Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mobo starting point question

Last response: in Motherboards
April 18, 2012 1:50:48 PM

Hi. New member. Putting together only my 2nd pc, so lots of q's. I'll just ask the most important one 1st, which is picking out my mobo, and that should give me a good jump off point to build from there. The PC is mainly for gaming and general pc use. I've seen a lot of info on PCIE 2 and 3, as well as info on SATA 3.0 and 6.0. So far I have 2 vid cards. Both are EVGA GTX 460 768mb PCIE2 Graphics Cards. I'm going to be installing a ssd at some point, so I'd like the fastest connection, which I think is sata 6.0.. I have a Sata 1 T Western Digital HD 7200rpm. I'll be hooking that up SATA 3.0 I'll probably add another one with a 6.0 sata and use my older one for doing backups. I have a pci 7.1 sound card. Antech 900 case. Rosewill 850watt modular psu.

Here's my main question. What boards are you aware of where I can get the biggest advantage out of running my vid cards sli now?. I'd like to get pcie 2.0 x 16 on both slots, not 16 on one and 8 on the other. I saw this posting earlier which had a few models: "Only the 1155 boards with the "NF200" Bridge run dual cards @ x16. Examples would be Gigabyte UD7, Asrock Extreme7 Gen3, Asus Maximus . http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/319582-31-trying-choo...

So I haven't picked out my mobo, processor, ram, ssd, 2nd HDD. I don't want to make a mistake now which I'll regret later. I'm no expert, and I'm not going to spend years researching every bit of pc building, so I'll rely on your experiences/thoughts on picking a mobo, plus if you have any thoughts on what processor to use now, and be able to drop a new one in the mobo in the future if desired. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I can afford a nice mobo and processor if the expensive ones would be best overall. I have a budget of about $1500 max to spend on mobo, processor, ram, ssd, 2nd hdd, misc.

I also know that pcie3 will be the best bet for my next video card at some point, but I got a great deal on these 2 cards and I'm not going to drop 600+ for a pcie3 gpu. I'll get one of those in a year or 2, or 3. So I want to use 2-pcie2 now at full 16 on both and run one or more pcie3 in the future.

So, what mobo would you recommend which I can take full advantage of sli now, have sufficient pcie2.0 and pcie3.0 for now and for a future 3.0 card, would be a good mobo to put a really nice processor in now, and able to accept future processors later, have plenty of SATA3.0 and 6.0 connectors for now and future. Same with usb 2.0 & 3.0. If one or more of this species exists! Any thoughts on processors would be great, but the mobo is where I'm starting right now. I'll be using Windows 7 pro 64bit.

I've tried doing power searches on newegg and it always seems to come up with nothing at some point when I get close to what I'm looking for. And then I read somewhere, "if you have a pcie3 slot, but get a sandy bridge or ivy bridge, it will run only pcie2.0?" I don't want to miss something important like that. Thanks in advance! Eddie

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 18, 2012 3:15:35 PM

With dual GTX 460s you can't use PCIe 3.0. Only get into a gen 3 Z68 or Z77 mobo if you want to future proof (as if that were possible) with an eye for the GTX 600 or AMD 7000 series.

Running the GPUs in 16 X 16 is unnecessary unless you go to a multiple monitor setup. An 8 X 8 PCIe will saturate the graphics channel for a single monitor.

The NF 200 bridge is good for extra bandwidth, but there is also a performance penalty: all the signals are interpolated, thus slowing down performance in some games. I have run accross threads wher gamers are asking how to disable the NF 200 bridge, and the best info is that you can't.

I think that ASRock is the most bang for the buck but the other options are fine choices as well.

BTW I am running dual GTX 470's in SLI on a P67 ASRock Extreme6 and the performance is somewhere between the GTX 580 and GTX 680.
April 19, 2012 8:32:43 AM

Thanks! I'll check those out. I was just looking at the ASUS Sabertooth z77. Looks good, but I'll check some more out also.
Score
Related resources
April 26, 2012 5:05:42 PM

Best answer selected by EddieTripod.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
April 26, 2012 5:16:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!