Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Router Disconnecting

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
November 15, 2010 2:05:01 AM

Hello,
I have a Linksys WRT54G2 router that disconnects frequently all but one computer. I have in the network two wired computers (one XP the other Win 7) and two wireless laptops plus an Xbox (wired) and an iPod touch. It disconnects all but the wired Windows 7 computer. I use Network Magic to monitor all connections and when I lose the connection it shows that there is no Internet Service coming to the router/network but indeed the Win 7 computer has internet going. It corrects itself after I reboot the router but it happens again at least 4-5 times a day. When I get disconnected I can't even access the router admin page. Does anybody have any advice to correct this?

More about : router disconnecting

November 15, 2010 12:09:38 PM

The title of this topic has been edited by Buwish
m
0
l
November 27, 2010 9:21:33 PM

What does this mean? "The title of this topic has been edited by Buwish"
m
0
l
Related resources
December 1, 2010 7:38:10 AM

pvman said:
What does this mean? "The title of this topic has been edited by Buwish"


One of the Moderators changed the title of the thread. Without knowing what it was, it's hard to say but Kevin will only do that if the title is misleading or doesn't refer to the actual problem. He may have found your two threads contradictory, as did I. Firstly, your router doesn't care about PPPoE - that's only the concern of the MODEM where they are separate pieces of hardware. As to this thread, can you restart the connection within the affected computer and not by restarting the router?

Does the computer's wireless adapter have power options set to save energy?
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 2:41:17 AM

This router does not have "power saving" options and no, I cannot re-establish the connection on any of the computers that get disconnected as I have tried using the repair utility built-in in Windows and also the one on "Network Magic". Only by doing a "power cycle" on the router repairs the connection. The threads refer to the same subject, is just that nobody was writing anything and I tried different ways to try getting the attention of someone.
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 4:37:46 AM


I can think of nothing other than a faulty router. If it says it's not connected to the net but you know otherwise, and if only power clycling it reconnected it or makes it think it has, it has to be a dud. I suppose it could be confused if the cable linking it to the MODEM was the wrong type or flawed in some way.

m
0
l
December 4, 2010 11:25:38 PM

Saga Lout said:

I can think of nothing other than a faulty router. If it says it's not connected to the net but you know otherwise, and if only power clycling it reconnected it or makes it think it has, it has to be a dud. I suppose it could be confused if the cable linking it to the MODEM was the wrong type or flawed in some way.


Thanks Saga, I appreciate the input.
m
0
l
December 5, 2010 11:14:38 AM

pvman said:
This router does not have "power saving" options and no, I cannot re-establish the connection on any of the computers that get disconnected as I have tried using the repair utility built-in in Windows and also the one on "Network Magic". Only by doing a "power cycle" on the router repairs the connection. The threads refer to the same subject, is just that nobody was writing anything and I tried different ways to try getting the attention of someone.


Hi saga lout was referring to the wireless adapters on the computers not the router which seems to be working.

Download inssider to see if neighbours are using same wi-fi channels as lappy's you may need to change it.

Never used network magic but you could try disabling or uninstalling temporarily to see if it is not interfering in any way.
m
0
l
!