GTX 460 SC wont go above 40fps

I recently bought a EVGA GTX 460 SC 1gb. When I play WoW I regularly get 25 fps even in very low populated areas. I try Dragon Age: Origins with no AA and still experience some screen tearing/stuttering. I ran a benchmark with Unigine Heaven and it seems despite any Nvidia Control Panel settings I always post no more than 40 fps (with no AA or antisop, and in DX9 mode). Specs:

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core 2.3
Asus M3A78 Motherboard
Xigmatek 650W PSU (4x12V rails at combined 72A)
4gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM

Is my CPU bottlenecking and killing my fps? I read other posts of people running game settings on ultra with this card and getting a solid 60 fps or more. If anyone could help me figure out this problem I would be very grateful!
5 answers Last reply
More about wont 40fps
  1. AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core 2.3 < crappity crap.

DA:O is CPU intensive; DX11 might help but not much.
  2. U R being bottle-necked by your processor. It is a slow processor by today's standards . A phenom2 965 / i5 750 is minimum to pair up with your 460.
  3. Thanks, I was suspicious that the CPU was probably it...

also ty for the other CPU suggestions! :)
  4. Yup, it's the CPU. Since you have the 9600, and not the 9650, go into the BIOS and disable the TLB fix for some extra performance. If you have a decent CPU cooler then overclock the CPU. A decent 20% overclock and turning off the bug fix should give you a noticeable improvement until you can replace your CPU.

Looking at the CPU support page it seems that your board should be compatible with most AM2/AM2+/AM3 CPUs including the X6 models. It seems there are a few exceptions on a few CPUs depending on the PCB version of your board. Even so, I would recommend a Phenom IIX4 955 C3 as it's a good value and compatible with all PCB versions of that board as long as you update the BIOS first. That CPU also overclocks pretty well for some extra performance.
  5. Thanks very much for your suggestions! I disabled TLB and saw a decent improvement, and am probably going to purchase the AMD Phenom II 1090T Six core @3.2 as an upgrade. Most places don't even sell my current CPU anymore :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gtx World Of Warcraft FPS Graphics