Sign in with
Your question

$1400 Gaming/Game Development build

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2011 5:52:25 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 weeks

Budget Range: $1400 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming/game development(3ds max, Modo, zbrush, photoshop, UDK, Unity), Visual Studio 2010

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, speakers, mechanical hard drives, BD-ROM, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: Intel, NVIDIA, Sandforce based SSDs

Overclocking: Yes

SLI: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I'm not concerned about having a modular supply or any features of Z68 chipset

Case
Antec 300

PSU
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750

Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 PRO

CPU
Intel Core i7-2600K

Heatsink
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

RAM
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)

GPU SLI
PNY VCGGTX560TXPB GeForce GTX 560 Ti (SLI)

SSD
OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB

$1,344.88 (Newegg prices only, before rebates)

My first question is whether I will have any trouble fitting these parts into the 300 case. Will the case accommodate 3 3.5" drives as well as the SSD along with SLI'd 560's? Will the Hyper 212 Plus clear the RAM and the side of the case? I'm into simple designs rather than more elaborate cases, but if I will have trouble with temperatures inside the case or clearances, would the NZXT H2 work better? Will the 750TX have enough amperage and wattage to power this, or should I go with the 850? I have had good luck with PNY brand GPU's in the past, but is there another brand I should look into? Thanks for any help you can offer.
May 5, 2011 6:02:41 PM

I can’t see any problems that may come up in this system. Everything from the Intel® Core™ I5 2500K to the power supply Corsair power supply looks like they will go in well and without any problems, even the SSD is coming with a 2.5 to 3.5 conversion kit for mounting the drive in a normal hard drive slot. It looks like it is going to be a fun system. And yes you have enough power from the 750TX.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
May 5, 2011 7:21:13 PM

A big fat no to that case with those components...seriously
Related resources
May 5, 2011 7:51:24 PM

AstroTC said:
A big fat no to that case with those components...seriously

Why? Is is because of compatibility or because it's a cheap boring case? If it's the latter, I really don't mind. If it's the former, would you mind providing details?
May 5, 2011 9:38:14 PM

theoutbound said:
Why? Is is because of compatibility or because it's a cheap boring case? If it's the latter, I really don't mind. If it's the former, would you mind providing details?

I believe size is what he was referring to. The 300 isn't all that large of a case for dual cards and a decent size cpu h/s.
May 6, 2011 9:36:35 AM

Why_Me said:
I believe size is what he was referring to. The 300 isn't all that large of a case for dual cards and a decent size cpu h/s.

Ah, ok. Any opinions on the NZXT H2?
May 6, 2011 2:27:30 PM

Are you saying you are going to SLI out of the gate? I would recommend buying a single, more powerful GPU with the same money. I would much rather have a 580 then 2x 560. Why? IF I decided I needed more firepower down the road I would just pick up another 580; yes a lot of money, but I wouldn't have to deal with selling two older GPUs and picking up a whole new GPU solution.

Just my $0.02.
!