XP Compatibility

I'm planning on my first build. Looking at AMD Phenom Quad or Intel i5. I'm hoping to set it up to dual boot Win7/XP. I've heard some new CPU's and/or Mobos may not be XP compatible. Is this true? What do I need to look for to be sure I can dual boot with my new system? THANKS for your help!! J
5 answers Last reply
More about compatibility
  1. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

Run many Windows XP business programs in Windows XP Mode (separate download)
  2. I've seen nothing to suggest that XP won't work on newer architectures. So I'm inclined to say it's fine.

I think Why_Me is suggesting that you just run 7 by itself. I'm sure there are also plenty of businesses running XP on new hardware because that's what their IT department has tried and tested with all the programs they need to use.
  3. Thanks for your replies! So to make sure I understand: Hardware Asssisted Virtualization (HAV) only applies to running XP within Win7, but any new system should be able to run either OS independently?
  4. Yeah I don't think HAV comes into play if you are using a full XP installation rather than XP emulation in Windows 7.

A XP / Windows 7 dual boot should work fine on modern hardware.
  5. THANKS!!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Dual Boot Compatibility Windows XP Systems