Sign in with
Your question

Help Please? Crossfire 5870s worse performance than single mode?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2011 12:42:26 AM

Mobo: MSI 890fxa-gd70
CPU: Phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz no OC
Memory:8gbs Mushkin 1333 777-24 Lat
GPU: 2 MSI 5870's Stock OC'd
PSU:abc 1100W single rail
Primary HDD: Mushkin 60gb SSD Win 7 Prof
RAID 0 10,000 rpm WD raptors
Eyefinity display setup

So I basically am getting way better perfomance from each card individually than i get with them in crossfire. Using the MSI Afterburner and Kombuster to benchmark. Temps also go way up in CF mode.

any thoughts?
February 28, 2011 2:12:50 AM

You may need to overclock your Cpu , What driver you using ? Have you done clean install of GPU Driver?
m
l
a c 194 U Graphics card
February 28, 2011 2:32:48 AM

Check your performance in games rather than just using Kombuster, if your performance improves or allows you to increase the detail settings higher then its working.

Im rather concerned about the generic PSU it seems you have powering 2 5870s, they dont draw a ton of power so even a crappy 1100W PSU should have enough juice, its just a bit odd.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2011 3:17:56 AM

It helps to know what games you are running, and what OS and driver set too. Crossfire doesn't work on every game, and sometimes when it does work more often then not you will notice it lets you max out the details and res with more solid fps on the game compared to a single card trying to run the game maxed out. Not every performance gain just equals crazy mad fps gains, but instead sometimes means that you get the same or slightly better speed/fps of a single card running the game at a lower res with lower quality settings, but with the ability to also max out the eye candy and res during crossfire mode.

If by chance you have a game like Dirt 2, try maxing its eye candy out at 1920x1080, and run its benchmark in the options screen with both single and crossfire going, and compare the results. You can try benching something like Metro 2033 maxed out also and compare the fps results. A lot of the time I honestly don't see a performance gain on my Crossfire system unless I am running games @ 1920x1080 with all the eye candy on. At lower res and lower details it just doesn't matter, but knocking everything up it starts to scale really well performance wise. Oh yeah, and just wanted to mention, your cpu is def fine for running those cards in Crossfire, you don't need to OC it.
m
l
February 28, 2011 3:23:11 AM

x4 965 @ stock would certainly hold back 5870 CF, my old x4 965 @ 4.0 held back 6870 CF.

Regardless you should see an increase though - I assume you removed and reinstalled drivers and latest CF profiles?
m
l
February 28, 2011 11:09:49 AM

Yes, I actually did a clean install of the whole catalyst suite. I have tried it out in BFbc2 on single card I can run my eyefinity at 5760 x1080p with 2x aa and 2x a. With CF i have to drop to 1x and 1x on 1080p. To avoid any skipping and hiccups.

I have never OC'd i guess i'll learn how. But why would there be a decrease in performance. I also can only play for like30-45 min before it freezes up. Also Temps go way up when using CF.

I'm relatively new to all this so even obvious things would really help. Thanks for all the help so far! I be back on a little later today.
m
l
February 28, 2011 11:13:47 AM

nerdbox-- what is a crossfire profile?

also, I'm not really concerned about the PSU is has almost perfect ratings on newegg and the pwer indicators on the back of the msi 5870's say they are getting full power.
m
l
February 28, 2011 6:09:44 PM

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win...

The bottom item 'ATI Catalyst Application Profiles', they're issued monthly like drivers and basically bring CF capability to new games. Sometimes also resolve issues or improve performance like driver updates.

But yeah the issue you're seeing isn't CPU related if you're not getting any increase with the second card.

Sorry for the silly question but you do have a Crossfire Bridge installed?

What brand and model 6870s / what case? And how bad are the CF temps?
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
February 28, 2011 7:39:31 PM

yeah, even if your cpu bottlenecked, its not going to cause a decrease in performance, you should still see some increase, its not like your running an old pentium 4. And there is eyefinity which would relieve any bottleneck.
Make sure everything is up to date. Update motherboard BIOS and driver's, video card bios (if available) and driver. Crossfire bridge installed? Update windows, update xfire profiles for the games you run. update the games you use. Look at an xfire troubleshooting guide, there are plenty of them if you search.
m
l
February 28, 2011 7:55:08 PM

"yeah, even if your cpu bottlenecked, its not going to cause a decrease in performance, you should still see some increase, its not like your running an old pentium 4. And there is eyefinity which would relieve any bottleneck. "

Wrong. Since each card is supposed to take half the load of the 3D application, if the cards do not get sufficient power such as with this scenario your performance may be significantly worse than a single card that is sufficiently powered. It is certainly possible for him to have everything set up correctly and get lower frames.

