Slow connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

arges86

Distinguished
I just re-installed Win7 on a new HDD in my PC.
Updated all drivers, ect.
Now, it is sooo slow to connect to the internet (takes about 5 min. for this site to load).
Any other PC connected to the wireless router works just fine.

any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Go to:
Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections
Right click on your network adapter then select Properties
Select Internet Protocol Version 4 then Properties
Set your IP address, subnet mask (set to 255.255.255.0), your gateway address, and your DNS server addresses (I would suggest you use Google's DNS sites of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 if you don't know the DNS for your ISP).
Click OK.

That's it. Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Glad you found a sort of solution. However, if your router ws set to support both B and G connections, that shouldn't have caused a delay like that. If there are ever any hiccups with DHCP, those can really drag down the connection. Using a fixed IP will still help minimize the time. Sounds like you are using a desktop, is that correct? If so, you don't have to worry about changing IPs once set (like with a laptop and using other nets from time to time).

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Go to:
Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections
Right click on your network adapter then select Properties
Select Internet Protocol Version 4 then Properties
Set your IP address, subnet mask (set to 255.255.255.0), your gateway address, and your DNS server addresses (I would suggest you use Google's DNS sites of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 if you don't know the DNS for your ISP).
Click OK.

That's it. Good luck!

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I followed that path exactly when I sent you the message from a Win7 box. You can also get to the same path from your Network icon on your desktop, then Network and Sharing Center, then Change adapter settings. Both work. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.