Ultra-Small Laptop??

Hi

I currently use my trusty ThinkPad 600E while on the road for email and as a backup
storage & display for my digital camera pictures,, but I am growing tired of lugging the
TP and it's associated goodies around..

We plan a couple overseas trips this year, one to a wedding in Scotland,, plan to take
bunches of pictures and want reliable back-up.

I started looking into one of the portable units that are dedicated to digital storage but
quickly found that my requirement to VIEW my pictures blew away any coats targets..

My thoughts have turned to looking for ultra-small laptop's as a compromise,, and selling
my 600e.

I would like something similar to the 600e shrunk to about 2 lbs.. I don't need a diskette
or cd burner as I can move pictures via a USB port & a 1gb SD card. The drive maybe 20gb??
it would be nice to get USB v.2.0, and run XP, display could be as small as they come, but
support at least 600x800, 56k modem yes, wireless no,, at least one PC/CIA port,, what did
I forget??

OH,, and I typically run off the AC brick,, so a machine that can run with-out the battery
installed,, saves weight..

What brand/models should I look for?? I'm trying to keep the price to around 400$US? Don't
laugh,, I can be happy with a P2 or P3 running well under 1 GHz..

Is there a ultra that is as stable, common, & loved as the TP 600 series??

Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head
In The Conch Republic
Just South of Reality
14 answers Last reply
More about ultra small laptop

    <jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I currently use my trusty ThinkPad 600E while on the road for email and as
    a backup
    > storage & display for my digital camera pictures,, but I am growing tired
    of lugging the
    > TP and it's associated goodies around..
    >
    > We plan a couple overseas trips this year, one to a wedding in Scotland,,
    plan to take
    > bunches of pictures and want reliable back-up.
    >
    > I started looking into one of the portable units that are dedicated to
    digital storage but
    > quickly found that my requirement to VIEW my pictures blew away any coats
    targets..

    > My thoughts have turned to looking for ultra-small laptop's as a
    compromise,, and selling
    > my 600e.
    >
    > I would like something similar to the 600e shrunk to about 2 lbs.. I don't
    need a diskette
    > or cd burner as I can move pictures via a USB port & a 1gb SD card. The
    drive maybe 20gb??
    > it would be nice to get USB v.2.0, and run XP, display could be as small
    as they come, but
    > support at least 600x800, 56k modem yes, wireless no,, at least one PC/CIA
    port,, what did
    > I forget??
    >
    > OH,, and I typically run off the AC brick,, so a machine that can run
    with-out the battery
    > installed,, saves weight..
    >
    > What brand/models should I look for?? I'm trying to keep the price to
    around 400$US? Don't
    > laugh,, I can be happy with a P2 or P3 running well under 1 GHz..
    >
    > Is there a ultra that is as stable, common, & loved as the TP 600 series??

    You might want to have a gander at the Fujitsu Stylistic pen computers. You
    can't get much smaller than these without much cost and/or hassle, and still
    run a modern operating system.

    I have the Stylistic 3400, upgraded to an 80gig hard drive and Windows 2000.
    You can use it without a keyboard, mouse, and all the other stuff that adds
    weight and bulk. It's perfect for viewing pictures, fairly rugged, and
    light enough to allow you to carry it strapped over your arm. It's got a
    Pentium III 400, which is surprisingly fast if you don't load endless
    amounts of stuff in it. I load Office XP, utilities for maps, MP3 players,
    and a software DVD player so I can watch movies stored on the hard drive.
    It's only got a USB 1.1 port, but it does have a PCMCIA slot (type II). You
    could actually carry it with you and store pictures on the fly, which is one
    of the reasons I bought it.

    You can check out the package at www.jksalesinc.com, a company where I've
    been getting my gear since I bought my first Stylistic 500, several years
    ago when he was on Ebay. They've got an even smaller package with the
    Stylistic LT 500 I've been eyeballing.

    Other than that, the Fujitsu P Series are pretty nice fairly normal laptops,
    and very small in size, but they cost quite a bit over $400.

    Pagan

    This isn't a Win notebook suggestion but if you want to keep the TP then you
    might want to consider a used 12" Apple ibook. You can get the
    500mhz-800mhz pretty cheap on ebay these days. The compatibility is there,
    they're small and with OS X very stable. I have Windows and Macs in my
    house and I often swap things between them and prefer to use my little ibook
    for travel. I never have any problems.

