Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX460 vs GTX460 SE

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 27, 2011 5:36:59 PM

Hello

Im still full of questions about choosing a new GPU.
Heres another one:
Whats the difference between GTX460 and GTX460 SE or Smart Edition and is it big?

More about : gtx460 gtx460

February 27, 2011 5:54:17 PM

Or maybe i should get a MSI HD6850 OC
Related resources
February 27, 2011 11:23:38 PM

RobisssLV said:
Hello

Im still full of questions about choosing a new GPU.
Heres another one:
Whats the difference between GTX460 and GTX460 SE or Smart Edition and is it big?


I just bought an EVGA 460 GTX SE 1 GB on New Egg. It's a nice deal in you get two games for free and a twenty dollar rebate, bringing the total to $140 An EVGA 460 GTX is running about $200 on Newegg.

The difference between the two is about 4 fps. So if you want to get an extra 4 fps, then get the better card. To me, it's not much of a difference.
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2011 11:48:58 PM

The GTX460 has 336 Shaders, whereas the GTX460SE has 288 Shaders. The performance in most games is pretty close though.
February 28, 2011 11:24:06 AM

sykozis said:
The GTX460 has 336 Shaders, whereas the GTX460SE has 288 Shaders. The performance in most games is pretty close though.


Maybe i should get a HD6850 OC
March 1, 2011 5:23:50 PM

Hey but if i have a choice:
HD6850 OC or GTX460 OC. Which shoul i choose?
a c 595 U Graphics card
March 1, 2011 5:57:05 PM

GTX 460 for numerous reasons, but stability, performance, and added features like PhysX stand out.
March 1, 2011 6:09:20 PM

17seconds said:
GTX 460 for numerous reasons, but stability, performance, and added features like PhysX stand out.


So GTX460?
And will it handle everything(except Crysis) on max on 1280*1024 res?

Now i have:
Intel core i5 3.2Ghz quad-core
4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
Ill get a 550W Xilence PSU
a c 595 U Graphics card
March 1, 2011 6:17:50 PM

RobisssLV said:
So GTX460?
And will it handle everything(except Crysis) on max on 1280*1024 res?

Now i have:
Intel core i5 3.2Ghz quad-core
4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
Ill get a 550W Xilence PSU

Yep, it should pair up nicely with that system you have. The great thing is you have several custom models to choose from. The one I would get is the Gigabyte Superoverclock (SOC) or the MSI Hawk Talon Attack. Do you have a favorite shopping site?
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-460-...
March 1, 2011 6:20:08 PM

17seconds said:
Yep, it should pair up nicely with that system you have. The great thing is you have several custom models to choose from. The one I would get is the Gigabyte Superoverclock (SOC) or the MSI Hawk Talon Attack. Do you have a favorite shopping site?
http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-460-...

The problem is i live in Latvia. Well, u can try to find those cards in site called salidzini.lv
March 1, 2011 6:30:41 PM

17seconds said:
They definitely have both the Gigabyte and MSI cards.
http://memo.lv/index.php?l=lat&s=product&id=7463

Mmmm, yeah

The problem is that i dont have that much money. In that page the currency is Ls. I have only about 110Ls for a GPU and PSU. U gave me a GPU for 133Ls
a c 595 U Graphics card
March 1, 2011 6:33:57 PM

They do have less expensive models listed, but you may have to cut back to a basic GTX 460, maybe a 768MB one, but it will be hard to get a decent video card and PSU for 110Ls.
March 1, 2011 6:43:16 PM

17seconds said:
They do have less expensive models listed, but you may have to cut back to a basic GTX 460, maybe a 768MB one, but it will be hard to get a decent video card and PSU for 110Ls.

The funny thing is that currently i have this card:
http://memo.lv/index.php?l=lat&s=product&id=6843
March 1, 2011 6:49:57 PM

17seconds said:
They do have less expensive models listed, but you may have to cut back to a basic GTX 460, maybe a 768MB one, but it will be hard to get a decent video card and PSU for 110Ls.

