Motherboard Memory Compatibility

hoppingpulse

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Looking at the qualified vendors list for the new Asus Z77 board I am going to buy I have found that my G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8Q-16GBZH is not on the list. However there are many other G. Skill ram types on the list as well as two other G. Skill 16gb 4x4 1600 ram. And the ram I am buying says it is compatible with LGA 1155 2nd and 3rd gen processors. Should I worry about this and switch ram to a supported type or should mine most likely work fine? Thanks.

Solution
The memory kit you have will work just fine.

When finding memory for a motherboard, rather than looking on the QVL from motherboard manufacturer's list, you should look at the QML from the memory manufacturer. Memory is released for platforms after motherboards are released, so you may not find current memory on QVL lists. QML is released after the memory has been thoroughly tested on the new platform/motherboards, so that list should guarantee no issues with newly designed memory. Recently, some mobo manufacturers have been working closer with memory manufacturers to get new memory on QVL lists. Hopefully the gap will be closer soon so it is easier for the buyer. :)

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT
The memory kit you have will work just fine.

When finding memory for a motherboard, rather than looking on the QVL from motherboard manufacturer's list, you should look at the QML from the memory manufacturer. Memory is released for platforms after motherboards are released, so you may not find current memory on QVL lists. QML is released after the memory has been thoroughly tested on the new platform/motherboards, so that list should guarantee no issues with newly designed memory. Recently, some mobo manufacturers have been working closer with memory manufacturers to get new memory on QVL lists. Hopefully the gap will be closer soon so it is easier for the buyer. :)

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Solution