Sign in with
Your question

Comments on this Quiet Photo/Video Editing Build

Last response: in Systems
May 6, 2011 1:49:49 AM

Hi Folks,
This is taken largely from a previous thread I posted, in which jerreddredd gave me a great build for a quiet editing PC. I've taken a couple liberties with that build and want to see if anyone else has suggestions before I pull the trigger. ( Here is the aforementioned post - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum//forum2.php?config=to... )

I'm trying to avoid sales tax from NewEgg, so a lot of this is through Amazon - I hear there are some issues with the way they ship HDD's.
This is my second homebuilt PC, the other one was about 8 years ago. There was an extended dalliance with a Mac.

The priorities are reliable, fast, and quiet. Also wouldn't mind choosing components that I could parlay into a second build when I upgrade again.
Any comments are more than appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Case: Fractal Design Define XL Black ATX Full Tower Silent PC Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811352005
$149.99

PSU: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817151087
$159.99

Memory: (2) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
$219.98
($109.99 each)

Boot Drive: Crucial Technology 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 Series Solid State Drive CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 - Crucial Technology
$220.99

Storage/Raid: (3)Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-OEM Drives, HD103SJ - Samsung
$59.99
Two of these for a RAID 0 scratch disk in Photoshop, and one for storage. I could use some suggestions here, if there are any.

Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600K 3.4GHz 8MB LGA1155 CPU BX80623I72600K - Intel
$314.95

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
219.99 - It's out of stock at Newegg, but I want that 5 year warrantee. I'm not sure if amazon or BH or anywhere else offers it. Can anyone sway me to the ASRock? Newegg was running a special with the GSkill Ram, no longer the case...

Processor Fan: Cooler Master GeminII S Copper Base Aluminum Fins 5 Heatpipes CPU Cooler - (RR-CCH-PBU1-GP) - Coolermaster
$39.97

Case Fan: XIGMATEK eXTREME SILENT Series XSF-F1452 140mm Case Fan
$9.99

OS: Windows 7 Home Premum 64 Bit System Builder 1pk [Old Version] - Microsoft Software; DVD-ROM
$118.03

Paste: Mad Dog Techie Toyz Arctic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound - Thermal paste - Mad Dog Multimedia
$7.65 I usually wouldn't buy something that says both "Mad Dog" and "Toyz" but it's cheaper than Newegg.

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX560 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card N560GTX TI TWIN FROZR II OC - MSI Computer Corp.
$249.99

Total: 1891.49
May 6, 2011 2:08:05 AM

What video programs are you using exactly?

Unless your specifically use Premiere Pro, there is absolutely no reason you need a graphics card. Especially since the rest of the Adobe programs don't even utilize CUDA except Premiere Pro. Even the great After Effects doesn't.

You defiantly also don't need a 750w on a single card. You probably only need 550w at most. I recommend this since you want quiet.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for coolers concern this is a better cooler that is quiet just as well.

Motherboards, you defiantly don't need that motherboard. Warranty maybe 5 years but you can just buy an Gigabyte D3 and get the warranty extra off Newegg. It'll save you at least 70$. The D3 is all you'll ever need as a none-gaming computer.
Buy an extra year and you'll have 4 years of warranty for only $125 total.

RAM you don't need that ram, just save some money and get DDR3 1333, I mean even though some people say it makes a huge difference. It's 1-2 % at most. The biggest influence is the capacity, which you have 16gb of, I honestly think that is crazy but hey, if you think you need it sure. (Personally 8 is enough)
m
l
May 6, 2011 2:37:24 AM

Some people think a powerful gaming computer is the answer to every need . Its not , and I agree with Azn's suggestions .

There is no point paying all that extra money for a motherboard designed for hardcore overclocking and multi graphics card capable, when any P67 chip set board will perform exactly the same in your usage .

Im also confused over the use of an ssd and a RAID array , and a storage drive . The SSD should be providing the speed and reduced loading times you need so a RAID 0 array looks redundant to me .
For storage maybe a RAID 1 array that gives you onboard real time back ups in case of mechanical HDD failure .

And the case looks to be a copy of the antec P183 . Some reviews say the fans are not that quiet .
I'd swap it out for a P183 V3 so you get the front USB 3 port and the quietest case

m
l
Related resources
May 6, 2011 3:15:23 AM

I will be using Premiere Pro and Avid, so I'm going to stick with that card. The point you make about gaming PC's is great, I'm looking at the cooler fan and PSU. Although, these processor fans all seem to have one thing in common, extreme difficulty of install. I didn't really know enough about PSU's to make an educated choice, the SeaSonic looks to be reliable, quiet, and high quality.

