Virginal system build ;p --- including "to order or to build" question

cs2091

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hello to the most reputable community members in the hardware world!

As title states, i'm about to start my first build ever.

At the same time I would truly appreciate for your looking over the build spec that i've put together using cyberpowerpc's configurator (not necessarily purchase from them), I also have this question:

I've done some intensive search online in the past couple days, which covers the reviews of nearly each components of hardwares, and finally when i finished picking all the components, i came up with this question: to buy it directly from cyberpowerpc or do as 90% of people recommended (yes i searched this topic quite a bit, too) and buy everything from Newegg or other vendors and build it myself.

I see most people's points are that: 1.it's fun; 2.it's not as hard as you would think; 3.you truly get what you chose, i.e., not being fleeced by a builder who use inferior garbage trying to make more money; 4.it's cheaper to purely DIY.

I am not worried about the first two points, because i don't think i am confident that i am able to finally build this thing up if so many people could've done this, maybe a bit work, but I don't mind. As to the fun factor, I can either enjoy building it, or enjoy convenience and such--they are equally important to me.

My only concern is the last two points:

I've searched every single components by google and newegg, and built an excel spreadsheet, and the total came to just about the same, so the price difference is non-existent anymore. However, is it true that these online builders will fleece you off by using bad/defective components? I mean, they cannot use fake ones; they cannot use no-name substitutes, except for memory maybe, because it states “cosair” or major brands; and if they use defective parts, they still gotta exchange them for me, HOPEFULLY...

Do I really NOT get what I chose from them? The major parts are specified in the name and model, i.e., Asus P8P67 Deluxe, GTX570 EVGA superclocked, Level10GT, even the "fake" liquid cooling system from Asetek can be bought from newegg as Cosair H series.

Should I really worry about anything here about "not getting what I really bought" issue?

To clarify, the only factors that's dragging me toward the online builder is the convenience (in a super tight time schedule next couple weeks) and the tidiness of wires inside (read many comments online about their wire job, NOT from their own website). Except for these two reasons, i'm totally comfortable trying to building it by my hands.

I would truly appreciate your insights and professionalism, either about the configuration itself, or the building method.

p.s., i have two HDs now that i'm gonna carry over.

SPECS:

Case: Thermaltake Level 10GT Full Tower Wide Body Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window [+186]
Internal USB Extension Module: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
Noise Reduction Technology: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels [+29]
Power Supply Gasket [+5]
Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
CPU: Intel? Core? i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
Freebies: FREE Game - Shogun 2 Limited Edition Coupon: Total War
FREE! PCI Wireless IEEE 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
Cooling Fan: Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans (Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) [+43]
Motherboard: [CrossFireX/SLI] Asus P8P67 Deluxe Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI, DIGI+VRM, 7.1 HD Audio, BT GO! Dual GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [B3 Stepping] [+123]
Motherboard Expansion Card: None
Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+283] (EVGA Superclocked [+5])
Video Card 2: None
Video Card 3: None
Dedicated PHYSX Card: None
Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
Power Supply Upgrade: * 850 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-850TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+126]
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+33] (Single Hard Drive)
Data Hard Drive: None
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
Optical Drive: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+3] (BLACK COLOR)
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Gaming Gear: Sunbeamtech LAN Party Strap Bag [+15]
Extra Thermal Display: None
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10] (BLACK COLOR)
Power Protection: OPTI-UPS VS575B 575VA/345W Uninterruptible Power Supply [+46]
Surge Protector: None
USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
Operating System: None - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY
Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

I also configure a miniITX on their site for fun, as i was once considering about it as i've been using laptops for 5 years and are really smaller=better, but then i backed out seeing that they only offered H67 instead of P67...

Again, much thanks in advance, lead the newb into your world! :D

G

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Grumpy9117

alan0n

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
As long as you are getting your parts from a reputable dealer (ie: newegg, tigerdirect, and directron are the three best IMO) you wont have any issues with bait and switch tactics on your hardware. Personally, I build my machines myself for two reasons:

1) Time. I can build a machine in an hour where as they take 5 business days to do it.
2) Performance. I know if I built it everything is seated and secured, there isnt ten pounds of thermal compound oozing over the die onto the board.

For work I have had PortaTech build a few barebones machines for me and they have all been fine though. Also a bag of zip ties does wonders for cleaning up the appearance of the cables, if you do decide to do it yourself.

As far as your build, if I were you I would drop the water cooling and go to a noctua 14 series cooler. In my experience they cool better than drop in water cooling and are quieter (believe it or not). Also I question the value of a UPS on a gaming rig. If you want it, be my guess, but I dont use one. Just a good surge protector.

jb6684

Distinguished
Usually the online builders prices is Far higher than what you could buy part & assemble yourself. The quality of the build depends on the builder, so, Who's the builder?

If you go with a builder, get Win 7 64 bit from them installed. You'll pay more for the OS at retail than they'll charge for it installed....... Plus, that way they are selling you a "full computer", and not just a "box of hardware". When it comes to warranty or issues, this will Significantly reduce any finger pointing on whose responsible for fixing.....

(& yes you must re-install any old OS you may have (and all your applications) on your new system you can't just install the old drive in the new system and go... Also, unless you have a full retail version your license won't allow transfer & use on your new hardware

cs2091

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for your reply guys.

@Alan
were you referring to D14 or C14? Looks like there are structural differences, but not by much. However, on newegg (i only searched new egg), it did not specify if it's compatible 1155, only 1156. C14 is compatible with 1155, says newegg. And honestly i have no idea if socket 1155 and 1156 are very different in this case.

@jb6684
Potential builder is cyberpowerpc.com
From much readings, I found it meaningless to ask about the feedback on the enthusiasts forums, because majority of people won't even use a builder, while among small portion of people who did use a builder (assume they're honest instead of being an spam advertiser), it's either love or hate, and no objective reviews seemingly. So i really don't know if i can trust this builder...

Thanks for your tips though. I didn't get OS from them because my school offer us free license so i won't be worrying about the license for another couple of years, hopefully if i'm not dismissed or something lol. And it does save 1 or 2 hundred dollars.

alan0n

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I have the D14 and it holds my i7-2600k cool with a fairly aggressive OC, and I am very happy with the low noise levels.

cs2091

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

Ye, looks like side blower is more preferable.

So how long do you think it'd take a first timer to complete the build assuming all parts needed in hand?

Also, the only thing i worry about building myself is, if i do encounter glitches after i finish the build, what am I left with? Will tracking down the issue and solving it myself be any harder than building the machine itself? Actually, i love to put things together, but hate it when i found that the things i put together does not work after all these works...

Thanks for your input!

alan0n

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Total newbie inside a PC Id say three or four hours, assuming you dont rush and refer to your motherboard manual when you have issues.

If you get it all put together and it doesnt work, generally, you just start pulling it back apart one piece at a time until it works.

I will tell you the most common mistake is forgetting the CPU power cable. Which is an additional power cable into the motherboard aside from the big ATX cable. Usually the connecter is located near the processor seat.

TRENDING THREADS