Sign in with
Your question

How much effect does rest of system have on RAM

Last response: in Memory
April 18, 2012 2:04:54 AM

I am toying around with some new RAM that is supposed to overclock like wild, but it's currently in a secondary system. Should the timings/clock speeds translate to my main system if I decide to throw it in there?

System it's in:
Phenom II 960t
Asus M5A78L M LX Plus

Main system I would like it to go in:
i5 2500k @ 4.5
Asrock extreme3 gen3

Let me know if you want any other specs, my intuition tells me if anything is going to break the OC it will be either MB or CPU.

More about : effect rest system ram

a c 146 } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 2:18:22 AM

Make suree the RAM u are toying with, is 1.5v or less.

m
l
April 18, 2012 2:39:11 AM

nikorr said:
Make suree the RAM u are toying with, is 1.5v or less.

It's the 30nm Samsung memory that is stock 1.35v. People are getting 2133 @ 10-10-10-28 (or similar) at 1.5v! If I get 1866mhz with tight timings I'll be ecstatic.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 3:22:49 AM

You'll want to read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

If you carefully read the article you'll note that there's basically NO advantage between 1333MHz and 2133MHz for gaming.

At first glance it looks like there are scenarios where it might make a big difference but you need to understand exactly what each chart means.

This sums things up for real-world tests:

"The Cinebench test results are every bit as unimpressive with overclocking as at stock: overclocked or not, faster memory makes no real difference (though the faster CPU clock speed definitely helps a lot)."

*WHY?
Well there's always a bottleneck in a computer. With converting video it's generally the CPU and with gaming it's usually the CPU or the graphics card.
m
l
April 18, 2012 3:52:46 AM

photonboy said:
You'll want to read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

If you carefully read the article you'll note that there's basically NO advantage between 1333MHz and 2133MHz for gaming.

At first glance it looks like there are scenarios where it might make a big difference but you need to understand exactly what each chart means.

This sums things up for real-world tests:

"The Cinebench test results are every bit as unimpressive with overclocking as at stock: overclocked or not, faster memory makes no real difference (though the faster CPU clock speed definitely helps a lot)."

*WHY?
Well there's always a bottleneck in a computer. With converting video it's generally the CPU and with gaming it's usually the CPU or the graphics card.

I'll take a look when I have a few minutes. Thanks.

I noticed they are running at 3.5ghz (3.8ghz turbo). I'm wondering if there would be a difference when looking at a 4.5ghz processor.
m
l
April 24, 2012 2:34:13 AM

Another reason why it doesn't really matter, is the fact that the cpu will pre-fetch 90%-95% of instructions and load it to the L1 cache, before the cpu is ready to process it.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2012 5:40:01 AM

Here's what is going on physically when you run a game:

1. Start game
2. game copies data from the hard drive (or SSD) into the SYSTEM RAM and then runs from there
3. CPU reads the data in the SYSTEM RAM (the game instructions) and executes these instructions

If the RAM was far too slow then the CPU would be left waiting and thus be bottlenecked. If the RAM is already fast enough, then being even faster achieves NOTHING since the CPU is only going to read it at its own rate.

My i7-860 CPU, when paired with an HD5870 graphics card probably uses on average 20% of its processing potential when in a game (with Hyper-threading on).

With hyperthreading on I achieve a 30% improvement when converting Handbrake if I do a task that uses all threads. So I can run all EIGHT THREADS AT 100% @ 4GHz.

So I'm running 1600MHz RAM and the fact that my CPU is hitting 100% means it's not waiting for the RAM!

*The bottom line is that it's difficult to actually find scenarios where the System RAM is too slow, and the slowest RAM is likely to be more than adequate for gaming.
m
l
!