Sign in with
Your question

Dell Dimension E510 power but no boot

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2011 4:33:19 PM

I would breadboard if I could hook up an internal speaker, but the proprietary motherboard uses something like an IDE cable to hookup the LEDs and power switch. I see no point in it if I can't hear beeps.

So I keep everything in the case (I take out the pci and pci-e cards) and unhook everything but the main PSU connector, 4pin CPU connector and the CPU fan I also keep the IDE looking cable that runs to the power switch board plugged in. I plug in the power cord and my PSU fans run and the CPU fan runs full force, im talking it is all out and sounds like a jet engine. The power button the the front isn't lit up. But the light on the motherboard is on.

I need some suggestions here. Dell makes stuff hard to diagnose and for something that could easily be diagnosed on a normal computer can be a total mystery case to a dell computer it seems.
May 7, 2011 4:33:50 PM

you should leave your graphics card in because IIRC the bios on the dell at work had to be manually set to pci-e to get it to use the card... taking the card out goes in the opposite direction but could yield the same result.

is there any way you can get the speaker hooked up even if you have to pull the pins out of the shunt and manually attach them to the pins on the board? The beep codes are very helpful in situations like this.
m
l
May 7, 2011 5:45:22 PM

shin0bi272 said:
you should leave your graphics card in because IIRC the bios on the dell at work had to be manually set to pci-e to get it to use the card... taking the card out goes in the opposite direction but could yield the same result.

I have tried it with and without. Almost every possible configuration i've tried.

shin0bi272 said:
is there any way you can get the speaker hooked up even if you have to pull the pins out of the shunt and manually attach them to the pins on the board? The beep codes are very helpful in situations like this.

I'm not really sure what your talking about.

The weird thing is that I have heard beeps on this computer before but they don't sound like its coming from a speaker.
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2011 6:51:46 PM

Evan20x said:

The weird thing is that I have heard beeps on this computer before but they don't sound like its coming from a speaker.

The beeper is on the board, just to the left of the fan connector.

Dell does provide for some diagnostics, those 4 little lights, known as Diagnostic Lights and the powerbutton led can be helpful.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/e...

m
l
May 7, 2011 9:30:29 PM

delluser1 said:
The beeper is on the board, just to the left of the fan connector.

Dell does provide for some diagnostics, those 4 little lights, known as Diagnostic Lights and the powerbutton led can be helpful.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/e...

There is no beeps, the front panel powerbutton does nothing and doesn't light up. I can press the power button on the front and nothing happens, I hold it and nothing happens. Nothing on the front panel lights up. I can plug in my phone charger to the USB ports located on the front panel and my phone will charge.
m
l
May 13, 2011 4:23:21 AM

Bump
Up
My
:) 
m
l
!