PAL Version Question

Hi All,

I just got a Success-hk newsletter and it lists a bunch of games as PAL
version. What does PAL mean?

Thanks.
Wendy
--
Wendy
remove the ferret to email me

    Maeven wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just got a Success-hk newsletter and it lists a bunch of games as PAL
    > version. What does PAL mean?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Wendy

    PAL stands for Phase Alternation Lines (625 lines) and offers more
    picture detail and wider luminance (color signal) bandwidth. PAL has
    been adopted by almost all 50 Hz countries in the world.

    It's basically the European/Australian TV standard, the USA uses NTSC

    NTSC stands for National Television Standard Committee which established
    the American TV broadcast TV standard as a 525 line broadcast. The NTSC
    system has higher frame rate (60 Hz) which reduces visible flicker and
    picture noise.

    There's also the less-popular SECAM

    SECAM stands for SEquential Couleur Avec Memoire and is used in France
    and many eastern European countries. The Secam system also has 625 lines
    and offers good picture detail and stable hues.

    More details here: http://www.psreporter.com/pal_system_tv_standard.html

    Vitani wrote:
    > Maeven wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I just got a Success-hk newsletter and it lists a bunch of games as
    >> PAL version. What does PAL mean?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> Wendy
    >

    > PAL stands for Phase Alternation Lines (625 lines) and offers more
    > picture detail and wider luminance (color signal) bandwidth. PAL has
    > been adopted by almost all 50 Hz countries in the world.
    >
    > It's basically the European/Australian TV standard, the USA uses NTSC
    >
    > NTSC stands for National Television Standard Committee which established
    > the American TV broadcast TV standard as a 525 line broadcast. The NTSC
    > system has higher frame rate (60 Hz) which reduces visible flicker and
    > picture noise.
    >
    > There's also the less-popular SECAM
    >
    > SECAM stands for SEquential Couleur Avec Memoire and is used in France
    > and many eastern European countries. The Secam system also has 625 lines
    > and offers good picture detail and stable hues.
    >
    > More details here: http://www.psreporter.com/pal_system_tv_standard.html

    Wow, thanks for the very nice description. So does a US Playstation 2
    support the PAL disc?

    --
    Wendy
    remove the ferret to email

    Maeven wrote:

    > Vitani wrote:
    >
    >> Maeven wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I just got a Success-hk newsletter and it lists a bunch of games as
    >>> PAL version. What does PAL mean?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> Wendy
    >>

    >> PAL stands for Phase Alternation Lines (625 lines) and offers more
    >> picture detail and wider luminance (color signal) bandwidth. PAL has
    >> been adopted by almost all 50 Hz countries in the world.
    >>
    >> It's basically the European/Australian TV standard, the USA uses NTSC
    >>
    >> NTSC stands for National Television Standard Committee which
    >> established the American TV broadcast TV standard as a 525 line
    >> broadcast. The NTSC system has higher frame rate (60 Hz) which reduces
    >> visible flicker and picture noise.
    >>
    >> There's also the less-popular SECAM
    >>
    >> SECAM stands for SEquential Couleur Avec Memoire and is used in France
    >> and many eastern European countries. The Secam system also has 625
    >> lines and offers good picture detail and stable hues.
    >>
    >> More details here: http://www.psreporter.com/pal_system_tv_standard.html
    >

    > Wow, thanks for the very nice description. So does a US Playstation 2
    > support the PAL disc?

    The basic answer is "No it wont".

    The real answer is "you can get you PS2 chipped, so that it can",
    however you will need a TV that accepts the PAL signal, otherwise it
    will be in black & white, and the refresh rate will be wrong

    "Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message
    > Maeven wrote:
    >
    > > Wow, thanks for the very nice description. So does a US Playstation 2
    > > support the PAL disc?
    > >

    > The basic answer is "No it wont".
    >
    > The real answer is "you can get you PS2 chipped, so that it can",
    > however you will need a TV that accepts the PAL signal, otherwise it
    > will be in black & white, and the refresh rate will be wrong

    And here's me thinking this is a GBA NG!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    In article <c9286o$7u8$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>, terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com
    says...

    > "Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message
    > > Maeven wrote:
    > >
    > > > Wow, thanks for the very nice description. So does a US Playstation 2
    > > > support the PAL disc?
    > > >

    > > The basic answer is "No it wont".
    > >
    > > The real answer is "you can get you PS2 chipped, so that it can",
    > > however you will need a TV that accepts the PAL signal, otherwise it
    > > will be in black & white, and the refresh rate will be wrong
    >
    > And here's me thinking this is a GBA NG!

    Well, what about the PAL GBA?

    :)

    -- Bob
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    BlackKnight wrote:

    > "Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message
    >
    >>Maeven wrote:
    >>

    >>>Wow, thanks for the very nice description. So does a US Playstation 2
    >>>support the PAL disc?
    >>>

    >>The basic answer is "No it wont".
    >>
    >>The real answer is "you can get you PS2 chipped, so that it can",
    >>however you will need a TV that accepts the PAL signal, otherwise it
    >>will be in black & white, and the refresh rate will be wrong
    >

    > And here's me thinking this is a GBA NG!

    *attempting to make it GBA-Related*

    Of course GBA's don't use TVs, so it doesn't matter if you buy UK games
    for a US GBA, as they will work with no trouble!
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Odd Bob" <odd_bob@odd.bob> schreef in bericht
    > In article <c9286o$7u8$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>, terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com
    > says...
    > >
    > > "Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message

    > > > The basic answer is "No it wont".
    > > >
    > > > The real answer is "you can get you PS2 chipped, so that it can",
    > > > however you will need a TV that accepts the PAL signal, otherwise it
    > > > will be in black & white, and the refresh rate will be wrong
    > >
    > > And here's me thinking this is a GBA NG!
    > >

    > Well, what about the PAL GBA?
    >
    > :)
    >
    > -- Bob

    Doesn't excist. All GBA's are the same, only difference in the regions are
    the recharger adapters, because of difference in plugs/pins.

Console Gaming Games Gameboy Video Nintendo Video Games