My Custom PC randomly refuses to turn on.

jidery

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Hey guys, I built a custom PC about 3 months ago and it has been great! Blazing fast speeds, and everything. However, once in a while, probably every 2 weeks or so, the system refuses to turn on. I press the power buttom like any normal day, and all i get is the fan spinning for maybe a quarter of a second and thats it.

I replaced the PSU thinking that was the problem, and no dice, the problem is back. All i have been able to do to fix it is wait a while, maybe move the case around a bit. After a while it works perfect. This problem seems to only happen when the system has been off for a while, such as over night, and is never a problem when its running.

Any ideas?

ryanlarson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Depending on what CPU you have, I'd check the pins on the bottom of the CPU or the slot on the motherboard to make sure they aren't bent. You might be shorting out something.

Also, check ALL of the connections for each piece of hardware to make sure everything is secure and tight.

SteveMA

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009

Jidery,

I have the same issue (built the PC in Jan '11). Now, in Jan '12 the PC occassionally will not power up. I thought it might be PSU but PSU checked out fine with PSU tester. It has eventually powered up after removing it from the HTPC system and allowing it to cool down (sits near the receiver which runs quite hot) although I am not sure that is the total answer or an answer at all for that matter.

My system:
Chassis-Silverstone LC13B
MB- Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 LGA1156
CPU-Intel Core i3-540 Clarksdale LGA1156
SSD- OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB
HD-2 Samsung F4 HD204UI
Memory-GSkill 2x2GB
OS-Windows 7 Home Premium
OD-Lite On iHES208-08
Wireless-Rosewill RNX250PC
PSU-Corsair CMPSU-550VX

I, too, would appreciate a solution to this issue.
Thanks,
Steve