PAL Version Question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 25, 2004 6:59:15 PM

Hi All,

I just got a Success-hk newsletter and it lists a bunch of games as PAL
version. What does PAL mean?

Thanks.
Wendy
--
Wendy
remove the ferret to email me

More about : pal version question

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 2:00:07 PM

Maeven wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just got a Success-hk newsletter and it lists a bunch of games as PAL
> version. What does PAL mean?
>
> Thanks.
> Wendy

PAL stands for Phase Alternation Lines (625 lines) and offers more
picture detail and wider luminance (color signal) bandwidth. PAL has
been adopted by almost all 50 Hz countries in the world.

It's basically the European/Australian TV standard, the USA uses NTSC

NTSC stands for National Television Standard Committee which established
the American TV broadcast TV standard as a 525 line broadcast. The NTSC
system has higher frame rate (60 Hz) which reduces visible flicker and
picture noise.

There's also the less-popular SECAM

SECAM stands for SEquential Couleur Avec Memoire and is used in France
and many eastern European countries. The Secam system also has 625 lines
and offers good picture detail and stable hues.

More details here: http://www.psreporter.com/pal_system_tv_standard.html
May 26, 2004 2:00:08 PM

Vitani wrote:
> Maeven wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just got a Success-hk newsletter and it lists a bunch of games as
>> PAL version. What does PAL mean?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Wendy
>

> PAL stands for Phase Alternation Lines (625 lines) and offers more
> picture detail and wider luminance (color signal) bandwidth. PAL has
> been adopted by almost all 50 Hz countries in the world.
>
> It's basically the European/Australian TV standard, the USA uses NTSC
>
> NTSC stands for National Television Standard Committee which established
> the American TV broadcast TV standard as a 525 line broadcast. The NTSC
> system has higher frame rate (60 Hz) which reduces visible flicker and
> picture noise.
>
> There's also the less-popular SECAM
>
> SECAM stands for SEquential Couleur Avec Memoire and is used in France
> and many eastern European countries. The Secam system also has 625 lines
> and offers good picture detail and stable hues.
>
> More details here: http://www.psreporter.com/pal_system_tv_standard.html

Wow, thanks for the very nice description. So does a US Playstation 2
support the PAL disc?

--
Wendy
remove the ferret to email

Maeven wrote:

> Vitani wrote:
>
>> Maeven wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I just got a Success-hk newsletter and it lists a bunch of games as
>>> PAL version. What does PAL mean?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Wendy
>>

>> PAL stands for Phase Alternation Lines (625 lines) and offers more
>> picture detail and wider luminance (color signal) bandwidth. PAL has
>> been adopted by almost all 50 Hz countries in the world.
>>
>> It's basically the European/Australian TV standard, the USA uses NTSC
>>
>> NTSC stands for National Television Standard Committee which
>> established the American TV broadcast TV standard as a 525 line
>> broadcast. The NTSC system has higher frame rate (60 Hz) which reduces
>> visible flicker and picture noise.
>>
>> There's also the less-popular SECAM
>>
>> SECAM stands for SEquential Couleur Avec Memoire and is used in France
>> and many eastern European countries. The Secam system also has 625
>> lines and offers good picture detail and stable hues.
>>
>> More details here: http://www.psreporter.com/pal_system_tv_standard.html
>

> Wow, thanks for the very nice description. So does a US Playstation 2
> support the PAL disc?

The basic answer is "No it wont".

The real answer is "you can get you PS2 chipped, so that it can",
however you will need a TV that accepts the PAL signal, otherwise it
will be in black & white, and the refresh rate will be wrong
May 26, 2004 7:05:10 PM

"Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message
> Maeven wrote:
>
> > Wow, thanks for the very nice description. So does a US Playstation 2
> > support the PAL disc?
> >

> The basic answer is "No it wont".
>
> The real answer is "you can get you PS2 chipped, so that it can",
> however you will need a TV that accepts the PAL signal, otherwise it
> will be in black & white, and the refresh rate will be wrong

And here's me thinking this is a GBA NG!
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 7:05:59 PM

In article <c9286o$7u8$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>, terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com
says...

> "Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message
> > Maeven wrote:
> >
> > > Wow, thanks for the very nice description. So does a US Playstation 2
> > > support the PAL disc?
> > >

> > The basic answer is "No it wont".
> >
> > The real answer is "you can get you PS2 chipped, so that it can",
> > however you will need a TV that accepts the PAL signal, otherwise it
> > will be in black & white, and the refresh rate will be wrong
>
> And here's me thinking this is a GBA NG!

Well, what about the PAL GBA?

:)

-- Bob
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 7:58:48 PM

BlackKnight wrote:

> "Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message
>
>>Maeven wrote:
>>

>>>Wow, thanks for the very nice description. So does a US Playstation 2
>>>support the PAL disc?
>>>

>>The basic answer is "No it wont".
>>
>>The real answer is "you can get you PS2 chipped, so that it can",
>>however you will need a TV that accepts the PAL signal, otherwise it
>>will be in black & white, and the refresh rate will be wrong
>

> And here's me thinking this is a GBA NG!

*attempting to make it GBA-Related*

Of course GBA's don't use TVs, so it doesn't matter if you buy UK games
for a US GBA, as they will work with no trouble!
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 8:19:26 PM

"Odd Bob" <odd_bob@odd.bob> schreef in bericht
> In article <c9286o$7u8$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>, terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com
> says...
> >
> > "Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message

> > > The basic answer is "No it wont".
> > >
> > > The real answer is "you can get you PS2 chipped, so that it can",
> > > however you will need a TV that accepts the PAL signal, otherwise it
> > > will be in black & white, and the refresh rate will be wrong
> >
> > And here's me thinking this is a GBA NG!
> >

> Well, what about the PAL GBA?
>
> :)
>
> -- Bob

Doesn't excist. All GBA's are the same, only difference in the regions are
the recharger adapters, because of difference in plugs/pins.
!