Ill get a Xilence 550W PSU for 26Ls. So about 100Ls for GPU
a c 595 U Graphics card
March 1, 2011 6:50:08 PM

You need an upgrade. So don't be afraid to check out the GTX 460 SE version or the GTX 460 768mb version, if they fall within your budget. They will still be way better than your current card.

a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2011 7:15:39 PM

If you are sticking with 1280*1024 you don't need that good of a card to max games out. A 5770 or GTX 450 would probably do it.
March 2, 2011 12:45:30 PM

OR maybe a HD5830.
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 12:50:24 PM

if you really want to max out most games with max AA/AF you have to get the GTX 460. i had my 5850 OCed on a 1280x1024 monitor a few months back and i just couldnt max out metro 2033, crysis ran pretty good maxed out with 8xAA/16xAF but it could have ran better, got frame drops udner 30fps. remember that the 5850 is a little faster than the GTX 460.
March 2, 2011 12:54:02 PM

Derbixrace said:
if you really want to max out most games with max AA/AF you have to get the GTX 460. i had my 5850 OCed on a 1280x1024 monitor a few months back and i just couldnt max out metro 2033, crysis ran pretty good maxed out with 8xAA/16xAF but it could have ran better, got frame drops udner 30fps. remember that the 5850 is a little faster than the GTX 460.

But HD5830?
March 2, 2011 4:50:19 PM

I can get HD5830 for a pretty cheap price.
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 5:03:50 PM

no it wont, it would already struggle with metro 2033 maxed so dont expect to max every game out but for sure the most games will run nicely, it will be the best card you can afford with that budget.
March 2, 2011 5:06:20 PM

Derbixrace said:
no it wont, it would already struggle with metro 2033 maxed so dont expect to max every game out but for sure the most games will run nicely, it will be the best card you can afford with that budget.

I dont play games like Metro 2033
I play CoD and GTA
I hope it will get pretty good results in those games on max/high
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 5:07:02 PM

yeah those games will run very nicely on that card.
March 2, 2011 5:12:32 PM

Derbixrace said:
yeah those games will run very nicely on that card.

Will i get 50+fps on max on Black Ops or GTA 4
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 5:16:58 PM

on black ops you should but GTA 4 is a badly coded game so i cant promise anything but it should run well enough.
March 2, 2011 5:19:11 PM

Derbixrace said:
on black ops you should but GTA 4 is a badly coded game so i cant promise anything but it should run well enough.

On my current GPU i can run Black Ops on lowest with 25fps :D 
GTA 4 has a special FPS patch
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 5:22:08 PM

haha, well the most games should run maxed out so dont worry and get that card :) 
March 2, 2011 5:25:17 PM

Derbixrace said:
haha, well the most games should run maxed out so dont worry and get that card :) 

Two last questions:

1. Will Xilence 550W PSU feed the GTX460?

2. How can i mark the best answer in discussion?
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2011 5:30:19 PM

1. yeah it should be enough

2. i have no idea lol
March 5, 2011 4:57:34 PM

But if my motherboard has a CrossFire Support, can i put for example 2 GTX460's in it?
March 5, 2011 5:08:14 PM

Well, on other forum somepeople say i should get a HD5830(cuz of my monitor. Only 1280*1024 res max)
And it still wouldnt max out newest games even in this year.
March 5, 2011 5:42:28 PM

Hello? :D 
a c 595 U Graphics card
March 5, 2011 5:53:01 PM

At your resolution, you don't need much. I would be shopping for a GTX 460 768 MB version.

You could even get by with a GTS 450 for cheap.
March 5, 2011 6:45:07 PM

17seconds said:
At your resolution, you don't need much. I would be shopping for a GTX 460 768 MB version.

You could even get by with a GTS 450 for cheap.

But will a GTS450 max out games 2 years further?
a c 595 U Graphics card
March 5, 2011 9:05:41 PM

RobisssLV said:
But will a GTS450 max out games 2 years further?

No.
March 6, 2011 7:34:28 AM

Now i can't figure out which should i take:
XFX HD5830
or
Gigabyte HD5770 SOC
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2011 2:51:06 PM

What are the prices? The 5830 is better, but not by much.
March 6, 2011 4:09:35 PM

benski said:
What are the prices? The 5830 is better, but not by much.

U think i should get extra money for a GTX460 768Mb?
Cuz im planning to play newest games on 1280*1024 resolution.
a c 595 U Graphics card
March 6, 2011 4:44:08 PM

RobisssLV said:
U think i should get extra money for a GTX460 768Mb?
Cuz im planning to play newest games on 1280*1024 resolution.

That would be my suggestion.
!