Compaq Presario 2700 bootup problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2005 12:26:05 AM

Hi everyone, I have a Compaq Presario 2700US which is giving me a big
headache. For some reason sometimes it won't boot up. Actually it
just does not turn on the screen but won't work with an external
monitor either. The cdrom starts reading and everything but the
screen... of course it won't get to the OS start up but it does not
freeze... it powers off normally when I press the power button.

I did try the power drain following the these instructions given by HP
technitians with no luck:
1. Disconnect AC power.
2. Disconnect laptop battery.
3. Press power button in the laptop for 20 seconds (or 1 minute).
4. Connect AC power (not battery).
5. Check whether the laptop powers up.

I also tried to clearing the CMOS but nothing changed.

Any ideas?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2005 12:26:06 AM

barbarojo wrote:
> Hi everyone, I have a Compaq Presario 2700US which is giving me a big
> headache. For some reason sometimes it won't boot up. Actually it
> just does not turn on the screen but won't work with an external
> monitor either. The cdrom starts reading and everything but the
> screen... of course it won't get to the OS start up but it does not
> freeze... it powers off normally when I press the power button.
>
> I did try the power drain following the these instructions given by HP
> technitians with no luck:
> 1. Disconnect AC power.
> 2. Disconnect laptop battery.
> 3. Press power button in the laptop for 20 seconds (or 1 minute).
> 4. Connect AC power (not battery).
> 5. Check whether the laptop powers up.
>
> I also tried to clearing the CMOS but nothing changed.
>
> Any ideas?

Is there *any* screen activity - Compaq logo? Can you enter BIOS setup
on screen? If you shine a light onto the screen can you seen anything?
If none of these, it's quite likely a mainboard failure. You might
repost to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq for a second opinion.