Psu or gpu memory?OR?

deeprty

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Hi folks i self built my system a few years ago(about 5?) with the help of some lovely people on this forum and all was well , well until now.

SYSTEM
OS. win7,winxp
MB. GIGABYTE 9659-DS3
CPU. intel 6600
GPU. bfg 8800gts 320mb
PSU. corsair hx520w
RAM. 2X CORSAIR XMS2 CM2X512-6400C4
2X CORSAIR XMS2 CM2X1024-6400C4

when watching videos i started getting a display driver error on win7 which would recover but it slowly got worse over time , after reading a bit i decided to try solve it.

What i did,
1 stripped the pc down and cleaned everything then rebuilt -result same
2 installed winxp - result same but BSOD included
3 in xp i removed everything except 1 hardrive and gpu - result same

i'll just skip to where i'm at now

win xp installed MSI afterburner installed everst installed furmark installed all new drivers installed ,

temps are fine i think never seen it above 75 but i havn't stressed for more than 10 mins.

using after burner i under clocked my card memory to 675mhz and everything is working no bsod plus all videos look better ie. i'm not getting blue and red bits .
still with afterburner i cranked the fan down to see if my problems came back and they didn't

does this point to the memory or could the psu failing cause this also?
Also i am an idiot and havn't tried older drivers but thought that with the discovery of my gpu memory underclock solving the issue i may be ok

From the fact that you have an 8800, I would point to the video card as the cause of th eissues. It seems to have a high rate of failure. If you look at the posts on the graphics forum, a great deal of "my card is not working right" posts come from 8800 owners.

Find a used 9800GT or something, should be about $40-50.

darkphox

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I second Hang-the-9 here, if you are getting "blue and red bits" it sounds like your graphics card is at the touching cloth stage of poo-ing itself

The first thing you can try is use different card, if the problem goes away then you can blame your 8800GTS for your trouble...

Or you can try use only 1 stick of RAM and do the same with the other one, that's for BSOD problem.

deeprty

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
OK CHEERS FOLKS

i have read that the 8800's are having problems AND bfg 1's seem worse(they are bust now aint they?)

i'm now back on win7 i have underclocked my card and everything is working as intended no red bits or even blue bits lol
and no driver errors (so far) and i have tried to induce it

i can't test another card as i dont have 1 and can't get 1 but you guess that the card is what needs replacing not the psu so hopefully it will last until i get some cash together