Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on $500-800 build for light gaming

Last response: in Systems
May 5, 2011 10:57:25 PM

I started playing wow again and need to buy a new comp as my current/old one was one of the reasons I quit. I haven't looked at computer stuff in over a year and am quite clueless as to what would be the best bang for my buck atm.

Approximate Purchase Date: in the next week or two

Budget Range: 500-800 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Playing WoW, streaming videos, web surfing

Parts Not Required: all peripherals

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com also anything that may pop up on Slickdeals.net

Country of Origin:
USA

Parts Preferences: used to be picky but not anymore

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: I'd like to keep the price as low as I can as I think too nice of a comp would just be overkill since it's wow.
I mainly want it to be able to play wow at max setting in 1680x1050. Also, if possible I'd like to run dual monitors if I can without going SLI or crossfire; I'd like to play music and surf forums on one monitor while playing wow if possible, hope that's not asking for too much at this price range.

Thanks in advance for any help :) 
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 5, 2011 11:21:45 PM

Siggy 600$ build. More than enough for what you want to do.
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2011 11:39:03 PM

Quote:
Siggy 600$ build. More than enough for what you want to do.
You think I'd be able to run dual monitors efficiently while playing wow and surfing the web? Also, thanks.
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 5, 2011 11:48:24 PM

Yes it would. Here is the review, OH and I say this because I have one personally.

"Since the Radeon HD 5850 is cheaper, it automatically becomes more appealing just by price alone compared to the Radeon HD 5870. However, when it comes to Eyefinity resolutions there can be big differences between the HD 5850 and the HD 5870. DiRT 2 is a good example, in this game we were able to run with all the new fancy DX11 Tessellation effects at 5760x1200 on the Radeon HD 5870, but we were not able to with the Radeon HD 5850. The Radeon HD 5850 is the video card where we would call the edge of what you want to be running with Eyefinity resolutions."
Source: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/05/amds_ati_rade...

Your only running two monitors so yeah. The 5850 is enough.
m
l
May 6, 2011 1:14:37 AM

you should update your "siggy" with a suggestion to opt for the i5-2400 if budget allows, because this always comes up.
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 6, 2011 1:54:58 AM

^ Updated.
m
l
!