    --
    Tara

    jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I currently use my trusty ThinkPad 600E while on the road for email and as a backup
    > storage & display for my digital camera pictures,, but I am growing tired of lugging the
    > TP and it's associated goodies around..
    >
    > We plan a couple overseas trips this year, one to a wedding in Scotland,, plan to take
    > bunches of pictures and want reliable back-up.
    >
    > I started looking into one of the portable units that are dedicated to digital storage but
    > quickly found that my requirement to VIEW my pictures blew away any coats targets..
    >
    > My thoughts have turned to looking for ultra-small laptop's as a compromise,, and selling
    > my 600e.
    >
    > I would like something similar to the 600e shrunk to about 2 lbs.. I don't need a diskette
    > or cd burner as I can move pictures via a USB port & a 1gb SD card. The drive maybe 20gb??
    > it would be nice to get USB v.2.0, and run XP, display could be as small as they come, but
    > support at least 600x800, 56k modem yes, wireless no,, at least one PC/CIA port,, what did
    > I forget??
    >
    > OH,, and I typically run off the AC brick,, so a machine that can run with-out the battery
    > installed,, saves weight..
    >
    > What brand/models should I look for?? I'm trying to keep the price to around 400$US? Don't
    > laugh,, I can be happy with a P2 or P3 running well under 1 GHz..
    >
    > Is there a ultra that is as stable, common, & loved as the TP 600 series??
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jim
    > An Old Parrot Head
    > In The Conch Republic
    > Just South of Reality

    If you are used to the 600 quality, the Toshibas might dissapoint you.
    If I were you, I'd look at the IBM X20 series. Probably the best buy is
    the X23, which uses a PIII-M 866, has PCMCIA and CF ports,
    Ethernet/modem, and you can install any 2.5" drive on the market (up to
    100gb). Some models even come with wireless/bluetooth but they are
    usually more expensive. The only thing you dont get is USB 2.0 (it has
    1.1) but since it has a PCMCIA port I assume this is not a problem. Oh,
    and a lovely 12.1" 1024x768 monitor. Finally, there is a cheap docking
    station (called the ultrabase X2), that gives you an optical drive,
    stereo speakers, a port replicator and some other extra stuff.

    If you see it going over your budget, go for the lower-spec (actually
    only processor and chipset changes) X20, which runs up to P3-600 I believe.

    Then again, if you want something really small, look at the 240X which
    comes with a P3-500 and 10.4 SVGA screen, but I wouldn't recommend it
    over the X2x.

    Hope this helps
    Stavros

    To All:

    Thank you for the info,,

    I probably should not have said anything about a budget and just asked for OLD model(s)..
    In looking at the offerings on eBay, the prices are fair and very close to my estimates.
    In fact the old 600E is still selling well and if I find a replacement, should still fetch
    a couple paso's..

    So far I have these models as suggestions: ThinkPad's: 570, X31, 570x, 570e, x21, x20,
    x22, x23, 240, 240X and these OEM's: Toshiba Portege 3440, 3480 or 3490,, Fujitsu
    Stylistic pen computers,,Fujitsu P Series,, Apple ibook,, Compaq M300 series,, Sony
    Picturebook

    I will probably find a TP,, maybe one of the X2.. series,, see'n as I am a retired BM'er,,
    although I have always wanted to play William Tell..

    Thanks
    Jim

    An Old Parrot Head
    In The Conch Republic
    Just South of Reality

    jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > To All:
    >
    > Thank you for the info,,
    >
    > I probably should not have said anything about a budget and just asked for OLD model(s)..
    > In looking at the offerings on eBay, the prices are fair and very close to my estimates.
    > In fact the old 600E is still selling well and if I find a replacement, should still fetch
    > a couple paso's..
    >
    > So far I have these models as suggestions: ThinkPad's: 570, X31, 570x, 570e, x21, x20,
    > x22, x23, 240, 240X and these OEM's: Toshiba Portege 3440, 3480 or 3490,, Fujitsu
    > Stylistic pen computers,,Fujitsu P Series,, Apple ibook,, Compaq M300 series,, Sony
    > Picturebook
    >
    > I will probably find a TP,, maybe one of the X2.. series,, see'n as I am a retired BM'er,,
    > although I have always wanted to play William Tell..
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jim
    >
    > An Old Parrot Head
    > In The Conch Republic
    > Just South of Reality

