Sign in with
Your question

Need recomendations

Last response: in Systems
May 6, 2011 3:08:45 AM

Hi,
My friend has a Dell XPS computer that he bought a few year ago. It's a dual core E6850, 2gb of ram and a 8800gt 512mb GPU. He is also runnung Vista 32 bit. Recently he asked me for some help cause he wants to get a few upgrades for his computer. He is a big FPS fan and is really looking forward to Battlefield 3. However, he wants to have a good gaming experience. I told him he should get a GTX 550ti since his monitor isn't very big. I also suggested he should also upgrade to Windows 7 64bit and get another 2 gigs of ram. Would that be good enough for him? I believe he has a 19" panel so the video power doesn't have to be very high. Is there anything else he should do? His other friend told him it was pointless to upgrade his OS and that he should just go for a better video card like a GTX 560ti and he would spend about the same. So, what should he do? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thx!

More about : recomendations

a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2011 3:19:10 AM

His friend is kind of right. The 550 ti is not a good card. It's overpriced. What is his budget? Also, what are his PSU specs? With those things cleared up, we can help you much better.
m
l
May 6, 2011 3:52:46 AM

striker410 said:
His friend is kind of right. The 550 ti is not a good card. It's overpriced. What is his budget? Also, what are his PSU specs? With those things cleared up, we can help you much better.

He has a 750watt power supply but he doesn't know what brand it is.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2011 3:56:04 AM

Alright. When you can, get back to me with his budget for upgrades, and the model of PSU. I need to know what connectors are on the PSU, since certain video cards require different connectors. The easiest way to do that would be to get the model number.
m
l
May 6, 2011 4:04:56 AM

He doesn't really now what model of PSU he has. I was trying for figure it out at the dell website but it doesn't say. He has a Dell XPS 720. His budget is no more $400.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2011 4:25:11 AM

All the has to do is pop off the side and take a look.... But it doesn't matter, I found the PSU. Ok, it has 2 6pin PCI connnectors, so you should be alright.
The cpu isn't anything special, but assuming he doesnt want to do a total overhaul, so this is the best he can do.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $170

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $45

GPU is a tough one. I would suggest a 5850 though: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph... $150

That all comes out to $365, and should keep his system doing well for a while. It's kind of hard on the CPU front, as that CPU is outdated. But, it's the best he can do without a total rebuild right now.

Also, I threw in a whole new set of ram, unless he can tell me the EXACT specs on the ram.

Hope it goes well!

EDIT: keep vista for now, spend the money on the parts above.
m
l
!