Help me choose a mini-ITX MoBo for...

Hanss

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Hello, :hello:

Help me choose a mini-ITX MoBo for the case DC91 (9U RMC for 16 mini-ITX board).
I wanted something like WADE-8011 (i-C204), but I do not like the location of DIMMs. Very nice new MoBo i-DH61AG, but it will not take Xeon.
Ideally, I want to install Xeon "L".
What is opinion?
Thanks.

Hanss

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
:D Thank you, IH8U!
unfortunately it's a AMD LAN...
unfortunately DIMMs located across the air flow...
There are many AM boards with low-profile so-DIMMs, but I dream about sandy bridge (i3-2100T or E3-12N0L), because the 6-core phenom requires very much power for this case.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
There is an ASUS AM3 board that has the RAM slots above the socket, instead of in front of it (uses laptop RAM btw). However it has no USB3.0, or SATA 6. If this is for an HTPC, the AMD system's onboard graphics destroys the Intel GMA anyday of the week.

Hanss

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
this is for an dedicated servers.

How about the Supermicro X9SCV? It has the DIMM slots on the bottom edge of the board rather than the leading edge (plus the RAM lies flat in the plane of the board as it uses flush-fit laptop SODIMMs), it has two good LAN controllers, and it's made by a very reputable server board maker. It also takes those Sandy Bridge CPUs you love so much, albeit only the laptop versions. The only downside is that it does not support ECC or registered memory. You'll want the Dyantron I2 heatsink for this unit, it's about $20.

Hanss

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

Very interesting product. Thanks You, MU_Engineer.
I studying the available processors. But I am embarrassed by the fact that SMC does not sell motherboards.
Relatively heatsink. Dyantron or Dynatron ? :) I think enough passive heatsink.

Supermicro uses resellers to sell their parts. One UK reseller that carries the X9SCV that popped up in a quick search is Boston Limited.

Relatively heatsink. Dyantron or Dynatron ? :) I think enough passive heatsink.[/quote

It's spelled "Dynatron." That unit I listed is possibly the only heatsink made that is commercially-available that will fit that board. There aren't exactly a lot of non-laptop Socket G/G2 boards out there, and the laptops all use a custom cooling solution designed by the OEM for that particular laptop model.

Hanss

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
My Supermicro reseller sells only the platform.
Today I checked the GA-H67N-USB3 with the I3-2100 and Deepcool S71UA330.
http://inpc.com.ua/data/inpc_products/dc91/d91tray_gaH67N_h2_1000x1000.jpg 5 hours normal flight. Tem. +39 Celsius on board.

The only things that I would be concerned about on that Gigabyte H67 board are the single GbE LAN based on an inferior chipset and that it's a consumer board and not a server board. Realtek's LAN chipsets are inexpensive and have good compatibility with many OSes, but they absolutely suck up CPU cycles when under any significant load. Intel's and Broadcom's LAN controllers are much better, Marvell's are decent too. But they are all more expensive, which is why you rarely see anything besides Realtek on consumer boards. Server boards are designed to be run 24/7 for years, consumer boards are not. You might get lucky and get a consumer board to run for years, but my experience and that of many others says that cramming a consumer board in a hot server and running it for years on end is a good recipe for failure. However, you can buy three of the Gigabyte H67 boards for every Supermicro board, so it's really a tradeoff of uptime vs. cost. The Supermicro server boards will have better uptime, the Gigabyte boards will cost a lot less. I don't know what you are planning to do with this blade enclosure, so price vs. uptime is a decision you will have to make.

Hanss

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I'm not going to use the GA-H67N-USB3, I'm am looking for. I just wanted to check the possibility of cooling the chassis http://inpc.com.ua/data/dc91.html
You are right about the LAN.
But a consumer boards are used in data centers in paradise :) and can live happily ever after. IMHO.

Hanss

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
By the way, I was pleasantly surprised when I learned that the cooler i3-2100T has a lower profile than the standard boxed version and placed in this chassis.
Project's profitability is improving:)