How to change keyboard assignments

starstruck11

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Hey there!

I have found what I want to do under the "problems" type sections, but never where someone did this on purpose...

Basically, I bought a shitty Toshiba laptop and for some reason the shift key on the left hand side is only half the size of a normal shift key. I bought this laptop purely for class note-taking, I'm starting a Master's program and I do not have time to re-learn how to type!

Is there some way I can assign a \ key to do the shift function, so essentially I would have two keys beside each other both doing the shift function? I've contacted Toshiba and asked if there was a regular keyboard that would fit my laptop I could purchase (because plenty Toshiba laptops are structured normally) and they said no.

I know it sounds like a small thing to deal with, but it is driving me craaaazy! The enter key is also annoyingly small, but I think I can get used to that. For some reason this laptop has a very large number pad on the right-hand side (they usually don't), so that might be why they skimped on a few keys? Not sure! Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
There are plenty of programs out there to do this, not that I am recommending any since I have not tried them.

SharpKeys, KeyTweak, Key Mapper, MapKeyboard...