If both cards are being used as suggested by the heat (should keep afterburner up and look at the CPU loads during games) and your fps is low then it's obviously your CPU if you're playing a CF capable game.

If this is the case, you can reduce the CPU bottleneck by overclocking it to 4ghz but I doubt any Phenom II X4 is sufficient to power them on air.
m
l
a c 595 U Graphics card
February 28, 2011 8:38:28 PM

Check which drivers you're using. There have been a lot of Crossfire problems with the 11.2 drivers.
m
l
March 1, 2011 1:19:20 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the silly question but you do have a Crossfire Bridge installed?

What brand and model 6870s / what case? And how bad are the CF temps?

They are both installed. i've heard it doesn't matter if there's only one installed, but there's no harm in using two. Is that right?

They are MSI R5870 Lighting series. Though they look different. One was an open box item. They both have the same title on the cooler (Twin Frozr II) but the coolers look different?

The temps have maxed out twice now... in a 60, 000 milisecond benchmark they reach near 72 degrees.

Graphics software from CCC:
Driver Packaging Version 8.821-110126a-112962C-ATI
Catalyst Version 11.2
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1123
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0001
Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0812
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.10524
Catalyst Control Center Version 2011.0126.1749.31909

My case: Cooler Master ATX Full ATCS 840 I am using a Corsair H50 to cool my cpu

Q: how do I get framerates to show up in BC2? Does anyone know if BC2 is a xfire capable game?
m
l
March 1, 2011 1:31:44 AM

Sorry some more Q's:

1.should i test each card inividually just for temps? to see if there is a difference?

(another problem... I just discovered trying to do eyefinity with my original card that one of my DVI ports seem not to be working.) yay! : /

2. Does having two cards mean you use 2gb of Ram from both cards or just the 1g from the primary card?

Thanks
m
l
March 1, 2011 1:38:59 AM

- I've read an article somewhere showing no noticeable difference of using one or two bridges, though I'd suggest using just one

- BC2 certainly is crossfire capable

- 72oC is not hot for a GPU

- You say one card was from an open box sale - have you tried running each card in single mode and comparing performance?? One could be faulty?

- To get framerates install and run FRAPS (works for all games)

- Have you tried any older revisions of the drivers? (though 11.2 is fine for me with CF 6870s)

- Is your issue isolated only to BC2 or Eyefinity mode? Try something more demanding like Crysis if possible in single screen mode and compare single to dual card.
m
l
March 1, 2011 1:41:38 AM

- 2x 1gb cards in xfire / sli still equals 1GB VRAM, each card gobbles up its own

- Yes it would be a good idea to test temps for individual cards for interests sake, do it when you test each cards performance like I suggested before

- Is the card with broken DVI the open box item?
m
l
March 1, 2011 1:46:25 AM

- As for when you have crossfire disabled, and are using the primary card only, the RAM from the secondary card can not be accessed for use by the primary card. Fairly certain lol

(If this was the case though, it would explain why a single card would give better performance than the dual card setup in eyefinity mode -> 2gb effective VRAM would help to prevent the stuttering you're likely seeing)
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
March 1, 2011 6:20:08 AM

minitron815 said:
"yeah, even if your cpu bottlenecked, its not going to cause a decrease in performance, you should still see some increase, its not like your running an old pentium 4. And there is eyefinity which would relieve any bottleneck. "

Wrong. Since each card is supposed to take half the load of the 3D application, if the cards do not get sufficient power such as with this scenario your performance may be significantly worse than a single card that is sufficiently powered. It is certainly possible for him to have everything set up correctly and get lower frames.
You are the one who is wrong, that is impossible to get lower fps with 2 cards just because he doesn't have a 4ghz i7. I have seen your posts on other threads and you are always wrong. Stop talking out your bottom and giving bad advice. That is like saying a core 2 duo 2ghz will get worse performance with a gtx580 than with a gtx460. If a video card is overpowered compared to the cpu it will sit there waiting for information and will only go as fast as the cPU allows, it doesn't "suck" the power from the CPU like you describe and make everything slower.
m
l
!