Sign in with
Your question
Solved

LGA2011 Mobo advice for non gamer

Last response: in Motherboards
April 18, 2012 2:31:50 AM

Looking for recommendations on a mobo for a new desktop system.

I don't expect to be gaming. Infrequently I do a screencast with Camtasia. No heavy video production or encoding. Light Photoshop. However, I do web development and have at least an IDE open along with two or three browsers open and many tabs, Excel, etc. I run Virtualbox with Linux guest. Concurrently. Again, while I may end up playing a game at some point, gaming isn't a requirement or priority.

I'm undecided on a few components but here is what I have so far:

i7-3930K
Corsair H100
Windows 7 64 Ultimate
Corsair Obsidian 650D
Intel 520 SSD - system drive (120, 180 or 240gb-haven't decided)
Corsair AX1200 Gold PSU (I know it's overkill)
Corsair Dominator 16 GB (4 x 4 GB Quad Channel) DDR3 2133 MHz (PC3 17000)
LG Blue-Ray/DVD burner
LG DVD burner
3 Samsung Displays
Undecided:
Data drive
Video (Maybe Gigabyte HD6870 or HD6850 )

What I need help in is choosing a mobo. Here are some considerations (looking for 8 memory slots):
Asrock X79 Extreme4
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
ASUS P9X79 DELUXE
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
ASUS P9X79 WS

Based on performance reviews the Asus boards stand out. However their customer support is frequently questioned. The Gigabyte seems to have suffered from heat issues. All of them have DOA complaints. There seems to be no real standout from a user-feedback perspective. All these boards are within budget though the Rampage IV Extreme is on the high end of the budget.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 18, 2012 2:39:30 AM

Asus p9x79 WS. Great board, never had problems with tech support. the Rampage IV is more for extreme overclocking and those extreme stuff :p  (allthough they look beautiful).
April 18, 2012 3:51:41 AM

constepatdyak said:
Asus p9x79 WS. Great board, never had problems with tech support. the Rampage IV is more for extreme overclocking and those extreme stuff :p  (allthough they look beautiful).

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the WS and the Rampage IV were my top 2 choices. I'm curious about what specifically about the WS makes it your choice.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 18, 2012 4:11:47 AM

camber799 said:
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the WS and the Rampage IV were my top 2 choices. I'm curious about what specifically about the WS makes it your choice.

Because the workstation boards are high in quality, dual LAN *which is awesome*, and is tom's hardware approved :D 

"Asus P9X79 WS demonstrated the best performance, overclock and lower power consumption - and offers the highest slot number. P9X79 Deluxe closely follows the WS, but adds some more functions like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and various ports on the USB 3.0 rear panel." -Toms
April 19, 2012 3:56:17 PM

Best answer selected by camber799.
April 19, 2012 3:56:40 PM

Thanks for your input!
April 19, 2012 4:23:13 PM

Just curious too if the features of the deluxe might be useful. For example, i know it can be added but is the onboard bluetooth worth losing, etc.?

Thanks again.
!