FreakOfNature

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
So I have an i5 2400 CPU. I've built the whole rig accept for the GPU. I wanted to try out the integrated graphics, just to see what it would do. So, I started portal 2 in full screen. 5 hours later I quit portal 2 and coretemp starts rapidly cooling down from 72 degrees Celsius. I've used it for 5 days since then and it seems just fine. It runs in the 31 degree range idle. That said, I haven't tried anything heavy. Just League of Legends which runs in the high 40 degree range. Have I ruined my CPU in any way? Is there any way to tell? I'm using the stock fan. Do I need to buy a better one? Even on high load I'm not sure it's ever supposed to get that high.

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
no you have not ruined your cpu, a way to check> does the computer start up? there you go. Go into the bios where the temp or system health is and there will be a setting called smartfan control or similar, disable it, it will run the fan at maximum speed and cool the cpu more

21thx12

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

sounds like u r worried about nothing and i basically agree with dhicks. althoughit doesnt sound like u know enough to get into bios...find the manual for mainboard online or came with board get nerdy w/it and goto town.if u dont care about overclocking and all the arcanum u prob just want to set the fan for auto which maybe on already and save u money.plus i think my integrated grapghics is a whole other chip on the board.u may have similar and likly the manuel tell u.the reason i mention graphics portion is sounds like that is where u are loading down your system anyhow not main processor.also look at the system requirements for the game verses your op system, gpu, and cpu.back of the box or if from steam they will have......