Using Wireless Bridge for one PC

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2005 10:19:03 AM

Hi.

I have recently got a NetGear ADSL Firewall router as I have just got
Broadband, Model is DG834.

However I have moved my PC out of the room which had Telephone
connection point due to it being refurbished.

I want to make my Broadband access wireless and have heard of something
called a wireless bridge?

Could someone explain what I have to do to make this happen?

thanks

rich

More about : wireless bridge

May 12, 2005 7:08:17 PM

ricky78 <rstewa@acxiom.com> wrote:
: Hi.

: I have recently got a NetGear ADSL Firewall router as I have just got
: Broadband, Model is DG834.

: However I have moved my PC out of the room which had Telephone
: connection point due to it being refurbished.

: I want to make my Broadband access wireless and have heard of something
: called a wireless bridge?

: Could someone explain what I have to do to make this happen?

Not quite sure what you want to do. You want to make your broadband
connection wireless? For that, you will need a wireless access point
(WAP), which you can get for as low as $20. Then you slap that onto
the existing network. Once you set this up, you will be able to use a
laptop within your home via the wireless connection.

Most WAP's you would buy today already have a DSL router (but not the
modem that yours has). What you're looking for us usually called a
"wireless router" even though in your case all you need is the WAP
that is part of that.

Example of what you need: Netgear WG602. But any other wireless
router would work too.

If this isn't want you want to do, what else do you mean?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b F Wireless

"ricky78" <rstewa@acxiom.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I have recently got a NetGear ADSL Firewall router as I have just got
> Broadband, Model is DG834.
>
> However I have moved my PC out of the room which had Telephone
> connection point due to it being refurbished.
>
> I want to make my Broadband access wireless and have heard of something
> called a wireless bridge?
>
> Could someone explain what I have to do to make this happen?
>
> thanks
>
> rich

If it's a *very* recent purchase, return it to the store and get a wireless
version, such as the WGR614 from Netgear, or pick any other vendor.
!