The RAID 0 array, as I understand it, is for my scratch disk in Photoshop. I'll be dealing with very large file sizes and volumes; and the striped RAID will boost my performance significantly. If my understanding is off, could you point me to an article that explains why?

Thanks guys.
m
l
May 6, 2011 3:20:40 AM

So what about the motherboard, does the D3 satisfy you with a 4yr warranty @ $125

Also, if you find Heatsinks hard to install, what is the point to install the Gemini either? They all install just the same so why not just get the one that is quieter? Just because it looks hard doesn't mean it is.
m
l
May 6, 2011 3:58:33 AM

I'm looking at this
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157229
$159.99
I looked at the comparison chart on this site, and couldn't really find a reason why I would need more than this. And forgive me for being a little bit of a ratings bitch, but this one has received some great feedback.

The fan seems like a great choice though, I'll probably go with that.

m
l
May 6, 2011 4:14:37 AM

Yes, that's because it is a solid board. But for you, there is no reason for you to get that board. Your not even gaming. And even if you were, you'd only need 1 at most. Those reviews may not even be the most trustworthy, half of them probably have a tech level of 1 and just say they have 5/5 tech level. They probably have no experience at all with computers, they just say it's solid because they have it running fine. Granted, the board is a great board. But I'm scratching my head as to why you need it. You said you REALLY WANT 5 years warranty, that board only offers 2 years and 3 if you buy 1 extra year. So I'm REALLY confused at your wants.
m
l
May 6, 2011 4:21:40 AM

To that point, I don't want to be restricted by any of the components. If I decide to put a game or two on the computer, I won't have any issues down the road. This computer is something I'm going to be with for a while. I'm fine with the extra 50 bucks for a really solid board, even though the board you recommended looks good.. The 5 year warrantee was really a question about Amazon's warrantee policies. More of a bonus for going with Newegg and paying the sales tax.
m
l
May 6, 2011 4:35:17 AM

The board I recommended will last you a long time, though it will not support SLI because SLI doesn't support 16x/4x. Anyways, the 560 Ti is a good enough card that you would not need to get another card to game. Also, the difference from a P8P67 (140$) to a Asrock Extreme4 P67 (160$) is very small. You wouldn't even notice the difference in reality. Saying that you'd be restricted by a higher end chipset (P67) motherboard is just wrong because the separation of performance is small little.

The GD65 is 180$ so comparable to the Asrock Extreme4, so. Here is a comparison from a 180 vs 140:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/01/1...
Barely a difference at all.
m
l
May 6, 2011 6:40:45 AM

JJJetel said:
I will be using Premiere Pro and Avid, so I'm going to stick with that card. The point you make about gaming PC's is great, I'm looking at the cooler fan and PSU. Although, these processor fans all seem to have one thing in common, extreme difficulty of install. I didn't really know enough about PSU's to make an educated choice, the SeaSonic looks to be reliable, quiet, and high quality.

The RAID 0 array, as I understand it, is for my scratch disk in Photoshop. I'll be dealing with very large file sizes and volumes; and the striped RAID will boost my performance significantly. If my understanding is off, could you point me to an article that explains why?

Thanks guys.

While you are working on an image [ or images] there should be sufficient space on the SSD boot drive , which will be faster than the striped RAID array .
When you save them then the speed is less an issue , and the RAID 1 array gives you data security.
Thats the way I'd set it up
But it will depend on how many of these large files you work on at any one time .

The seasonic is a good psu . But you dont need to spend that much . Many other PSU's are good too and lots cheaper
The money you save here can be spent on upping the SSD size perhaps .

CPU coolers are not that hard to fit . Follow the instructions and you will be fine . Fit the cpu , cooler and RAM into the board before you put it in the case .

A 5 year waranty is pretty pointless IMO . Very lfew electronic components that lasts 12 months will ever fail . But even if it did last 4 and a half years and then fail it would be so hopelessly outclassed by more modern systems that rebuilding it is a bit pointless .
m
l
May 6, 2011 10:42:51 PM

^ Well OP wants quiet and I'm not exactly sure but others like Antecs aren't exactly quiet or as quiet as Seasonics.
m
l
May 7, 2011 2:07:59 AM

aznshinobi said:
^ Well OP wants quiet and I'm not exactly sure but others like Antecs aren't exactly quiet or as quiet as Seasonics.

I have one of those very nice seasonic built Corsair HX 620's
You cant even tell its running

But even so there are 500 watt psu's that are also very quiet

m
l
May 7, 2011 8:55:14 PM

I believe there is FROZR III out now for the 560s, not sure if you're willing to drop the extra cash on it though.
m
l
May 7, 2011 11:19:03 PM

^ Not even worth it yet until it goes down to the standard 230-250 price of the 560's.
m
l
!