Help - Setting raid on P8Z77-V PRO motherboard

little_matts

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Hello,

I have read through some of the tutorials described here to get a raid setup done but sill have some confusion. Some of the info provided by user "jaquith" was quite informative but still i feel like a fool when i ask this.. but I have no option left than ask than to get a corrupted disk..

I am building a new system with config
MoBo: P8Z77- V Pro
Proc: I7 2700K
RAM: Corsair 8GB RAM 1600
SSD: Corsair Force 3 SSD (Boot Drive)
HDD:
1) 2x2TB HDD for Raid1 Setup
2) 3 other HDDs of different capacity to work as normal independant drives that could store junk data. << Taken it from my old system ;P
PSU: Corsair HX750

OS Choice: Windows 7 Ultimate

What I am trying to achieve ;)

A Windows 7 Ultimate machine with SSD as primary boot drive with proper bios config for the same and a RAID1 setup that would store my critical data safe and place the other 3 hard drives to work independent and not raid.

My doubts.. dont laugh at it :(
1) What BIOS setup i should start with and which all ports on mother board i should connect the hdds to.

2) Is there any change in bios to be done to get the optimum performance from SSD and my RAID1 setup

3) If one drive fails among RAID1; will the system replicate thew new replaced drive automatically or do i need to do a manual replication. If so how is it done (would not be able to go for RAID5 or RAID10 since i have only budget for 2HDDs)

Hope my doubts would find light... :)

Solution
I use them on Asus and Gigabyte motherboards. Presuming that you're using the ICH10R controller, you really should download and install Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers and utilities.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-032714.htm
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=20624&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

After setting it up, why not simulate a RAID 1 issue and fix it? That way you'll feel more confident if an issue occurs later on. You should obviously back it up on a regular basis.

little_matts

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Studied all the way through books and setup guide to get a full detail on setup.. i think i got to be more into reading than asking..

But still one doubt in my mind.. I did not see any thing mentioned about rebuilding the array for Raid1 setup in asus or other manuals.. any idea how the rebuild is done..??!!

On a vast search it says the bios where raid is selected and configured dsnt have an option to rebuild the array. . do i have to use extra software?

little_matts

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Thank you GhislainG, thats so kind of you to spend some time add a word for my query..

But are you sure the intel utilities would work for asus mobo?! And i have seen some others asking on forums about rebuilding issue.. They say the array dsnt rebuild on replacement of hdd.. so just got worried and asked.. Have you ever had experience on the same issue before..

Anyways i thank you once agian for the good heart to add a reply for my thread

I use them on Asus and Gigabyte motherboards. Presuming that you're using the ICH10R controller, you really should download and install Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers and utilities.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=20624&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

After setting it up, why not simulate a RAID 1 issue and fix it? That way you'll feel more confident if an issue occurs later on. You should obviously back it up on a regular basis.

Solution

little_matts

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Thank you very much friend. and sorry for the delay in answering..

To try that out i need to have 2 HDDs of 2 TB. If the test failed i would have one spare hdd useless.

What i am planning now is to get one 2TB HDD and use one external hard drive like goflex to get the backup done using software.. that would be less complicated. What i need is backup than speed.

If you have some thoughts pls enlighten me. and once again thank you for the time you take to support me.

To try that out i need to have 2 HDDs of 2 TB. If the test failed i would have one spare hdd useless.
In your original post, you wrote that you were getting two 2TB drives; therefore testing the RAID should be a non-issue. Even when you implement a RAID 1 configuration, backups always are required. You could delete files by mistake, the system could be stolen or destroyed, etc.

little_matts

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

Yups mate, that was my initial plan.. i got everything here other than hdds and cpu cooler. The overall idea was to get the raid done.. but now i guess i better go with external hdds with backup software since the primary aim is backup. Also i could take the backup along if required. I hope you would agree with that.

The cpu cooler thing is in doubt now.. I ordered TT Frio but recently saw some reviews that it has conflict with big ram modules. I am using corsair vengence and it has a bit tall heatsink. I am using only two modules but still worried if that would push the cpu cooler aside. Now waiting for the stuff to arrive to see if it goes well.. Have asked some of the members in this forum to send images of their setup.. but being a new member here i am not sure if they would do that for me.. :D

Also gng for a Dell 2414M 24 inch 1920x1200 display ..

Always great to have a friend like you beside who come up with advices.. i am greatful..

The overall idea was to get the raid done.. but now i guess i better go with external hdds with backup software since the primary aim is backup. Also i could take the backup along if required. I hope you would agree with that.
Definitely as that's what I do.
Have asked some of the members in this forum to send images of their setup.. but being a new member here i am not sure if they would do that for me.. :D
Pictures can be taken while the motherboard is outside of the case, but once installed, it's difficult to take pictures that show the gap between the cooler and memory modules.

You can easily find pictures on Google:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/32294-thermaltake-frio-cpu-cooler-review-6.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46275&stc=1&d=1332157067

little_matts

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
OMG, very less space between memory in one pic.. but in other pic it seems okey..

The best thing to do is to hope for the best.. coz as you mentioned i been googling and youtubeing videos on the installation of frio.. while some gives a bad feeling others gives a relief.. hehe.. kind of balancing act.. ;)

i have two modules and i guess that would fit in A2 and B2 slot of mobo. very much in doubt if it would fit a1 and b1 coz of the hight of heat sink of vengence.

hey dude.. do you have any idea how much thermal paste i should apply.. i been looking for info on internet and some say a peanut size in the middle would do.. while some others spread the paste evenly wiht credit card on the cpu..

dude.. make sure you reply when you get enough free time only.. i am one big mouth and keeps asking.. ;)

hey dude.. do you have any idea how much thermal paste i should apply.. i been looking for info on internet and some say a peanut size in the middle would do.. while some others spread the paste evenly wiht credit card on the cpu..
The purpose of thermal paste is to fill the voids between the HSF and the CPU, not to isolate it. I prefer to apply a very very thin layer using a credit card, but pea size also is fine.

little_matts

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012

Will sure try it out.. but in some tutorial reviews it says spreading it would not be even in most of the case and so it might end up in air bubbles formed inbetween which would cause thermal issues..

will do post the updates mate.. :)

little_matts

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Hia friend... at last i got frio installed.. the first ram module was hidden below the frio for ASUS p8z77vpro ... so any of you guys buy it be aware that they can only use normal size ram modules for this.

GhislainG, i was confused hot to make it neat while spreading.. so did the dot thing.. havnt started the machine since i am awaiting liteon sata dvd drive now..

I am all greatful for your kind heart to add a word of support .. will keep in touch

Latest posts