vista 64 bit CPU with a 32 bit operating system?

Hello, my Dell Optiplex 360 has an Intel E7200 64 bit cpu with 4gb ram the OS is Vista business 32bit.only now after discovering this 18 months after purchase I have been always avoiding programmes and downloads which have been in 64 bit, does that mean some of the very minor glitches I experience is due to this? thanks for the informatives posts, I recon from now on I will download either 32 or 64 bit downloads is that correct?
7 answers Last reply
More about vista operating system
  1. No. All X86 CPU's these days have a 64-bit mode of execution, but also contain the 32-bit protected mode needed to run in 32-bit mode. Likewise, the old 8086 16-bit Real mode still exists in every X86 processor.

And no, you can't run 64-bit programs while in 32-bit mode.
  2. matross said:
    Hello, my Dell Optiplex 360 has an Intel E7200 64 bit cpu with 4gb ram the OS is Vista business 32bit.only now after discovering this 18 months after purchase I have been always avoiding programmes and downloads which have been in 64 bit, does that mean some of the very minor glitches I experience is due to this? thanks for the informatives posts, I recon from now on I will download either 32 or 64 bit downloads is that correct?

Adendum : Does that now mean I can safely download drivers, and programmes in 64 bits?
  3. No. The OS is 32 bits, and can't process any 64-bit programs/drivers/etc.
  4. You can download 64-bit programs and drivers, but you will not be able to install them in a 32-bit operating system.

If you want to use 64-bit programs then you must install a 64-bit operating system.
  5. 4gb ram limit on 32-bit OS, but on 64-bit you can have much higher
  6. ^^^

While that is true it doesn't really answer the OP's question. Which seems to be about running 64-bit programs in a 32-bit OS.
  7. Basically, you can run 32 bit programs in a 64 bit os but not 64 bit on a 32 bit os.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows Vista