles and manage plenty of software, but I'm a dunce when it comes to understanding network issues. I can tell you I have Windows 7, and I get the DNS from the ISP dynamically, and I do not have any specific DNS server, or IP addressed signed to any computer; it's all done automatically. There is no required authentication, no login from the provider.

The issues seems to be computer based, but I cannot figure out what. If there is a setting on the router that I'm missing, point me in the right direction. I have a DMZ port open for gaming, and a few other ports forwarded. Besides that everything should be set on default.

Thank you for your time!
August 12, 2010 2:34:51 AM

Yup, that's a good one alright.

I'm guessing you have a DSL connection (the 3Mb/sec gives it away).

DSL uses PPPoE in many places.

Your computer needs to authenticate the connection (but not with some companies).

This seems like a valid thing to say, except the routers are not doing authentication, so how do they connect?

My feeling is that there is some "reduced functionality" thing going on until authentication is done.

Most wired/wireless routers (not 3G aircard types) have a method of handling the authentication for you, since being behind the router, you wouldn't be able to do it yourself anymore as it starts off with an incoming connection, blocked by router firewalls, unless DMZ is active at the time of authentication.

I went through this hassle with a DSL connection a few years ago when I was living in the U.S. I got tired of the poor service and went to cable. Now, I'd take the DSL, it was far cheaper than What I pay here.

I don't know that any of this is going to help, the authentication thing and all, but who knows? Might be the problem.
m
l
August 12, 2010 12:24:51 PM

Hey Tig, thanks for the reply.

I have 3MB wireless connection from a local company, no DSL and they don't use PPPoE, or any form of authentication. There's something like a location/receiver in the modem, that simply needs to be activated by the company to even pick up a signal.

- I do remember helping someone out with their DSL connection, and we had to "bridge" it with the modem (never heard of this term before), and that was giving us fits for sometime.

Thanks for the help though!
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2010 1:07:05 PM

The signal from the wireless company may be weakened. This could be because of the structure (your house, a wall, trees, etc). You may want to relocate the modem to a place where it will get a stronger signal.

Wireless signals will be greatly affected by trees and plants around it.

The reason you are unable to connect your computer directly to the modem and have it work is due to your ISP locking the MAC address of the router. This ensures you only get 1 IP address. They want you to buy additional IP addresses but by putting the router in place, you don't need to worry about that.

A simple test would be to ping a website from your computer for a duration. From a command line you would type: ping -n 5000 (website) >> C:\Pingtest.cmd

This would at least give you a txt file you can send to your ISP for review. It will show your connection dropping or spikes in performance. The ping will send out 5000 packets over an hour or two.

Overall I would question the strength of your ISP's wireless signal to your location.
m
l
August 13, 2010 1:58:57 PM

Hmmm this is rather interesting. I'll have to do this in a little bit and see where the results leave me.

My modem has 5 LCD lights, which are suppose to indicate the signal strength but not the amount of bandwidth being sent. For the last two days everything has been working really well, and I'm even getting full speeds again. It is usually like this before I have three days where I cannot do anything, and am left puzzling my own equipment.

I didn't know I could extract those to a text, thanks for the help Riser!
m
l
August 13, 2010 6:19:44 PM

How's the weather been? That can also affect your wireless signal. On those cloudy overcast days I can get radio signals that I don't normally get. Wireless works the same way - your environment can affect it.
m
l
!