Alienware M17x GPU replacement unavailable

khpusa

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Hello,

I have an Alienware 2008 Area 51 M17x R1 using two Nvidea 9800M GT2 SLI 512mb using windows 7 64 bit. One card has failed with no replacement available. This computer costs thousands and is only two years old and I CAN'T BELIEVE that replacements are not available. What options do I have with you or other manufacturers? What dual card internal set up can I use? Or what external set up could I use by ribbon cable hook up to an external card enclosure using the existing internal connections? What the heck options do I have?

darkphox

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
You can check the mfgr to see if they'll replace it (usually at full cost), or upgrade it (at full cost x2 for sli). Another options is to check the parts going on ebay. Nice thing about gaming laptops is their gpus are not built in to the mobo, but connect via 'MXM interface'. I had a 6800go burn out in an old Sager laptop few years ago...I was able to find a 7900go on ebay and get more life outta my lappie.

Your circumstances are a little more specific. Thing about laptop gpu's...they arent cheap, even for used older ones. Last ditch option, you could try selling your laptop for parts (on ebay...as i eventually did with my old Sager). or just settle for single gpu until you upgrade or something else breaks...Sucks, but options are not that good in this situation :-( Hope this gives you a little hope though!

khpusa

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

Is there any way to ribbon cable out of the laptop to external enclosure and use two desktop style video cards? I know there are some USB single card externals and an ATI GTX external (basically it is a complete pc; processor, power supply vid card and memory). but anyway to use the connectors in the lap top to an external set of SLI cards?