    Just as a note, some models that you mention do not compare with others.
    The X31, for example, is a Pentium-M machine with all the bells and
    whistles there are (PCMCIA, CF, Firewire, WiFi, Bluetooth), but it is
    not considered at all an "old" machine, and I seriously doubt you'll
    find it for as low as $500. An amazing laptop though.

    >I'd look at the IBM X20 series

    What's the diff between the X series and the T series
    such as the T23?

    me@privacy.net writes:
    > What's the diff between the X series and the T series such as the T23?

    X series is smaller and doesn't have a slot for an internal optical
    drive. The X screens tend to also be smaller. In other regards (CPU,
    software, and so forth) they are similar.

    >me@privacy.net writes:
    >> What's the diff between the X series and the T series such as the T23?
    >
    >X series is smaller and doesn't have a slot for an internal optical
    >drive. The X screens tend to also be smaller. In other regards (CPU,
    >software, and so forth) they are similar.

    Greta info! Thanks

    Now where is a reputable place to buy a used laptop?

    Is this place OK

    http://www.usanotebook.com/

    >If I were you, I'd look at the IBM X20 series.

    where to buy a used one?

    me@privacy.net writes:
    > >If I were you, I'd look at the IBM X20 series.
    > where to buy a used one?

    ebay.

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:59:42 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

    >>If I were you, I'd look at the IBM X20 series.
    >
    >where to buy a used one?

    You can try the classifieds at forums.thinkpads.com.
    Emanuel

    jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I currently use my trusty ThinkPad 600E while on the road for email and as a backup
    > storage & display for my digital camera pictures,, but I am growing tired of lugging the
    > TP and it's associated goodies around..
    >
    > We plan a couple overseas trips this year, one to a wedding in Scotland,, plan to take
    > bunches of pictures and want reliable back-up.
    >
    > I started looking into one of the portable units that are dedicated to digital storage but
    > quickly found that my requirement to VIEW my pictures blew away any coats targets..
    >
    > My thoughts have turned to looking for ultra-small laptop's as a compromise,, and selling
    > my 600e.
    >
    > I would like something similar to the 600e shrunk to about 2 lbs.. I don't need a diskette
    > or cd burner as I can move pictures via a USB port & a 1gb SD card. The drive maybe 20gb??
    > it would be nice to get USB v.2.0, and run XP, display could be as small as they come, but
    > support at least 600x800, 56k modem yes, wireless no,, at least one PC/CIA port,, what did
    > I forget??
    >
    > OH,, and I typically run off the AC brick,, so a machine that can run with-out the battery
    > installed,, saves weight..
    >
    > What brand/models should I look for?? I'm trying to keep the price to around 400$US? Don't
    > laugh,, I can be happy with a P2 or P3 running well under 1 GHz..
    >
    > Is there a ultra that is as stable, common, & loved as the TP 600 series??
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jim
    > An Old Parrot Head
    > In The Conch Republic
    > Just South of Reality

    that a look at this italian babe

    http://flybook.biz/?section=home&lang=en

    features galore, sony and toshiba eat your hearts out.

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:36:42 -0400, Albert Wong <noone@nowhere.000>
    wrote:

    >that a look at this italian babe
    >
    >http://flybook.biz/?section=home&lang=en
    >
    >features galore, sony and toshiba eat your hearts out.

    Interesting, but I notice there are no distributors in North
    America or England; it's not even for sale here on eBay. And though it
    has a touchscreen I'd prefer a Trackpoint mouse included.
    Emanuel

    That machine has a Crusoe processor which disappoints most people who buy
    them. If all you do is send email, it will be OK. But if you try to run
    any serious Windows apps (even Word, Excel and PowerPoint), you'll probably
    be frustrated with how slow it is.

    > that a look at this italian babe
    >
    > http://flybook.biz/?section=home&lang=en
    >
    > features galore, sony and toshiba eat your hearts out.

Laptops