Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 and i2500k.. Am I clocking it wrong?

Last response: in CPUs
August 2, 2011 7:30:31 AM

got this combo just a few days ago and it set up extremely well, hit 4.5 Ghz no problem with wunning it at 1666 even with my 1333 7-7-7-18 Patriot 5 RAM.

Well, after a few days of playing games and fooling around, I had to reset and it told me there was a voltage error. I set everyhing back to how it was, now it either hangs at the Windows loading screen or RIGHT befrore entering Windos (it flashes a block BSOD-tpye screen with black letters, then some sorta countdown memory dump ot something).

I've set everything back to default, I'm sure it's not a heat setting, what else could it before? I even tried re-installing Windows and it occured while trying to set it up. Can anyone help? I'm thinking I may need to adjust the volage or something along those lines? I hope the board didn't give out already.
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2011 7:42:39 AM

You should probably short the CMOS battery with a screw driver or something. Please look into this first because I don't want to be blamed for anything. I have resorted to shorting out the CMOS battery and nothing bad has happened.

Refer to this guide to overclock your Sandy Bridge in the future: http://www.overclock.net/intel-general/910467-ultimate-...
m
l
August 2, 2011 8:43:34 AM

Short the CMOS battery? I didn't really see anything on that page about a CMOS battery being shorted, saw some stuff about some other stuff being shorted out.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2011 5:22:17 PM

The link I provided does not mention anything of shorting out the CMOS battery, it's a guide to overclock. This is to reset the bios completely. You pretty much turn off your computer > unplug AC adaoter > open the case > look for cmos battery [usually round with 2 pins around it] > hold metal object on them for a sec or two. That's how I reset my gigabyte 890 when something goes wrong :p  look into it.
m
l
August 2, 2011 5:59:54 PM

You could take the battery out of mobo for a while and allow it to reset.
m
l
August 2, 2011 9:13:38 PM

Oh okay, I was imagining something else entirely. That's exactly how reset my BIOS.
m
l
!